Miscarriage Resources

I know this is a heart-rending subject, and this will be my last post about it for a while.  But so many of you shared wonderful responses to this post (I urge you to go back and read the comments, if you haven’t already), prompting me to do some of my own research as well.  I’d like to put it all in one place here, and if you can think of any additional resources, please add them to the comments.

• Here are the lyrics for a beautiful song I’d never heard before–I urge you to download "Glory Baby" by Watermark.
  • Another lovely song is "Visitor From Heaven" by Twila Paris–you can find the lyrics here.
  • Artistic Memories by Alice produces several beautiful remembrances for parents who have lost a child.  While you’re there, browse around at all her stuff–quite moving!
  • I found this book after our miscarriage.  It’s a tear-jerker, but it’s so comforting too.
  • Here’s a journal to help in the grieving process so unique to a mother who has miscarried.
  • There are several on-line support groups, such as PAM, Silent Grief, and one hosted by i-Village.
  • Here is some beautiful jewelry to be a tangible reminder of such an intangible loss.  Also, you can find some more here.

Bascially, you confirmed in your comments what I already felt–it is so important, when ministering to a friend who has miscarried, to do whatever you can to help validate her loss.  As Mopsy said,

We received flowers and plants, cards and even had dinner brought to us for a few nights. These gestures helped our healing process and somehow validated that what we were going through was more than a bad medical day—it was the death of a dream, deep and real sorrow.

One last thought….

Word art is courtesy of Butternug Squash Designs.  Hope you all have a happy weekend!

18 thoughts on “Miscarriage Resources

1. HeatherW says:

Thanks for putting all this in one place for the rest of us. I know so many people who’ve walked this road. Sadly, I’m sure there’ll be a time in the future that I’ll be glad to know about these resources. I loved all the ones you presented, especially the jewelry. I’d be interested in other remembrance thingss, if anyone knows of any.

2. Queen Beth says:

The King bought me the birthstone of the month I miscarried to put in my birthstone ring as a reminder. I have a ring with the birthstones of all my children, including my angel baby. Sometimes it’s hard when you miscarry and there is no “body” to bury. No grave to visit. No closure like that. So having this stone helps me remember and cherish the baby that’s in Heaven waiting for me.

3. mopsy says:

I have a ring for our pregnancy losses, too. It is ironic how it worked out (I’m not sure “ironic” is the right word…).
    Our first pregnancy loss was in February of 2005. My husband and I bought an amethyst (Feb. birthstone) ring to memorialize when our little one slipped away. I got pregnant again soon after and was due in February of 2006, but lost that baby too. Our one amethyst ring ended up being for two babies. I wear it everyday.

4. momrn2 says:

The timing of these posts couldn’t have been better. We have friends whose brother and his wife lost their baby at 6 months gestation, they only had 3 months to go to delivery. This was almost 5 weeks ago. She lives in another country with a completely different medical system than in the US. She is still carrying that baby without a heartbeat. The doc’s in her country have other “emergencies” to deal with. They flew to the states last week and are paying cash for the procedure this next week.
    I just can’t imagine what that has been like, to know the baby you carried alive for 6 months you have now been carrying for 5 weeks without a heartbeat. And she still has to go through the labor process to deliver.
    Since they are in the states, they may be at church this morning. They are not believers but we have been praying this will lead them to His loving arms.
    Thanks for sharing these posts so I can be more aware and alert of the things that come out of my mouth! These have really touched my heart!!

5. Sandra says:

Those are great resources and I only wish that when I went through my miscarriages, I would have had these to help me out.
    What I did is, I have a necklace with the birthstones of all my kids, my son and daughter and my 2 angels in heaven.
    I also planted a little garden for them.
    Two books that I got and helped me a LOT were:
    I’ll Hold you in Heaven by Jack W. Hayford.
    Empty Arms: Emotional Support for Those Who Have Suffered a Miscarriage, Stillbirth, or Tubal Pregnancy by Pam Vredevelt.
    Both are wonderful books and I recommend them to anyone who has had to go through it 🙂

6. JKS says:

I appreciated the quote at the end of this entry. God’s best for me was Thyroid Cancer and I am so thankful for all He is teaching me through it. It is truly a gift, just in strange wrapping.

7. Johanna Cagan says:

Hi. I just started reading this blog a little over a month ago. Anway, I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this post.
    My first born died at a month and a day old, and her would-be third birthday is in nine days. It’s the most undescribable (pardon my inability to spell) pain, when you lose a child. But it’s comforting to know that someone else has been through it too.

8. GiBee says:

Oh! Those tiny foot prints on the charm for miscarriage… what a touching thing to do! It gives me a lot of ideas! Thanks, Shannon!

9. HolyMama! says:

Oh, Shannon, I’m so sorry! I’ve been way behind on blogs lately and I didn’t know. My prayers are with you. Thank you so much for the links you included – they will surely bless so many, and I”ll remember them in the future.

10. Theresa says:

Just catching up…I miscarried one year ago this month too. Actually, between number one and number two. Unfortunately, I didn’t find out until 12 weeks along. But, I will never forget him/her… Thanks for the post.

11. beth says:

Thank you for sharing some of your own story (in the other *remembering* post) and for this wonderful compilation.
    I have been so blessed by my visit here. I’ve been following the links here and there throughout my day today.
    I just lost a precious baby last Saturday, and wrote of it today. Baby Judah is our third child, and how I now look forward to meeting him/her one day. But how my heart aches, and how empty I do feel…
    Phyllis directed me here, and what a timely visit it’s been.
    I am so sorry for your loss~
    A dear friend wrote to me today of “how grieving seems to come in waves. I think that is because He knows we can’t handle it all at once. It is interesting that the waves of grief lessen in intensity over time, just the opposite of the waves of childbirth that intensify, though I think they are similar.” I found this observation to be so true…
    blessings to you and your family~