It’s a Funny Place, This Blogosphere *UPDATED*

Today I passed that most important of blogging milestones (insert drumroll), in which I met–real live, in-the-flesh–some blogging buddies.  Sisters Megan (Half Pint House) and Michelle (This One’s For the Girls) were in my city visiting their parents, and they graciously invited my long-time friend Chilihead and me to join them for coffee.  I will confess, going into it, I felt a little like a 16-year-old girl preparing for a blind date.  Would we have anything to talk about?  What if I seemed less "clever" in person than I do in writing?  And immediately, of course, my fears were allayed, when the four of us began and chatting and laughing like old friends.  We talked about our kids and our husbands, our hometowns and our future plans.  We shared the struggle that comes with making schooling decisions for our kids, and we talked with warm affection about many of our "mutual friends" in the blogging community.  After the time passed all too quickly, we parted with the promise of meeting again when they come back to our city.

And I’m left to wonder, as I have so many times before, what it is about this wild blogosphere that seems to foster deep friendships so quickly.  Is it because we can reveal what’s really in our hearts and discover–at our very first "encounter"–that the deepest parts of our hearts share similar yearnings and insecurities?  Is it because we can push so quickly past the how-are-you‘s and find out what really makes another person tick?

I don’t fully understand it, but that doesn’t matter.  What does matter is that in the short seven months I’ve been writing a blog, I have developed some powerfully rich friendships–friendships I fully expect to maintain for the rest of my life.  So to you dear bloggin’ friends of mine near and far, north and south, east and west and in the middle, long-time and newly-found, funny and serious, joyful and quiet, encouraging and convicting, moms of many and moms of one, pregnant moms and empty nesters, (and all the rest of you I simply ran out of time to list), I say thank you for making my world a bigger and better place.

I’ll leave you with the picture of our morning meeting.  Left to right, Michelle, the famously anonymous Chilihead, Megan and me.  And the most adorable little pig-tailed head in the front belongs to my Corrie

Blog_girls001

And you girls meeting in Idaho this weekend, I’ll be with you in spirit, wishing I was there in person!

*UPDATED TO ADD:  Speaking of loving each other across miles of computer wires, my sweet friend MomRN2 is undergoing a very hard struggle with her daughter right now.  Their whole family needs our prayers.  If you have time, would you stop by to encourage her, and most of all, to pray?

31 thoughts on “It’s a Funny Place, This Blogosphere *UPDATED*

1. Rachelle says:

What great fun! I think blogosphere women are easy to connect to because you can find so many people like yourself. It’s a great place to meet friends. Cute pic of you all!

2. PowersTwinB~Becci says:

Hi!…I had a visitor in my weekly Thursday 13 post today, that mentioned I should come see what Rocks in The Dryer has to offer…fun reading! Please come snd visit my blog today, I have 13 secrets from my household to yours! I also have 35 married years of things I’ve learned…would love to have you over!

3. Robin says:

I am meeting several of my blogging buddines in Savannah (sp?), Ga this summer. (We all have a Paula Deen obsession.) And, I am soooo excited. Glad to know your encounter worked out so well!

4. Elena says:

Perhaps one of the advantages of the blogosphere is that it’s so much easier to be a good listener. You can’t interrupt a blog post, no matter how hard you try, so you end up actually hearing people out. Moreover, you never need to refrain from “talking” lest it keep others from being heard… no matter how often you post, or how long your posts ramble on, you can’t possibly keep others from having their say, too. Time and space aren’t nearly as big a deal, and there are words enough for everyone.
    I like blogging!

5. Shalee says:

Hey, you’re at a Panera’s… Ahhh, I know that place well.
    I was just talking to Everyday Mommy today about having a KC area get together. It just has to happen now!
    I think you are right about the fact that it doesn’t matter why we connect. The great thing is that we do, we matter to each other and we make life easier knowing each of us is there in thought, in spirit and (most importantly) in prayer.
    Wonderful post, Shannon. And a GREAT picture too!

