Works For Me: Grocery List

Thank you for your sweet comments yesterday about my son Joseph.  As I was sharing my post (and your birthday wishes) with him, he was disappointed to learn that I did NOT tell you that he knows how to suck the insides out of a grape without tearing the skin.  I told him I would remedy that grievous oversight right away.  So…Joseph is kind, smart, funny and loyal, but first and foremost, that boy is extremely talented with a grape.  I am beyond proud.

Next…

Wfmwheader_copy_7

Thanks so much to those of you who participated in last week’s first edition of Works-For-Me Wednesday!  I already have so many ideas from visiting your sites.   If you’d like to participate again today, remember to let me know and I’ll link to you at the end of those post.

On to today’s idea…

Because I do not enjoy grocery shopping, I will do anything to make it easier and faster.  A couple of years ago I went to my grocery store with a pen and paper and walked the "route" I always take whenever I’m there.  I wrote which aisles I come to, in order (that part is important).  Then I transferred my written list to a Word document, with blank lines below each aisle.   You can click here to see the finished product:

Download grocery.pdf

Each week I keep one of these lists on my fridge.  As I run out of something, I write it down directly on the list.  That way when I’m ready to go to the store, I have a complete list already in order, and I can sail through the store at lightning speed–no more back-tracking!  (While you are welcome to use my list, chances are that your grocery store won’t be in the same order as mine.  The real key to this shortcut is having your items written down in the order you come to them.  It will take you only 5-10 minutes to walk through your own grocery store and make one of these lists.)

I can’t tell you how much time this has saved me–and money, too, because being more organized at the outset of my trip causes me to make fewer impulse purchases.

So, any ideas you’d like to share at your blog?  I’m all ears…

OTHER WORKS-FOR-ME WEDNESDAY PARTICIPANTS:

56 thoughts on “Works For Me: Grocery List

1. Owlhaven says:

I decide on two weeks worth of dinners before going to the store and write down all needed ingredients on my list. That way I know I have two weeks worth of dinners stocked. I don’t, however, decide ahead what to cook on which day. I like flexibility.
    I’ll still run to the store once or twice in between– I always run out of odds and ends. But menu planning helps me go less frequently which saves time AND money.
    Mary, mom to many

2. Michele says:

That’s a great idea, to put things in the order that you walk the aisles. I’m always back-tracking. I used to keep a list on my palm pilot but when I got a new one I forgot to transfer the list.
    I’m participating in your meme ๐Ÿ™‚ at my Reformed Chicks Blabbing blog.

3. Michelle- This One's For the Girls says:

My WFMW is up!
    I make new menus every 2 weeks and then make my grocery list with my computer file too. (Items listed in the same order as the aisles at Wal-Mart.) I think it’s the same basic concept, but I think your way is a bit more efficient.
    Ever improving! Thanks! I love WFMW!

4. Kim from Hiraeth says:

I just thought of something I was going to put in my post about my grocery list.
    I really hate grocery shopping. I’ve made it as easy as I can. I have actual items typed into my lists so all I have to do is circle the item I need. Since I shop at two different stores, I circle in two different colors, one for Aldi and one for Dominicks. Anything not already typed into the list goes in the margins. If anyone would like a copy of my list, I’ll send it via email.

5. mary says:

That is a great idea! Love that Joseph can suck a grape with out touching the sides. I’m going to have to try that so I can amaze my 9 year old nephew. It will give him something to strive for!
    My WFMW is up! :o)

6. Gibee says:

Oh, my word Joseph! I am sooooo impressed! Maybe one day, we can meet and you can teach my son (Hunter) how to do that… He’s still a baby, but soon, he’ll be eating grapes like a big boy, so he’ll need to know your trick. We can call it the “Joseph-Grape Eating Trick” — He probably won’t be able to do it as good as you can, because you are a very big boy, and because you made the trick up … but hopefully, you can teach him! Happy Birthday, big boy!

7. Gibee says:

Okay, Shannon — it’s good to see that someone else … and from reading the comments … MANY someone elses … are as anal retentive as I am.
    Scary — but good and comforting!
    But I’m a bit distrubed that your grocery store put bread and little debbies with hardware! That’s just not right!!!

8. Lynn says:

I have to have my list in order, too! A couple weeks ago, Hubby thought he was being helpful, and made the list for me. Bless his heart. It was soooo out of order! I had to rewrite while sitting in parking lot before I went in.
    My WFMW is up!

9. Sheryl says:

I do something similar, but I’ve never taken the time to actually go through the store and map it out … I’m doing it today, though! I’m participating, too, and my idea is up.

10. chilihead2 says:

1) Are you still going to the Wal-Mart by our house? If so, I’ll just be stealing your work. So…uh, thanks for that. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    2) I have my grocery list on my pda right now and works well. Since it’s always with me, I don’t have worry about leaving it behind.
    3) I don’t have anything for wfmw! I just wanted to let you know that I’m not ditching you, I just don’t have anything!

