Sum-Sum-Summertime

20447982 And so it begins.

Tuesday [insert dramatic swell of organ music] was the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL.  I’m truly excited to have my kids home, and out of the rat race, for three whole months.  I have the best of intentions for some structured activities, and plenty of R & R, as well.  I’m praying for a peaceful summer, with miraculously little bickering, utter consistency on my part, and cheerful cooperation from my kids.  That’s reasonable, isn’t it?

In all seriousness, last summer was a struggle for me, physically, spiritually and mentally (and here is where I pause to acknowledge that you wonderful homeschool moms are probably shaking your head to think that one short summer overwhelms me.  My hat is off to you.).  Last summer I found myself impatient, irritable and generally un-focused as a mother.  This summer, I’m determined, will NOT be a repeat.  I’m going to trim back–just a bit–my time spent blogging.  My focus belongs on my kids, and on my own sometimes-crabby heart!  Don’t worry–Works-For-Me Wednesday isn’t going anywhere.

So here’s to summer fun, pillow fights, tents in the living room, skinned knees, hair full of chlorine, bags full of library books, and the grace for this mom’s heart to handle it with patience and humor.  I’m ready

******

On a totally different note, to those of you out there who watch the show Lost–feel like dishing about the show last night?  I PROMISE, non-Losties, I won’t turn this into a Lost blog, but it was the season finale.  Big stuff.  *SPOILER AHEAD, IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT*  Here’s what I’m left wondering (among a bazillion other things, of course):

• Is Desmond dead?  And oh-my-gosh WHAT is the deal with his old fiance…remember earlier in the show when she said, "If you have enough money and determination you can find anyone?"  Has she been looking for him all this time?  And I’m wondering now if her wealthy father is somehow deeply involved with this whole thing.  Could he be a Hanso guy?
    • And LIBBY met Desmond in a flashback.  What the heck?  Maybe, just maybe, we’re going to find out about the back-story of Libby in the mental institution, after all.
    • What was that "knowing look" that passed between Jack and Kate right before the Others slipped the hoods on?  Was it "I love you"?  Or maybe "Let’s go kick some Other hiney"?
    • And was it just me, or was Charlie acting a little strange in his last scene with Claire?  Why was he being evasive about what happened in the hatch?
    • Let me just go on record here as saying that you KNOW Sayid is going to swoop in and save the day, freeing Jack, Kate and Sawyer and wiping that annoying smirk off Henry’s face.  Sayid always saves the day.  I love him.  He may be the most under-rated character on that show.

It will be a looooong summer waiting for answers, my friends.

26 thoughts on “Sum-Sum-Summertime

1. Theresa says:

Hi hear ya Mrs. Dryer 🙂 Just checked in to see if you posted your Lost ‘schpeel’. From one Lost addictor to another! *smile* I’m thinking the same…Sayid will save the day for his friends. But what was up with the whole earthquake shakin’ thing-y and the weird sky? And, who in the heck were the guys at the end you received the message that there was a system failure?? Okay, I’m more confused than I was before! Now I have to wait ALL summer, ugh!
    T-Lo Out!

2. Jeana says:

Don’t watch Lost at all, never could get into it. All I can say on that is: Sayid…is hot.
    And, a little secret of homeschooling mom: we feel that way too sometimes. Shh, don’t tell my kids.

3. Jennie C. says:

Shannon, I’m a homeschool mom of five kids, and I don’t “shake my head” over your struggle to make it through the summer. It’s a big change in lifestyle, and after the novelty wears off, it gets hard. And we homeschoolers, too, go through cycles of struggle. In fact, February and March are known as times of burnout! Just keep smiling and remember that you love them. I hope your summer with them is wonderful.

4. Sarah says:

And I wonder if Desmond’s fiance didn’t know where he was all along (“if you have enough money. . .”) Why did “the guys” wait until something had blown up to say they found him? You’re right, it will be a long summer.

5. flipflop says:

I think that’s a great plan and I pray that you have the bestest summer ever with memories that everyone will relish for years to come!

6. mom2fur says:

Wow, your kids sure have a long summer vacation! Our school year ends around June 25th and starts again right after labor day. I don’t have to ‘entertain’ mine any more, but I do remember trying to find interesting and fun activities when they were kids. Mostly…I just let them find their own things to do, LOL!

7. chilihead says:

I’m with you on the summer thing. I’m so excited and have lofty ideas, but check back with me on June 2. LOL.
    Loved the finale of Lost. Can’t wait to discuss with you this afternoon.

8. Stephanie says:

OK… I was waiting to talk about Lost! I think all the q’s you had are the same as me. I definitely think that Desmond’s girl was looking for him all this time but I can NOT figure out what in the world that annomoly thing could have to do with locating him? Unless there was something in that book or ?? No clue. I mean, if her dad was responsible for Hanso, then maybe he wouldn’t reveal to her the location (of course if that hatch was being watched then the dad would know Desmond was there) so maybe she knew more about what her dad did, but not WHERE. That “look” with Jack & Kate- I think it’s a “kick some Others’ butt” look. Not sure about Charlie, but if he made it out ok, then maybe Desmond, Locke, & Eko did too? And to amen everyone else- SAYID is the man.