6. owlhaven says:

How fun!!! hey, my 16 year old said to tell you that she found a yoyo in our dryer this week! Now there’s a big ‘rock’
    Mary, mom to many

7. Jules @ Everyday Mommy says:

Blessed to be a blessing, don’t you think? I can echo the sentiments you shared here. I think the thing we all have in common, the thing that makes our friendships come together, is the Spirit within bearing witness. Maybe this is just a small foretaste of how our heavenly relationships will be?
    Blessed to call you “Friend”.
    jules

8. Megan says:

Ditto to everything you said. I forgot to tell you that before we left this morning, my husband said, “If you walk in and see two balding men with chains around their necks, run away as fast as you can.” Ha! I am happy to report that Shannon and Chilihead are both who they claim to be and more. I also have to say that I’ve never seen spilt chocolate milk get cleaned up faster than we four mommies were able to do this morning… *wink*
    Thanks for meeting up with us!

9. Diane says:

What fun! What fun! What fun! And, indeedy–I am so-o-o-o jealous! I have said it before–I’ll say it again (and again and again)…..we should really plan a 1st annual blog retreat! Holy Mama has been doing some travel research for another trip with her sister….maybe she has some great ideas for bloggers to unite!?!?!
    So glad you were able to “do lunch!” I really should be typing in GREEN….cuz that’s how envious I am!
    πŸ™‚
    Diane

10. Rebecca says:

What fun!
    I have been thinking about why it seems so much easier to find community in the blogosphere and, with my analytically obsessive mind, I probably won’t be able to leave it alone until I get it all figured out.
    Selective revelation? Editing? Removing the whole “appearance” thing? There’s also a mysterious loyalty …

11. Carol says:

Wait. You were worried you wouldn’t have anything to talk about?
    Shannon, most blogers’ fear is that the other blogger is going to be a stalking, pedophile axe murderer. So, what’s the worse thing that can happen if you all sit there with nothing to say? Which totally didn’t happen. Which, I suppose, leaves the other possibility. :-}

12. HolyMama! says:

i wondered why all the traffic all of a sudden, thank you!!
    i so wish i was in that picture! no, i don’t. i don’t like pictures, or social stuff, but i wish i’d been there and just eavesdropped from the next table or something. looks so fun!!

13. Karen says:

You dear sweet person! How we will miss you like crazy this weekend!!! But it will happen- a Bloggirls in Somewhere Else will be planned and we will meet up there.

14. Lei says:

Blogs help us tap into our deeper selves and that is so interesting to read! And provides us with instant connections… we find someone out there we can relate to in some way!

15. peach says:

So glad you had such fun . . . at Panera, one of my faves, too.
    You are so right about the connection, Shannon. I plan to blog about it more tomorrow.
    I got all misty eyed at the links, too. Sending an e-hug {{{{HUG}}}}

16. ambah says:

I consider my online friends (MOF) some of my best friends ever. They hang out with me, console me, give me advice, give me a hard time, have helped me pack to move, watched my kids during my dad’s funeral, ect, ect, ect. They are my rock(s). Meeting them IRL is the icing on the cake.

17. mimi2six says:

I have a theory on why blogging develops friendships. Through the years as my husband and I have traveled, I have often thought when driving through a town (any size) that if I moved there, I’d have dear, dear friends. So…..that means there are lots of people out there who would be my friends if only we could meet. Blogging takes care of the meeting. You have an opportunity to meet people whose path you would never cross outside the blogging world.

18. mopsy says:

Great picture! How fun for the four of you! I’m a little jealous, although I have been fortunate enough to meet blogging friends too.
    Thanks for making me your “pregnant” friend πŸ˜‰

19. Lauren says:

Hey, and thanks for making me your northern friend and not your fat friend or your short friend or even worse! πŸ™‚
    We definitely have to catch up with each other on IM, I miss you too. Glad you had a nice time together. Can’t wait until it’s our turn.