Treasure Tuesday

This morning I thought I’d play along with Faithful Mommy’s Treasure Tuesday.  There are few things I treasure more than family photos, and the older the better.  This is one of my very favorites:

Those are my paternal grandparents, when they were 22 years old.  This picture was taken a couple of months after Pearl Harbor was bombed.  My grandfather was stationed in Washington State, and the West Coast was (understandably) under a huge strain after Pearl Harbor was bombed.  Blackouts and bombing drills were a regular part of life as residents fully expected that they would be attacked next. My grandmother described it as a frightening time, but still a sweet one for her, as she was still a newlywed in her first home with my grandfather.  Only a couple more months after this was taken, my grandfather was deployed for two years.  My grandmother wrote to him every single day.

24 thoughts on “Treasure Tuesday

1. STacey says:

What a great picture!! You can see so much in their eyes… love, fear, worry… what a scary time to be starting a family!! Thanks for sharing this treasure.

2. Kim from Hiraeth says:

I love my family pictures, too.
    I spent a lot of time over this past weekend exploring the many wonderful antiques shops in northern Wisconsin and it made me sad to find a shelf of family photos in old, musty shoe boxes marked, “women” “men” “girls” “boys” “children” “homestead” “families”
    All those pictures should be treasured by the families that were produced by those little boys and little girls and farmers standing in front of barns with sons lined up like stair steps, and grandmas in wheelchairs in front of birthday cakes and all the other images I saw over the weekend.
    I’m glad your little ones live in a home where such things are treasured.

3. Faith says:

I love your treasure. Pictures are so important(of course I am a photographer), my pics are sooo important to me. Thanks for playing along. ;D

4. Diane says:

What a treasured photo. I have some of my own as well. What wonderful keepsakes…to share with our children…and future generations!

5. Queen Beth says:

What a beautiful picture! Don’t you just love the wonderful stories our grandparents tell us about days gone by? I love it. My grandparents were so cute in their old pictures!!

6. momrn2 says:

So incredible that you have that kind of history to accompany this picture! Not hard at all to see why this would be a treasure. Thanks for sharing!

7. GiBee says:

Oh, what a wonderful story! An old fashioned love story, to be exact… how absolutely romantic. And the picture is beautiful!
    Even though you’ve been posting while in Disney… we still missed you oodles and oodles!!! Welcome home, sister!

8. momrn2 says:

What an incredible piece of history to accompany this picture! Truly this is a treasure. I have no problem seeing that at all! Thanks for sharing! (if I post a similar comment twice… sorry. I’m having trouble with my connection)

9. Heth says:

Oh how precious. I love the stories of our grandparents. It’s fun to remember that they were young and in love, they have so much to offer.

10. chilihead says:

What a great picture. I’m impressed that you also have stories to go with it. Looking at them and knowing what their lives were like, then thinking about myself at 22 and what my life was like…WOW. Our grandparents were really so much more mature at a younger age. It seems our children “grow up” so fast but it’s the way they dress, the music they hear, the sexual overtones of things and the violence of certain things. Our children (not OURS, just in general) mistake growing up with maturity. They aren’t maturing as they are growing (blanket statement). Sorry…didn’t mean for that to get out of hand.
    Love the picture!

11. Morning Glory says:

Oh, what a lovely picture! After my Dad died 4 years ago, I came home with a suitcase full of old family snapshots and exquisite portraits, all from such a long time ago. I think they are one of the greatest treasures I have!

12. Kate says:

OK, has anyone told you that you look like your grandma? I see a lot of beautiful resemblance in that picture.
    That picture is a true treasure. You can see the love they shared. 🙂

13. Mary says:

I love old pictures too, even if they’re someone else’s pics! Have you seen any of the letters that your grandmother wrote your grandfather? Those would surely be a treasure as well. I worry that with all the e-mailing we do we are not leaving those great memories behind for other generations.

14. Amy says:

How wonderful to see this picture! It is hard to believe they were only 22….We still need to go through all the pictures in the old trunk at the cabin–it is a virtual gold mine of photos like this.
    Glad you all made it back safely and had such a good time.

15. Kathryn, The DYM says:

That is so sweet. I listen to stories of women who gave up their husbands back then and those who do it today and I wonder how life is possible with that kind of uncertainty.