Signs of Spring

I once heard a mom say that she could tell it was spring when her good spoons started disappearing into the sandbox.  And how true it is–the trees start budding and my little boys begin their backyard antics for the season.  I’ll share some pictures of what is already underway.

A helicopter becomes a propellor:

Signofspring1jpg

A decorative ship’s steering wheel, dangling from a shoelace, becomes a handy place to hang badminton rackets (that may be the oddest sentence I’ve ever written):

Signofspring2jpg

The upper level of the fort becomes…well, I’m not sure what they had in mind, but evidently lawn chairs, orange cones and hocky pucks are part of the plan.

Signofspring3jpg

I love this time of year!

to be a fool
while Spring is in the world
my blood approves

–ee cummings

21 thoughts on “Signs of Spring

1. chilihead says:

Oh yes! I love how their little minds work! I’m always amazed at what I find. Thank you for sharing those. I am working on hubs to build a treehouse, but so far it’s a no go. My dad IS coming this weekend though…maybe I can talk him into it. 😀

2. Heth says:

I love it. Creative little buggers aren’t they?
    From about April first to the end of September, we all eat cereal with forks, the spoons are all gone.

3. peach says:

It makes me wonder why we spend money on “real” toys at all. Their creativity is sparked totally without the trappings of toys created by some adult in a testing room somewhere. Let their imaginations run wild. Who knows where it will eventually take them? Very Cool!

4. Chaotic Mom says:

Yes, VERY creative ones you have! Maybe they found their last vacation inspiring?
    I’m such a pessimist, I see those things and then think, “More to clean up…”. Me thinks me needs to relax and enjoy the warm sun a tad more! 😉

5. Diane says:

I miss this time of the year…when my children were younger. My youngest is 14 and has recently lost his zest for creative playing! Oh–he plays alright…but, according to him, it is a more mature, sophisticated level of entertainment: X-box, Playstation, …… Game Cube….:)
    I think when he gets home from school…I’ll send him outside with a few miscellaneous items and tell him to “go at it!”
    While I’m not sure my son thanks you for the photos…I do!
    Diane

6. momrn2 says:

I love it when my kids can play outside in the fresh air. I love it even more when they are having fun using their imaginations and creativity like that. How wonderful!

7. GiBee says:

How adorable is that! They are very inventive!!! Can’t wait until that “season in my life!”
    Must keep you on your toes, though!

8. Shalee says:

Anything to get them outside and playing with what God gave them- sunshine, dirt and a world of imagination! (We usually have to go find the spoons for eating breakfast the next morning…)

9. At A Hen's Pace says:

Welcome back from Disney! I vicariously enjoyed your trip!
    My boys have been outside this week too–because of the warmer weather and because their big brother is home on spring break this week. Fifteen, and finding that he still enjoys playing army and fort. He drew the line at cowboys, tho.
    He always was the one dragging EVERYTHING outside, to build similar creations to your boys’!

10. Tina says:

I wanted a little girl so badly when I was pregnant that it never occured to me that it might be a boy. I hate to admit that I was disappointed for a while after I found out. Now that I have my boy, I don’t know what I was thinking – I love having a boy and would love to have another. It proves God knows what He’s doing and he shouldn’t really listen to me about some things because I’m usually wrong!