Day Five: Magic

I don’t think that I have the writing abilities to record what today was like.  And really, you don’t have to read through all these details–it’s mostly for the benefit for my family, who is checking this.  But if you’d like to come along on today’s journey, hop on board…

Dscn1626_1

Today was our first day at Magic Kingdom.  If you’ve ever been there, you know there’s so much to see and do that it’s almost too much to take in.  We paced ourselves, getting the lay of the land and hitting a few of the rides we didn’t want to miss (the Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin and Goofy’s Barnstormer were huge hits).  We met Mulan and Belle, despite my boys’ insistence that they don’t want the autographs of "all those princesses" (I told them they’d thank me someday).  But by mid-afternoon, we were all tired, and we came back to our hotel for an afternoon rest.  When we headed back to the park at 4:30, we were refreshed and ready for a full evening.  And it was a good thing, because the magic was really about to begin…

First we scared the bejeebers out of the oldest two on the Haunted Mansion ride–four-year-old Joseph was the bravest of the bunch.  Then we headed to our first character dinner at the Liberty Tree Tavern.  We ate with Minnie, Pluto, Chip and Dale, and the star of the show–Goofy.  The characters were delightful–so interactive with the kids.  At one point Pluto chased seven-year-old Stephen around our table, and he sneaked up on Hubs and licked him on the ear (the kids loved that).  It was dark by the time we left (and PERFECT weather), and time to cue up for the SpectroMagic parade.  The friends we came with, the W family, had secured spots for us directly in front of Cinderella’s castle.  So we happily sat and waited for the parade with our $42 worth of light-up toys and overly-full tummies.

The parade was phenomenal.  Nearly every imaginable Disney character was represented, covered in lights (here’s a lousy picture of Cinderella–sorry, I don’t do nighttime pictures well):

Dscn1647

Then, the fireworks began.  OH, the fireworks!  In true Disney style, they were breathtaking.  The entire castle faded from one color to another as the sky lit up in perfect sync with the best Disney songs ever made.  The looks on my boys’ faces were of sheer wonder!  And I’m not sure there was any less wonder on mine and Hub’s faces, as well–as the songs and fireworks crescendoed to Jiminy Cricket’s version of "When You Wish Upon A Star" you could practically feel the pixie dust.

Dscn1653

When the fireworks ended, the crowds spilled out of the park…but not us!  We were too excited to leave, and the park was open for another hour.  So we swam upstream to FantasyLand and rode to our hearts’ content with hardly any crowds.  Disney’s Philharmagic was excellent, and of course, we couldn’t miss MY favorite…It’s a Small World.  If you’ve ever ridden it, you know that the cheese factor is pretty high (eight-year-old Adam remarked, "Sheesh, don’t these kids know it’s okay to be sad?").  But Joseph and I were equally captivated by the adorable little characters singing in every possible language.  (Here’s a terrible picture of Hubs and me on the ride–sunburned, tired, but very happy):
Dscn1654

The loudspeakers announced it was time to leave, and we grudgingly left amid promises we’d return tomorrow.  As we walked down Main Street USA, all five of us hand-in-hand, I have to say that my heart nearly popped right open.

27 thoughts on “Day Five: Magic

1. Karin says:

What ages are your children? You have ME thinking about a Magic Kingdom trip now.
    Hmmm… I vaguely remember you saying you had prewritten posts for your blog while on your trip? πŸ˜‰

2. Sary says:

Shannon,
    I’ve been a reader for quite a while now and never commented, but I just loved this post! My parents took my 4 siblings and I to Disney World a looong time ago – but I still remember the magic! It was the best trip we’d ever taken and I’ll never forget it. I’m sure your family will never forget their first trip to Disney World either.

3. peach says:

I hope you are taking copious mental notes, because I want to follow in your footsteps when we take ours to Disney someday.

4. Stacey says:

Isn’t it amazing how magical it is?? My kids thought Disneyland was great, I can’t even imagine what would happen if we went to Disney World! Have fun today and take lots of pictures : )

5. jennifer Jordan says:

We will be at Magic Kingdom next week. We too are excited. My kids have never been and your entry made me all the more excited about our trip. I cant wait to see the kids faces and my heart is sure to burst open!

6. Goslyn says:

Ahh, Disney is SO much fun. I finally dragged my husband there in 2003. He had never been. And it was magical, just as you describe it. He went kicking and screaming, but I know he’s glad we went. The magic of it all is nearly overwhelming.
    Did you ride Pirates of the Carribbean? That’s one of my favorites, too.

7. Sue says:

My Grandma took me to Disneyland the first year it opened! This year it is celebrating it’s 50th anniversary. We now take our grandchildren every Christmas! It is so wonderous to see the delight first in the eyes of our own children, and then to watch your children experience their children’s delight. I love Disney just as much now as I did then!
    Thanks for sharing your experience!

8. momrn2 says:

We have never been to Disney. Must try to get there some day after reading all of these posts. It truly does sound… well… almost “Magical”! Thanks for sharing! So glad everyone is having a SPLENDID time! Continue to enjoy! (and I’ll go get ready for work… πŸ™‚ )

9. chilihead says:

I was so excited when you called last night! I could tell how wonderful everything was and I couldn’t stop smiling. I’m so glad you were able to see the parade and the fireworks–those are two of the best things! My hubs has to see the fireworks EVERY NIGHT we are there. Even if we haven’t been to MK that day, he’ll make the trek over there after dinner. πŸ˜€
    Miss you guys!

10. Karen says:

Ok, my heart is nearly popping reading this. What a beautiful, memorable day. I loved reading every minute, I especially love the picture of the three boys. How priceless. I’m so excited that you’re having a good time!!!
    I wanna go to Orlando now.

11. grammyelin says:

Shannon, I’m so glad you’re having a wonderful time. I went to Disneyland for the first time when our oldest graduated from high school. (We let our graduating sr. choose the family vacation that year.) Heather chose Disneyland and we will never forget the MAGIC of that trip. All of us bought Disney time pieces so that no matter where we were, we would be bound to gether by happy family memories whenever we checked the time.

12. Mary says:

I’m so glad to hear someone else likes “It’s a Small World”. It’s so exciting just to hear about your trip! You’re giving us all a little mini-vacation to our day! Thanks! Have loads of fun for us!

13. ken says:

Hey Shannon, sounds like Mouse World is a blast. I’m a frequent reader of your blog, and thought I would “delurk” myself. I find your blog, as well as all the others I read to be great inspirations, even if most of them are by women. I did put a link for your blog on mine, (which is pretty new), but I in no way expect you to reciprocate. Have fun in Orlando, and keep up the awesome work. Gob bless you and your family.

14. GiBee says:

Oh, Shannon… I’m so glad you’re posting live …. errr … I mean … having such a splendid time. You look beautiful in the picture you posted… positively radiant and glowing (okay, maybe it’s the sunburn).
    I’m so glad that you and the family are enjoying yourselves so much! Blessings to you, friend!

15. Susie says:

I can honestly say that this is the first time I’ve ever got teary-eyed reading about someone’s vacation. It just warms my heart to know that you and your sweet family are having such a wonderful time. πŸ™‚ Enjoy!