Feed the Birds

In effort (I suppose) to accumlate as much bird poop as possible on our patio, we are doing what we can to attract birds to our backyard this spring.  Here’s what we’re doing:

First, Adam constructed this clever little bird feeder at a Cub Scout meeting.  It’s made simply of the bottom portion of a 2-liter coke bottle and string, with birdseed inside:

Dscn1832

Dscn1881

Next, following the advice of a book Stephen brought home from the library, we cut out pieces of yarn and put it out in our bushes.  According to the book, the birds will come take the yarn for their nests, so we expect to be finding pieces of it scattered around our yard for years to come!

And there, my friends, is my nature-friendly effort for the spring.  Enjoy.  Now, we resume our regularly-scheduled mass consumption of styrofoam cups, disposable diapers and batteries.

13 thoughts on “Feed the Birds

1. Nettie says:

Okay, maybe its not making a huge impact on the environment. But, what a great thing you are teaching your children about caring for all of God’s creatures!
    (Bird poop is so disgusting. My toddler tried fingerpainting with some yesterday. Eewwwww!)

2. Susanne says:

Alas, no birds dare enter our yard or the great hunter, also known as Muffin, will give them a run for their money. We have a couple of real pretty blue jays that hang out in the tall pine trees next door that we get to watch.

3. kate says:

We just watched some Swallow birds build a nest on the inside of our stoop last week. It was so fun to watch them carry dirt and twigs in their beaks. I have a feeder in the back yard, but these birds are in the front and I tried to set out some seed for them only to have my youngest dump it everywhere on the front walk way. So I am totally using this idea and will hang it from the tree in the front yard. I need to feed those babies ya know?!

4. Lyn says:

They like hair from hairbrushes too…we have three girls, so the birds around here are very happy when we clean out our hairbrushes, which is often!!!
    Also, have you seen that craft where you spread peanut butter all over a pinecone, then roll it in birdseed and hang it in your shrubs? It’s a good one for taking care of the birdees in the colder months.
    I am enjoying your blog, hoping to participate in your works-for-me Wednesdays soon!

5. Kelley says:

We fed the birds one spring and summer and boy are you right about the poop…
    We haven’t done it since but I think that we might …. I like the feeder made from the coke bottle.
    Thanks for sharing this!
    Love your blog!

6. peach says:

Love the idea from the soda bottle.
    The hair from the hairbrushes will attract birds but repel the rabbits and deer that want to come and nibble your garden plants. So, spread it around and protect your little plants!

7. chilihead says:

That’s an excellent birdfeeder idea. But I’m not going to tell my kids because they’ll want to do it. 😉 DH is, however, going to plant a butterfly garden on the side of the house. I’ll let you know how it goes.
    Had a TERRIFIC time this morning. Such fun.

8. HolyMama! says:

i love the yarn idea! we’re doing feeders, too, but I’ve wondered what to put out for nests, and how. perfect! works for me Thursday!

9. Carol says:

The yarn thing works. They use it for their nests and the cool thing is, if you look for them, you can find nests with bits of your yarn in ’em. That’s really cool.