11. momrn2 says:

Now this is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Tell Joseph I’m very impressed! Sounds like a great game to do with our youth. We’ve already had them unwrap a piece of bubble gum in their mouth and then chew and blow a bubble. This would be similar.
    My Works for me is up. Thanks for this idea as I am finding so many great “tips”!

12. Heth says:

I do the exact thing that Mary (Owlhaven) does. Two weeks worth of menus and a couple trips in between for milk and produce.
    I also buy myself a treat almost every single time. Maybe a candy bar, or a flavored water, or SOMETHING!

13. Liz says:

That’s a great idea! WalMart is building a huge new store near my house so when it’s open I will do this because I really hate to backtrack in WalMart.

14. Blaine says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I’m hoping/praying that Grace really is over her issues today! I am loving the new “Works for Me Wednesday” thing. When I have the chance to escape the vomit and subsequent laundry, I think I’ll join in.

15. Rabbit says:

Love the grape trick. Please let us know how it’s done. ๐Ÿ™‚ I do the same thing with my grocery list, Shannon, and I am foolishly relieved to see there are other grocery shoppers as anal as I am because my in-aisle-order printed grocery list is on my husband’s top ten list of “why my wife is a total loon”. My WFMW is up! Thanks Shannon!

16. Traci says:

Great idea! I do something similar but much less efficient. I make my list and then rewrite it in order just using my memory of where things are. I’ll definetly be implementing your idea. By the way, my WFMW is up now.

17. Shalee says:

As a “work outside of the home” mom, I love the idea of being out of the store faster! It’s one less thing to thing about!
    We do the pad of paper on the refrigerator, but yours is so much more organized!
    My idea is up.

18. melnel says:

What a cool idea! I should send this one to my mother who usually takes at least 90 minutes to make it through the grocery store. I wonder if she still takes that long now that all her kids have left home? ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’ve got a suggestion up on my blog too! ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Supermom says:

Whenever the flimsy box on my kids’ puzzles finally wears out, I cut the top of the lid off (the part with the picture of the puzzle), tape it to a gallon size ziploc bag with clear packing tape, and store the puzzle pieces in the bag. The bags also take up less room than the box.

20. abc momma says:

Great tip! I mentally “shop” at the store while I make my list. It may be helpful to have it all on paper so I don’t forget anything.
    My Works-for-Me is finally up.

21. Shannon in Surprise, Arizona says:

What a great idea…WFMW….thanks for the grocery list. I too would take my list for the 2 weeks of meals and sit there scratching off and then people get kinda pushy cuz you are staning there in the store all in the way and stuff. This should help. Oh and LOVE that Little Debbie’s like get’s her own “Shout Out”……LOL

22. Stacey says:

I’m pretty much the same way. Except I have my whole grocery store laid out in my head and make my list according to that. If I send Hubby, I write down the order in which he should shop along with specific names and prices of products. I’m way too picky when it comes to shopping!!
    Glad to know I’m not the only one!!

23. Amber says:

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I will have to do the same sometime. Shopping with a 12 month old means that I always want to get out of there as quickly as possible.
    I have a WFMW post up.
    BTW – I have been reading your blog for a couple weeks now. I really enjoy it. Today, it has been moved from my “More blogs” tab in my RSS feeder to my “Fave Blogs” tab. ๐Ÿ™‚

24. Brenda says:

I can never make just one trip down each aisle of the grocery store. I will definitely have to try this!
    “Does not have her act together” – please, you are waaaaay ahead of me!

25. lammyann says:

SHANNON! CAN YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOU’VE DONE!????????
    I have learned more tonight with small, simple, and EASY tips than I knew in my entire life!
    YAYAY~!
    Thank you for starting this!
    *Hugs*

26. Janice says:

That is brilliant – as is this wednesday idea. is it too late for me to join too?
    wait…i need to think of something that works for me…that could be a problem…
    well anyway, I am off to read the others…

27. kelly jeanie says:

Thanks Shannon! Neat idea about the grocery store, and I had such a good time looking through all of the tips. Oh, and I love Supermom’s idea above about the puzzle.

28. HeatherW says:

Thanks for perking up my Wednesdays! I love the grocery store idea. And I’m enjoying checking out all the other tips and finding lots of new fun blogs!

29. 5 Minutes For Mom says:

Works for me Wednesday

Im sneaking in this Works for me Wednesday just before the end of the day
    I was doing my evening blogosphere rounds, and I found Chaotic Homeโ€™s brilliant idea for this โ€œWorks for Me Wednesdayโ€ post started by Rocks In…

30. HeatherW says:

PS – I printed off your list. Looks similar to our Wal-Mart. Is that a Super Center, regular, or Neighborhood Market? I’d rather use your list and change stores, than use my store and change your list. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Wow! between preview and post, your header changed and made me do a double-take. Don’t scare me like that! Love the font. And that’s the cutest laundry basket I’ve ever seen. It can’t possibly be real.

31. Tiff says:

WOW!!! I have always thought about doing that but never did!!! That is a wonderful idea!!! Okay I am off to make my own “grocery document” but I need to go check out all the other good ideas from yesterday first!!!