Works For Me: Bunches of Bags

Wfmwheader_copy2_3

I LOVE bags.  I cannot have enough.  Tote bags, diaper bags, purses, duffel bags…really, it doesn’t matter what kind, I just LOVE THEM.  Some time ago I decided to put my ridiculously large bag collection to good use and develop a little system.

We keep a long row of hooks in our garage, with a label over each hook.  Of course, each child has his/her own hook, for backpack/lunchbox, etc., but I also have a hook and a bag for the following regular "outings":

• soccer
  • library
  • church
  • gym
  • swimming
  • scouts

Each of these hooks has a corresponding bag that stays ON THAT HOOK, all the time.  If I have a note I need to send with the swim teacher (but lessons are still three days away), I just slip it in the swim bag.  Have library books I need to return next time I head that direction?  I take them out to their bag.  Then the bag goes with us on its particular errand.  Basically, it keeps the neverending flow of paperwork moving OUT of my kitchen into its corresponding bag, ready to be whisked out to its next outing.  Here’s a picture of our little set up (and yes, the names have been smudged out to protect my kids’ privacy, which stinks, because they have really great REAL names, if I do say so myself):

Dscn1982

Alright, now that I go back and look at this picture, I realize this looks like a sloppy mess–but really, it "works for me".   (The ugly brown garage paneling–eh, not so much.)

If you’d like to play along with Works For Me Wednesday, leave me a comment that you’re participating on your blog.  I’ll link to you below.

**If you’re reading this, and you don’t have a blog of your own, feel free to leave your own clever idea in my comments section!**

OTHER WORKS-FOR-ME WEDNESDAY PARTICIPANTS:

59 thoughts on “Works For Me: Bunches of Bags

1. Nettie says:

That is such a great idea! I always seem to be scrambling to gather stuff just as its time to be heading out the door and always end up forgeting things. You could even tape a list of everything that should be in the bag on the wall above it for quick checking to see if everything is in it before leaving. This could bring peace to my life! (And my WWFMW is up, too!)

2. KimC says:

I’m in again – I have posted 3 ways we keep our living areas picked up, or at least *get* them picked up.

3. Kim says:

Now why didn’t I think of that when my kids were young?
    You’ve just made a lot of young moms’ lives a whole lot easier!
    My tip is posted.

4. Lolly says:

I love the bags system – thinking I’m going to have to adopt that! I can see it working in a variety of ways! My tip is up today too!

5. Gabriela says:

Hi Shannon,
    I LOVE your idea. I keep a bag on hand for church and the beach, but wow have you expanded on that! I will be “borrowing” your idea. Thanks.
    Mine’s posted!

6. Sandra says:

That is an awesome idea Shannon. Definitely going to try this one.
    Mine is up already too ๐Ÿ™‚
    You have no idea how much I look forward to Wednesdays now LOL

7. carrie says:

Mine’s up, too! Your idea is awesome! It totally sounds like something that would come out of an organizing article in Better Homes and Gardens or something. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Susanne says:

What a great idea!!!! Now I just have to go to the garage and clean it out so I can get to a wall. :\ Sigh.

9. momrn2 says:

LOVE the idea! I too am a bag lover but haven’t figured out what to do with all those bags. This is a FANTASTIC idea! Thanks!!
    Mine is up…

10. Faith says:

Also!! I have a big bag and container fetish. I love bags of all kinds and have way too many. Containers – can’t have too many!!

11. Shalee says:

Same thing at our house and it is so much easier.
    My WFMW is up too. And it’s a really good one, if I do say so myself. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Traci says:

Great idea. Sounds like I have something else to add to the hubby’s honey-do list for this weekend. He will love you for that… ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Gibee says:

Hey! I’m a bag lady too!!! LOL!
    Great idea.
    Also, I love this weekly posting. It has given me a lot of ideas!!! Thanks for thinking of it!

14. deb says:

This is fabulous.
    We always so many bags at our house it is almost comical. In fact we have decided to call them satchels – I mean — who wants to be bag peoplem, we are satchel people. We are not that orderly – but this is good!

15. Rachelle says:

Oh. My. Gosh. You are so creative! Seriously, I’ve been wracking my brain for weeks trying to think of a tip and come up blank. Then I come to this blog and think, why didn’t I think of that? Thank you for sharing each week. I am learning – slowly.

16. Katherine says:

Love your blog. Thanks for being the coordinator of everyone’s great ideas (you need a secretary)! I’m sharing my Laundry Method. Now I’d better quit being a slacker and go do it!

17. Amber says:

Great tip – I have so much ppwk lying around and then I always forget to take the saved notes and stuff when I actually need them. I cannot imagine how I will be when I have more than just one child! ๐Ÿ™‚
    My tip is up.

18. Jan says:

Thanks for the Works for Me Wednesday idea. I have a new post on my site, and hope someone will find it helpful.

19. Jamie says:

I love this one. I use a similar system, but yours is so much better thought out!
    I played today…even though it is late.

20. HolyMama! says:

fantastic idea!! and um, NO, that does not look sloppy. that looks way organized for anything in a garage. excellent system.
    i wanted to do it this week, but i’m having typepad problems. can’t post or receive comments!

21. kathryn, dym says:

I don’t have a supergreat idea but I have to chime in when anyone sings the praises of bags. I love them and I use different ones for everything.