Further Proof That Motherhood Is Eroding My Brain Cells

Sonybabymonitorlg

For a split second today, I honest-to-gosh thought I smelled a dirty diaper OVER THE BABY MONITOR.

Please, oh please, share some of your stupider mothering moments so that I won’t feel quite so bad.  Please?

29 thoughts on “Further Proof That Motherhood Is Eroding My Brain Cells

1. Sarah says:

For probably the same split-second, I thought the dog was rubbing against my foot. When I realized we didn’t have a dog, I jerked as if my foot were aflame. My poor husband was just trying to love on me with a socked foot. Sleep deprivation will kill us!

2. chilihead says:

When Wild Thing was about 2 months old I sat her down on the floor because Max needed my attention. She promptly fell right over. I forgot that she couldn’t sit up yet.
    I’m sure that’s not my best one, but I can’t wipe away the fog of my brain to find the others.

3. Megan says:

When Maddie was a newborn, she cried one night to be fed (like all newborns do) and Craig said he was going to get her. I fell back asleep. Several hours later, I woke up in a panic, shook Craig awake and asked him what he did with Maddie. He told me she was fine – that he had put her UNDER OUR BED. I jumped off the bed to rescue the baby only to find the usual dust bunnies. I ran into her room to find her sleeping peacefully in her crib.
    I don’t know who was more sleep deprived – Craig for telling me he had put the baby under the bed, or me for looking…

4. Missy says:

I was standing in an aisle at Wal-Mart looking at something. I had something in my hand, my purse maybe? I all of a realized I was swaying back and forth and patting my purse on the bottom, just like I do the baby.
    When baby boy was a newborn, I took all four to the library. When we got in the van, I couldn’t find my keys. And I had just used them to open the van! I searched for 20 minutes. I had my girls pick all of the jackets and other miscellaneous junk that was on the floor, shake it out and throw it in the back. And all the while everybody going in the library was staring at me like I was some sort of lunatic. Out of desperation I even sent my oldest in to ask at the desk for lost keys. Finally, a nice lady helped me look and she found them in about one minute…in the back door of my van!!! I had opened it up to look for a diaper for my 3yo. What a ditz.
    My other one is a real whopper. I’ve been meaning to blog about it. Stay tuned….

5. Meredith says:

One time I took my 1 year old daughter with me on an all day outing, the nearest store being far far away. I went to change her diaper, tossed the old one in a garbage can, realized that I had forgotten to bring any changes with me, dug the used diaper out of the garbage can after verifying that it didn’t touch anything gross and put it back on her. Man those Huggies can soak it up, at the end of the day, that thing was just sagging off her bottom. Luckily, she didn’t poo that day, she must of sensed that it wasn’t an option.

6. Jodi says:

My firstborn is a boy, and when he was several months old I had the opportunity to change a diaper on a friend’s baby . . . a GIRL baby. When I pulled the diaper off of her I panicked for a split second, thinking, “Oh no! What is wrong with this baby? She’s missing something!!”
    Took me awhile to get used to changing diapers when my daughter came along. 😉

7. Shalee says:

When I was a new mother (2-3 weeks of motherhood under my belt) my husband and I decided to go to Subway for lunch. When we pulled up to it, we debated on whether to eat it there or to take it home, home winning.
    We went in,ordered, and returned to the car. When we shut the door, we heard a soft, sleepy sigh. My husband and I looked at each other with surprise and horror as we realized that we BOTH forgot that we had our daughter to take into the store.
    I’m so thankful that we didn’t decide to eat in…
    We laugh a nervous laugh about it now, glad that she was okay and safe. How could anyone forget they had a baby?

8. Chaotic Mom says:

I went to a friend’s house for a candle party, forgot my sleeping little baby boy in the car in her driveway. ONLY for the first few seconds after arriving, when someone asked me how my new baby was doing.
    OHMYGOSHTHEBABY! Yes, I ran out to get him. And yes, I was VERY sleep deprived. My friend drove me home. 😉

9. Laura says:

LOL
    too many, too many!
    the most recent has to be letting my #2 daughter take a picture of my butt and posting it on her myspace which means mommy must post it on her own blog. So now everyone can see my butt (dressed) on the www. I let this happen because so many brain cells died. that must be the only explanation!
    my theory is this:
    extra blood flow is needed in other areas than the brain druing pregnancy and lactation so there fore the brain is deprived. the brain can only take oxygen deprivation for so long before brain cells die. I have way too many babies and have gestated and breastfed more than half the time that I have been mothering so therefore i have lost a huge amount of brain cells….my father is not buying what i am trying to sell but he is a man.
    love your blog lady!

