Grrr…

Copy2

I am not an economist, a politician or a fuel industry CEO.  I have no idea who is and isn’t telling the truth about why gas prices are so high.  I don’t know what the most workable solution is as to how to bring them down.  But I DO know if I hear one more talking head on TV tell me that I should switch to driving a paper-clip sized hybrid, I’m going to reach through the TV and…and…and do something really bad to them.  Where, oh where, do these people think I’m supposed to put my four children?  On the luggage rack?  Maybe they should curl up in the pea-sized trunk?

And, while we’re at it, do NOT tell me just to "drive less".  I am making a concerted effort to decrease my time spent in the car these days, but there’s only so much I can do.  I live in a mid-sized US city where public transportation is not a feasible option.  No buses, no trains.  And the children have to get to the pediatrician, and school, and church, and our already-limited number of extra-curricular activities, whether my gas budget has been exceeded or not.  So there.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.  Now, would someone please just FIX THIS?

Posted in: Fun

20 thoughts on “Grrr…

1. Mom Nancy says:

Amen, Sister!
    I heard a talk show on the radio – one I normally love – talking about how the caller bought a small car with fuel economy in mind and it drives him crazy to see people in big SUVs or other “gas guzzlers” speeding along at 90 miles an hour. Okay, I’m not for speeding or anything, but isn’t it their money and if they want to spend it all on gas, how does that hurt Mr. Fuel Economy at all? I have a van and only two children, but I have driven my daughter’s softball friends back and forth to practice and will probably take my son’s friends when he gets older. Just because I drive a van doesn’t mean I’m hurting some guy in a little hybrid. Maybe I’m doing my bit by allowing other parents to NOT have to drive. I don’t like having to look at my budget and decide if I can afford to fill up the tank or just put $10 worth to make it to payday, but I also don’t like the feeling that it’s MY fault the prices are so high because I “insist” on driving a bigger car.

2. Megan says:

Yep, I’m with you too. I’m not sure how to cut our time on the road either and we homeschool! (Though sometimes that means more driving to various extras they would otherwise get in school…)
    For this month, our heating gas bill was about half of our budget, so the rest of that money will get switched to gasoline, but I’m not even sure it will help that much, really…
    Ethanol People, come on!!

3. Shannon in Surprise, Arizona says:

I totally agree with you! We saw this coming and we sold our truck and now we have only one car, sold the truck to pay less in car insurance to help make up for the difference in gas. Also, used the money from the truck to become debt free so we could afford gas prices. NOW with gas prces even higher $3.09 up the street I am now having to use grocery money. CRAZY CRAZY I tell ya it is kinda ticking me off really. We have no bus system were we are either, so no other choices to get to work. Anyways……..GRRRRGRRRRRRR

4. Sarah says:

I’m with ya, sister!! How ’bout all the “economy cars” sitting in the drive-thru at McDonald’s for 20 minutes? Ready for a break at the pump!

5. Cheri says:

Heh, well Shannon your MAIN problem is that you’ve went over the standard 1.5 children…thus you needing a bigger car…thus more gas…thus costing you $$$.
    UGH I’m with you, so so with you. And well really I don’t relish the idea of biking it to Walmart with the four kiddos behind me on their various bikes and wagons just to get milk. So that I can save gas money.
    I just want someone to stop talking and start fixing it.

6. mopsy says:

I hear you—and we are in the market for a *bigger* car now. Minivans aren’t made for families of eight! If only we could find a way to harness the kids’ energy to power the car.
    Who’s responsible? So many people the buck will never stop. Nothing is more complicated and convoluted than the oil market.

7. Laura says:

In Britain, they’re spending over $6/gallon (doing all necessary conversions). Suddenly, $3 and change doesn’t look so bad.
    I drive a van – need to because of large numbers of children – but when they’re gone, I’ll drive a small car. For sure.
    The people who annoy me are those who have only one or two adults in their family and still drive huge vehicles – and then complain about gas costs! As long as there are choices *they* can make to reduce their costs, they could try doing that before expecting someone else to make changes for them.
    SUV’s are troubling, because they put so much more pollution and poisons into the air than smaller vehicles. As Christians, who are called upon to be “good stewards” of the earth, I think we should give long and careful thought about the choices we make. If the size of your family (or work needs) doesn’t demand a large vehicle, why have one?

