Random Friday Observations

Friday seems to be a good day to wrap up loose ends on this blog ‘o mine.  Maybe "Random Friday Observations" can be my own little column.  That way, the next time I go to a dinner party with Hubby and am asked, "So what do you do?" I can say, in all honesty, "I’m a columnist."  As opposed to, "I do extraordinary amounts of laundry and wipe poo-poo off the hiney of the world’s cutest 15 month old."  But I digress. On to my "column"…

First of all, may I just tell you that there is no way in Heaven or earth that I am going to see this movie.  I would never leave my children with a babysitter again, I’m sure.  Can anyone explain why movies like this do well at the box office?  Why would I want to pay $8.50 to be terrified?  Watching the nightly news these days terrifies me, and it’s free.

Secondly, let’s all join hands and sing together…"The Olympics are here, the Olympics are here!"  Tonight is the opening ceremony, and you will be able to find me cuddled on the couch with my kiLogo_iocds and a big bowl of popcorn.  I’m not much of a cry-er normally, but the opening ceremonies get me every time.  I have gotten my kids whipped into an absolute frenzy this week with talk about the torch that runs all the way around the world, the nations that compete together even though some of them are at war…I’m telling you, it will be a Kleenex-fest at my house tonight.

My blogging buddy Heather has a launched a new site and a new blogging award–head on over there to see it.  Speaking of new sites, my transition to Typepad has been painless and easy, except for the nasty effect it had on my Blogtopsites rating.  Typepad, as it turns out, is so easy to use–I’m very pleased with it.  I know some of you have considered switching yourselves–I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Lastly, I can’t resist sneaking in a C.S. Lewis quote at every possible opportunity:  "Because we love something else more than this world we love even this world better than those who know no other."  (From God In the Dock).

Happy weekend!

Posted in: Fun

9 thoughts on “Random Friday Observations

1. chilihead says:

I’m writing a “column” (LOVE that) about the Olympics too! How funny. I tell you sometimes it’s a little freaky how similar we think.
    I made it to 20 comments thanks to you! Another milestone under my belt. You rock.

2. Heth says:

Random Friday Observations is a great idea.
    I will never see that movie either. Nate was watching some scarey show last night and he kept feeling the need to “share the scarey love” with me. (He was watching it on his computer with the headphones on, he kept turning on the speakers so I could hear too, isn’t that sweet?!) I HAAAAATE scarey movies.
    Happy Opening Ceremonies to you!

3. Carol says:

I’m with you. Being frightened is not at all entertaining.
    I’m glad you’re enjoying TypePad. I agree – it totally rocks! (But I still want a custom blogskin.)

4. another mom says:

Aaaahh, the Olympics, with a capital “O”. I love, love, love them!! The olympic torch actually came through our Small Town several years ago. It was very exciting and I went and stood on a street corner in the cold waiting for a glimpse. Great fun!! I, too, will be cozied up on the couch with popcorn tonight.

5. Randi says:

Honestly, scary movies are a little weakness of mine–LOVE THEM! As long as they are not slasher movies or freaky satanic-type stuff, I enjoy it. I liked the babysitter movie, the old version is one of my faves!

6. GiBee says:

I have a hard enough time leaving my 4 month old with my in-laws… let alone a babysitter! That movie is TOTALLY off limits for me, otherwise, I might never leave my child with a babysitter! Besides, I get nightmares if I see anything scary … especially if they have anything to do with children. And my dreams can be just as scary as the movie! Thanks for the warning.
    Have fun tonight watching the Olympic opening ceremony! We’ll be readying ourselves for a nice NorEastern snowstorm!

7. Linsey says:

YAY!!! Olympics!!! I am so excited!
    I agree about The stranger calls movie. I usually like scary movies, but for some reason that one seems too creepy.

8. Lauren says:

I never watch scary movies, not since I saw The Exorcist when I was fourteen and peed my bed that night!
    Love the column idea. [Note to self: come up with something original would ya?!]
    Love ya Shannon, congrats on the award nomination!