9. Heth says:

I only read the first part of your post and I’m not reading the comments. You needed a *spoiler warning* for us people who are just catching up. Ack! (We downloaded and watched the second season premire from I-tunes yesterday.) Yee HA!

10. Mary says:

Lost: I thought it a little lame. However I was fighting a migraine and trying to concentrate on the show so cut me a wee bit of slack.
    As for the summer. Blog when you can and enjoy your kids. They will never be this age again. I hope you have a successsful summer.

11. Gibee says:

WHAT? Your kids are out of school already??? What’s up with that!!!
    Huh. I guess you don’t get any snow days, do you?
    I think kids in our area are in school for another 2 weeks. And I stress THINK, because my kids is only in daycare.
    Have a good summer!

12. mopsy says:

Desmond is definately dead. The failsafe button was his sacrifice. He died to save everyone else.
    I hope Mr. Eko isn’t dead. I wouldn’t mind if John were gone—what an idiot. Charlie was acting very bizarre, I agree.
    I hope Jin and Sun are okay, wherever they are. That is a mystery in iteself.
    I am not so sure Sayid is going to be able to swoop in and save the day right away. He’s one of my favorite characters too.
    Widmore and Hanso are definately connected somehow. Hubby and I think there really was no race around the world—Desmond was set-up to go to the island by Penelope’s dad. Did you catch that Libby’s husband’s name was David, and “Dave” was the guy who lived in Hurley’s head?
    Can you believe we have to wait until OCTOBER for new episodes????

13. Susanne says:

Holy cow! Your kids get out now and have 3 months off?!!!!! Mine get out at the end of June, get two months off and are right back in September. I think we all are praying the same things for our summer kids!!

14. Jessica says:

How AWESOME of a mom that you sound like! Congrats on this decision. I think seeing as how my daughter starts Kindergarten in the fall I need to do more of this too…maybe not limit the screen time so much but definitely limit it and limit my time online a bit too.
    But anywho…speaking of my time online…I’ve started a Tasty Thursday…head on over to my blog and participte…we all (who are interested) post a recipe up on our blogs on Thursdays now and I wanted to invite you to participate! This is the very first one! So please help our recipe participants list grow!!! LOL 🙂

15. Gina C says:

Where to begin…Lost? I Echo your questions and those of the others NOT THE OTHERS. I hadn’t thought of the whole set up thing about the race, what a great twist! Personally, Echo was/is my favorite character and I hope He’s not dead!
    Anyway, on to the summer. I homeschool and I’m afraid to have a REAL break for the summer. Afraid my kids will run around like wild animals and drive me crazy witout anything constructive to do. Sooo I’ve got some schooling planned. Mostly reading and finishing up this school year. They’re not happy about it, but when everyone else is heading back to school, I plan on taking a family vacation. I bet then they’ll be ecstatic!

16. katherine says:

Even though we’ve all come to depend on you in the blog world, your kids need you more (childhood is oh, so fleeting!!).
    And there I go again, preachin’ to the choir…
    Enjoy your summer!

17. peach says:

Good for you! Your kids will enjoy the time with you much more. Once they are tired of you, say . . . next week . . . get them involved in siesta every afternoon and catch up on your blogging then. That way Hubs can still have some of your time in the evening.

18. Shalee says:

I’ll be checking every day to see if my friend is blogging, but I completely understand the desire and need to focus on your children.
    Blogging will always be here; they will not.
    As to the Lost: La la la la la la (fingers in ear) I’m not listening… I haven’t watched it yet, so I don’t want to know….

19. edj says:

I think your summer plans sound perfectly reasonable! Enjoy 🙂
    …from one perfectly consistent mother to another 🙂

20. emilybari says:

People who watch “Lost” are addicts, I swear!! When I worked in the office my coworker would come in each week all excited in the a.m. and say, “Did you watch Lost last night?” And I’d have to remind her every time that I was one of the 5 people on earth who probably don’t watch that show. Cheers to a good summer for you and the kids!!

21. Rach says:

Shannon –
    I LOVE the new look! I’m putting you in bloglines so I don’t miss a post!!!!!!! I never got the “Lost” thing…it never goes anywhere!!!!!!

22. Sherry says:

I posted my comments on LOST over at Semicolon. Yes, it’s gonna be a long, lonely summer—without Sayid and Sawyer to watch.

23. Lauren says:

It’s funny, I watch Lost and wish I didn’t ’cause Rach is right… it just doesn’t move fast enough. But I still can’t stop watching it. Love Sayid, Echo, and Sawyer though.
    Happy Summer!

24. Paige in Utah says:

Lost is just getting weirder and weirder. I’ve got to go and watch season 1, which I missed most of, and see if it makes any more sense!
    I’d love some hints on how you are going to organize your kids for the summer–do you have daily jobs and reading time, or just let them roam free to eat, sleep and play when they wish?

25. Ogilvie Hall says:

School gets out early in Oklahoma! Here in Canada we go to the end of June, for the most part. Have a great summer. Nice to see your blog is still bristling with life and energy.