8. Susannes says:

It’s just as bad up here in Canada. In my area gas just went up to $1.08.9 per litre which would translate to about $4.37 a gallon. And I live in Alberta which is riding an economic tidal wave due to it’s richness in gas. What’s up with that?
    In reader’s digest last year they had a story of a guy that figured out a way to make his car run on vegetable oil (I believe it was). Anyway the government found out and shut him down. Hmmm. Makes ya think.

9. Queen Beth says:

Get this Shannon…when we lived in Oklahoma..I remember when gas was 85 cents a gallon. Lowest in the nation! I could fill up my little Toyota for under $10!
    Those were the days I tell ya…those were the days…

10. Suzi B. says:

You preach it! I have two kids, and we are actually considering getting a bigger car with a 3rd seat because I am forever driving around more kids than I have seat belts for (I know, no lecture needed)cuz I am known as the Mom who will help out and never say no…and hey, if I haveta go there anyway…why not save the trip for someone else? We started to look at these SUV’s with the 3rd seat, and right now would be the time to purchase them… but we aren’t totally convinced yet. I agree, someone should just fix it, we shouldn’t have to rob the grocery fund to buy gas. I would drive around less, but I am saving other parents from driving so much…so does that give me brownie points…or a couple of gallons of free gas?? (I only wish!)
    Love your blog!
    Hugs,
    Suzi

11. laura says:

I just passed on my commuter car to dd #1 and traded in the Beast (Ram Van) that she liked to drive. I stopped driving the Beast mainly because , mean mommy that I am, I make the kids walk the two blocks to school (found a study that proved it enhances school performance just to make the kids grumble more, LOL) and it seems when I am juggling errands and such with kids, I usually only had one or two with me….of course we just bought a new minivan last Sunday because dd #1 is fixing to fly out of the nest. We briefly considered the Toyota hybrid of their minivan but the $$$$ and the fact it didn’t even come close to the one we bought in safety. Plus that loay buyer rebate is cool.
    Oh well, the gas is outrageous and it seems not much will improve that.
    take care

12. Everyday Mommy says:

But, dear Shannon, you aren’t supposed to have four children. There’s a population explosion and your greed and excesses are ruining the ozone layer, causing global warming and depletion of the rain forests…pardon me, I must now go hug a tree. Oh, look! There’s a spotted owl!

13. ambah says:

Ugg. I also drive a large car. I have 4 children, I carpool. I need every seatbelt I can get. Our SUV can seat 8- we need those seats. There are even times when it’s not enough. Gas prices kill me. We have a second commuter car for my dh that gets 30 mpg. We walk to school, try to group errands together ect. But there is only so much you can do. I don’t know what the answer is either, but someone needs to do something. Who? I don’t know that either. Helpful aren’t I?

14. Tiff says:

My hubby had this wise idea that they saw during Katrena that we all WERE really ready to pay this much for gas so they decided to bump it back up! Ha! I told him while grocery shopping last night that everything has seemed to go up in price except for my pay!

15. Jamie says:

And for heaven’s sake, they just raised the car seat/booster seat age to seven in Kansas. 7! In other words, they are forcing families with more than two small children into a gas guzzling mini-van.

16. Bret Victor says:

Well.. the unfortunate truth is that the problem can’t really be fixed. Gas prices will never come down, long-term, because the world is running out of gas.
    We’re trying our best to develop non-gas-powered ways of getting around. But it’s very likely that the suburban lifestyle, shuttling five miles between pediatrician, school, and church, simply won’t work anymore. (As a long-term solution, there are people working to replace suburbs with small, dense, self-sufficient cities where everything is within walking or biking distance.)
    I know that sounds bleak, and change is scary. But suburbs only really got their start fifty years ago, and a hundred years ago everyone was riding horses. So, people adapt.
    In the short term, what can you do? Well, you can move to a city that gives you a less gas-demanding lifestyle. Or you can petition your current city to build public transportation. You can encourage your kids and their friends to bike as much as possible. You can switch schools or churches or pediatricians to minimize driving distance.
    I’m sorry if those options are unpalatable, but there’s no band-aid for this problem. Nobody can fix it. The world is outgrowing the way you live.
    If you are interested, you might like this movie.

17. Heth says:

Hear, hear!
    This is one of the reasons why my kids are now riding the bus to school. My van gets a whopping 11 miles to the gallon. *sigh*

18. Tess says:

we cut down to one car, I work from home, and my husband works 5 minutes away, our church is 5 minutes away, grocery store is 2 minutes – and yet we still spend $45 weekly for gas. That ticks me off in a big way!