Surfin’ USA

No, you’re not imagining things–there’s a new look up at my blog today.  It’s part of my feeble effort at teaching myself PhotoShop.  A good blogging friend of mine is designing a fancy-shmancy new header for me; in the meantime, I thought I’d play around with my own limited skills.

Anyhoo….

Today I’m putting together a birthday party for 15 five-year-old little boys–don’t YOU wish you could come?  So since all my mental energy is being spent stuffing soccer gift bags, I’ll forward you on to some funny web sites I’ve found recently:

Have you ever heard of the book Lamentations of the Father, by Ian Frazier?  You can read the piece in its hilarious entirety here.  It’s long, but trust me, you will want to stay with it.

Oh, and I have to show you this site.  There are not words to describe how happy I am to see all these great quotes in one place.

Lastly, here’s a fun site to play around on with your kids.  It’s also a fun site to play around on after the kids go to bed and you can pretend you’re a lounge singer singing Barbara Streisand songs.  Not that I’ve done that, of course.

Have a good weekend, friends!

23 thoughts on “Surfin’ USA

1. Anne Glamore says:

The rule at our house is that the boys can’t talk about their b’day parties (to me) until the actual birthday month.
    I made up that rule in 2002 when all I heard FOR A YEAR was birthdaybirthdaybirthday starting approximately 2 hours after their 4 yo party was over.

2. Susanne says:

You are putting a party together for a bunch of 5 year old boys & you have time to fool with photoshop & come up with something nice like that? You are superwoman!

3. Shalee says:

Well, I like the look. It looks personal and fun.
    15 5 year olds? Please tell me that you have a nice wine to drink after you put the kids to bed. Our rule is that you can have as many kids as the age you are turning, up to the 10th year. After that, we gotta come up with a definite plan.
    And who started the goodie bag for party attendees? I hate that. And not just because I’m cheap, um, I mean thrifty. I don’t get it. I thought the party was for the birthday person and the attendees gifts were cake, ice cream and lots of games. But that is just me.
    And I want that book! Very clever.

4. melnel says:

I love your new header look!
    Good luck with the soccer birthday party.
    Here’s a question I just wondered reading your post: Do you think birthday parties for boys or girls are easier?

5. chilihead says:

1. I LOVE those links–especially the last two. Right up my alley.
    2. LOVE the new header. It’s great. And the font sort of looks like a gang font. You da muddah! (You know I don’t mean that in a mean way, but in a funny way.) And I really do like it. See? Now I’m backpedaling. And all I really wanted to say was that I like the new look.

6. beth says:

Love the new look–very clean and bright.
    15 5 y/o’s? What fun! I love large groups of small boys. I really wish I could come too! No really. Honest. Really really really. If only I wasn’t so far away…
    no really
    If you can still put two sentences together after they’ve all gone home, let us know how it went!

7. peach says:

Great idea! I’ll be checking out those sites . . . later. I’m actually going on a date tonight!!
    BTW, love the new header. So cute!!

8. Kate says:

As always, the blog looks super cute! But this new look resembles a fresh load of laundry just finished! πŸ™‚ Love it!