10. Kathryn, The DYM says:

Mt brain is just permenantly frozen. Dan will say, “Did you take your prenatal vitamin?” maybe 80 times a day and each time I’ll say, “I’ll do it right now,” go in the kitchen, forget why I was there and “take” something else…like chocolate instead.

11. GiBee says:

Well, it’s not really a stupid mothering moment… more like a stupid parenting moment:
    Both my husband and I are sick with head colds… he has it worse than me … MUCH worse. His ears are clogged.
    The baby monitor is on my bedside, ON HIGH… Evidently, my ears are a bit clogged, too.
    Last night, I thought I heard the baby (I was facing away from the monitor) … so I asked my husband, and this is how our conversation went… (because we were both too lazy to go check on him)
    me: Honey, was that the baby?
    him: What?
    me: (louder) was that the baby?
    him: (loudly) I can’t hear you my ears are stopped up, WHAT?
    me: WAS THAT THE BABY …
    him: I don’t know, I can’t hear anything…
    baby: WAAAAAAA
    me: Great. We just woke the baby up because we can’t hear each other.
    him: What?
    I think we’re just getting old.

12. HeatherW says:

I’ve also suffered from the mommyhood brain drain. What makes it worse, all of our children’s names start with the same letter (wasn’t that precious of us?) so I sound like a stammering mess anytime I’m calling for one of them. I think my youngest thought her name was LeighImeanLaneImeanLaura for a long time!

13. Megan says:

Okay, for something more recent, the last two times I’ve taken a shower, half way through each time I couldn’t remember if I’d used shampoo or not. So I did it again. Or maybe that was the first time. I don’t know. I was in the shower long enough to have already done that… I’m not even pregnant and my youngest is 2.5 now!

14. Sandra says:

LOL the ladies have been posting such funny stories. Thanks for a great topic today Shannon 🙂
    I think the funniest for hubby and I was when Jasmine was 2 years old. We decided to take her to the park. We each held one of her hands and we were swinging her up in the air….and then suddenly we both let go. LOL
    Thank GOD we were on the grass, she just fell to the ground and we looked at each other in sheer horror LOL

15. peach says:

Megan, I’ve totally done the shampoo thing — several times, if I’m really honest, Hee Hee! Sure makes me feel old!

16. Antique Mommy says:

I have the very same monitor as in the picture on my night stand, and once I woke myself up in the middle of the night ordering a happy meal into it.

17. Kate says:

That is soooo funny!
    I was drinking water the other day and did not notice some spilled on my ruby colored shirt. Right in the spot where you leak when nursing – catch my drift yet? I thought for a few seconds that I was leaking! And I have not nursed in almost 3.5 years!

18. Heth says:

I am cracking up reading all these responses. I can’t think of anything specific….(see, my brain is gone) other than just the other day putting my purse in the frige and trying to hang the milk up on the hook where I put my purse.

19. Star says:

LOL!! Thank you so much for visiting my site. I really appreciate your prayers and encouraging words.
    God bless you!

20. Brandie says:

Hello … first time here! But I have done so many silly things I wouldn’t know where to start.
    More recently, we left the house for the second time after babyboy was born. Got to where we were going (and planning on staying for 5 hours). No diaper bag. I complete forgot it! Needless to say, I had to go back home and grab it.

21. sarahgrace says:

OH, these all sound so familiar…Laughing reading all of these reponses. I can’t think of anything…shows you what mommy brain has done to me…
    …I’ll probably think of something at 3 a.m.

22. Laura says:

The other night, hubby and I were out at a movie and right after a quiet, speaking scene, the music got really intense and loud and out of a knee-jerk reaction, I looked for the remote control to turn it down so it wouldn’t wake the baby….who was 20 miles away, sound asleep. 🙂

23. Stacey says:

Oh, there are so many cute stories here! I think of how many times when I was a new mom that we would get in the car and drive to the store. Get the baby out of the car and realize we had never buckled him in for some reason. It was so scary and we would just pray and thank God for not letting anything happen to our little one. It was pretty scary!!

24. veronica says:

A few days ago I took my baby’s crib apart to move it into her sister’s room. It’s not a terribly difficult job, so I figured I could take it apart while the baby sat in my lap. I was unscrewing one part when the screw suddenly flew out an inch above my baby’s head. A couple inches lower and she would have been blind in one eye.
    I went absolutely still for a few seconds, then kissed her on top of her head and said, “Honey, sometimes Mama isn’t very smart.”
    She never noticed any of it.

25. Stephanie says:

After we took our dog back yesterday I swore I could smell dog flatulants. I spilled some water and then I was positive the dog was licking it up.