Works For Me: Book Labels

You girls are making Works-For-Me Wednesday so much fun!  I’ve already picked up so many good tips from you.  I hope you’ll consider playing along today; let me know, and I’ll link to you below.

My idea today is a simple one, but it’s fun.  With school almost out, we’re gearing up for what will hopefully be a summer full of reading.  My boys (particularly the younger two) aren’t naturally drawn to exploring books on their own.  I had a brainstorm recently, and I bought a big bunch of address labels at the office supply store.  I made each of the boys their own book labels (as in, "This book belongs to Adam X" etc.), using fun fonts and graphics.  They were so excited (what is it with kids and stickers?).  They couldn’t wait to get their hands on all their books to label away.  In so doing, I saw some sparks in their little eyes.  Suddenly books that have been tucked away in bookshelves for months have made their way to their bedside tables, sporting their new labels.  Maybe the excitement will fade, but for now, their interest in books has gotten a big boost–I’m for anything that does that.

Some of the books couldn’t be assigned to a particular boy.  For those I made special labels that said, "This book belongs to the X family."

So, any ideas you’d like to share today?

49 thoughts on “Works For Me: Book Labels

1. HeatherW says:

Thanks for that great idea Shannon. I think my girls would love that too. How do you think of such things? I’ve been looking forward to this all week! Already implemented lots from previous two weeks.

2. Tina says:

My tip is up.
    Love the book labels idea! You’ve totally reminded me of another tip, that maybe I’ll post next week. *grins*

3. Diane says:

What a great idea! It’s good to catch these young readers….when their young! It enhances a life-time of reading pleasure.

4. lammyann says:

Got mine up.
    Great idea… we share books constantly… u reminded me I need to get labels in them so they are returned eventually to the rightful owners!

5. chilihead2 says:

What a fantastic idea. I suppose you made the thank you cards and Wild Thing’s name tag yourself too? Ah, to be as crafty as my friend. (sigh)

6. Tiff says:

Great idea!!! I will have to get some labels right away!! Yes kids love stickers don’t they! *I too got my WFMW posted.* She we let you know here in the comments we want to participate or send you an email?

7. Nettie says:

FUN idea. Then when they leave home they can take their own books to share with their kids. (Or your grandkids will get a kick out of seeing what books their dad had as a child)
    I posted my WWFW, too. I’m loving all the great ideas I’m getting through this!

8. Theresa says:

Hi Shannon, I finally decided to join the WFMW meme – mine first one is up!
    Love the label idea, I own a brother label maker and I use it for EVERYTHING! My OCD brain lives for labels…thanks for starting the new column.

9. Gabriela says:

Shannon, Silly me!!!I gave you the wrong URL. This should have the right one.
    P.S. I like your book label idea. My friend who hauls her stuff to quilting classes and scrapbooking groups puts these on all of her personal items that other people may use.

10. sprittibee says:

Hi! I’m glad to have found your blog. Look forward to reading through a few archives. 🙂 Love the name – as I find many rocks in my WASHER. And have been known to WASH AND DRY my cell phone before. I kill cell phones, actually. I’ve lost one in a pool, in a car door, and had one with a blinkie battery that decided it wanted to blink itself into a BOX. OK, that’s off topic. Anyway… enjoyed your reading tip! Stars really work for my kids… for a while.