Huh?

Stephen’s newest musical fascination is with ’80’s classic rock, and he’s been walking around singing "I love rock ‘n roll / so put another dime in the jukebox, baby…"  (I ask you, what God-fearing woman wouldn’t swell with pride to have her first-grade son singing Joan Jett and the Blackhearts?)

But five-year-old Joseph, desperate to emulate his adored big brother, doesn’t quite get the words.  At the grocery store this week I heard him singing under his breath, "I love rotten trolls…"

20 thoughts on “Huh?

1. Jeana says:

That is hilarious! Reminds me of when Dawson sang for his Sunday School teacher (the pastor’s wife)…”Nothin but the blood of Jesus” and “Superfreak.”

2. Amy from Ezekiel's Garden says:

How cute!!! That puts a big smile on my face!
    Our current “mis-sung” song is Veggie Tale’s “Gated Community” Silly Song (on Sheerluck Holmes). The ball drops down and into the *gators of unity.*

3. Susie says:

Too funny! I love to hear about misheard lyrics. My mom said my uncle used to say “A monkey cot” instead of “I’m all shook up” (Elvis).

4. Queen Beth says:

When I was a kid, we sang it like this:
    “I love rock n roll..
    flush it down the toilet and watch it go!”
    Nice to hear kids still attack that song!

5. Rebecca says:

Can I recommend Apologetix?
    “I love Apostle Paul/ he put alot of lines in the Good Book, baby”
    It’s awesome to play that stuff at home, because then when you hear the “bad” words at the grocery store, you have the “good” words in your head. 😀

6. Kether says:

So funny!
    The other day I heard that song on the radio and they had people calling in and talking about the first time they’d heard it and their memories of that song.

7. Rabbit says:

Your Stephen and my Moose need to hang out, because Moose is into 80’s metal like Motley and ACDC and Rush, courtesy Mom & Dad’s outdated CD collection. A 4 year old with his paper-plate guitar bellowing “Girls, girls, girls” is quite a sight to see.

8. Emily says:

I don’t have kids myself. Sometimes parents don’t get why I like to be around their kids so much, but when you don’t have them FT, it’s sometimes SO EASY to see the face of God in them. What a gift for me to hear this cute thing and really, really make me smile today. And somehow God knew in that store your son would say it, I would read it, and I would feel better about life. 🙂 Innocence is priceless. Let the little children come to Him…

9. teresa says:

I love rotten trolls…
    too funny!!
    My 10 year old son recently became obsessed with Tom Jones!
    He will be up in the shower singing…it’s not unusual to be loved by anyone…
    Yikes!

10. Lyn says:

My daughter (age 4) was singing “King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Glory Hallelujah” only when she got to the chorus she sang really loud “Jesus, Princess peas, Glowy, Hallelujah”
    Or, the time (age 6)she was in the backseat of the car singing “I know a song that gets on everybody’s nerds” LOLOL…she certainly was getting on mine! My older kids kept telling her it wasn’t “nerds” it was “nerves”, and she kept ignoring them…proving her point!

11. aggiejenn says:

When I was little, I went around singing “All My Exes Live In Texas” by George Strait. You can imagine my mom’s horror at her elementary age daughter singing that song. Too funny about “rotten trolls!”