The Night of the Edible Planets

Last weekend was my oldest son’s Blue and Gold Banquet .  This is the annual celebration for a Cub Scout pack in which all the boys’ achievements are celebrated.  I was my son’s proud "date" for the event.  The theme was "Out Of This World", and they had told us ahead of time that they would be presenting a trophy to the boy whose parent could come up with the most creative, theme-oriented dessert.  No pressure there, right?

We didn’t win, but I thought I’d show off the clever little dessert we rigged up. (I’m usually the send-a-box-of-Little-Debbies mom, so when I do something like this, I want it documented for all to see!) It was actually pretty easy, and it could be adapted for a space-themed birthday party:

Dscn1470

The sun is made from a 9" round pan, and the planets are cupcakes.  Here are a couple of close-ups:

Dscn1472

Dscn1471

You should’ve seen the desserts that won:  cookies made to look like Martian fingers and a 3-D solar system with gumball planets.  Serious stuff.

23 thoughts on “The Night of the Edible Planets

1. melnel says:

I’m with you on the “send some Little Debbies”. 🙂 Or some Oreos. Everyone likes Oreos. Especially boy scouts.
    But these look totaly awesome! Anyone who spends enough time in the kitchen to make an edible 3D solar system dessert deserves some kind of reward. Kudos to you!

2. Jodi says:

Hi!
    I’ve been lurking on your blog for a few days. Thank you so much for sharing this idea! My first-grade DS is studying astronomy in homeschool this year, and I’m planning an end-of-year celebration in a couple months. This will be a GREAT addition to the party!

3. Carol says:

Okay. That is way too cool. If I had to do some planetary celebration thing, I’d probably end up buying the sun cake and setting the Oreo’s around it.
    All with the red swirlies for mercury…. You take the cake, Shannon!

4. peach says:

I go read a few books with my little guy, watch a video that I admittedly slept through some of, and look at what you did while I was gone!! These are beautiful. You get a gold star in my book, Miss Shannon! I’m usually the Little Debbie mom, too, so I admire your creativity greatly. Goodie for you!!

5. Shalee says:

I love this idea!
    And it is absolutely true that we parents are really the creative force behind all the cooking… which is why my kids don’t have a chance…
    BTW, I love the new look!

6. Joe Goodwin says:

Cool cake – sounds like the Pack had quite a wing-ding. By the way, if your son made rank, please pass on this Scoutmaster’s congratulations.

7. jenn v says:

YOU were ROBBED!! You totally should’ve won that award – your solar system is AWESOME!! It does, however, give me a great idea for my son’s b-day preschool treat for next week (since he is in love with Disney’s Little Einsteins and their rocket). Thanks for posting this….i love the everyday stuff.

8. GiBee says:

Obviously, it was some man judging the desserts, because if it was a woman, she would have given you an award just for the awesome use of color. Men don’t understand how hard it is to get the right color on frosting with food coloring! Sheesh!

9. Rhonda says:

3-d solar system with gumballs? Gumballs are not a desert. A cupcake solar system. That’s good eating. I think you were robbed. 🙂