Memory

We’re crankin’ up the memory juice around the Dryer house this summer.  I figure my kids better make good use of their fresh, young brains before, like me, they forget what month it is.  We have a list of things I am determined the boys will memorize during these hot and hazy days.  Here it is:

• The books of the Bible (in order, of course).
  • The names of Jesus’ disciples.
  • The names of the US presidents, again, in order.  I’ve actually promised $5 to the person who accomplishes this first.  Encouraging sibling rivalry?  Yes, we pretty much use whatever tools we have around here.
  • Philippians 2:6-11.  The whole family is memorizing this together.
  • The words to REM’s "It’s The End of the World As We Know It".  Just because we like head-banging to that song in the mini-van and we’re all tired of singing "la-dee-da-dee-la…" during the fast parts.

Any interesting summertime goals in your house?

See you back here tomorrow for Works-For-Me Wednesday!

30 thoughts on “Memory

1. peach says:

Wow! I now feel like a dud for just hoping my kids can avoid 911 calls this summer! Keep us posted as to their progress. You are awesome!

2. Neighbor Jane says:

Those sound like great summertime goals Shannon. I’ve got the Books of the Bible set to song and the kids learned them in no time (of course, sometimes they have to sing it in their heads if you ask them what’s after Joshua or Nahum or Romans, etc.) If you’re interested in the songs, let me know.

3. Carol says:

Bribery can be an effective parenting tool. I’ve been known to resort to it on many occasions.
    And that REM song should be required memory work in all U.S. schools. Along with some classic rock tunes I could name. šŸ˜‰
    Great goals for summer, Shannon.

4. edj says:

We had goals like this for last summer. Everyone left town but us, so we avoided the “bored” cry by coming up with two things: a list of passages to memorize, and a reading program. Both offered prizes–money, ice-cream, extra sleepovers, etc. according to number of pages read or passages memorized. It worked quite well, and at least I always had an answer to the whines.
    It’s not “bribery” it’s “incentives.” Now don’t you feel better?

5. Michelle- This One's For the Girls says:

Hey– I’ve created chants for all of the books of the Bible and the presidents. I’ve also got a song for the 12 disciples. (If you’re interested.) Of course, I couldn’t send any of these things until I get back from my next trip!!

6. Sonia says:

My 8 year old son, who has a hard time at school (small attention span) became quite fascinated when they were studying the Presidents. I bought the book “Yo, Millard Fillmore” and 20 minutes later, I could recite the Presidents in order. True. Cute fun book that puts the Presidents in a memorize-friendly cartoon format. Just an FYI.

7. Susanne says:

Good luck to all on this endeavor! Wow, I haven’t even thought that far yet but around here I have until the end of June before they are out of school.

8. Denise W says:

We are memorizing words of Jesus -starting with the Beatitudes. We have also turned off our TV during the day. This has been the really tough part so far. My kids are already rebelling…..

9. Gibee says:

I am humbled by your goals for your family. I have none. Other than to stay cool and sweat as little as possible. Of course, Hunter is only 8 months old, but I guess I could set a few goals for him, like crawling, eating real people food, and not drowning when we take him to the pool.
    Hey, if you happen to complete your goal, I have some AC/DC songs for you to memorize. Very wholesome ones, too! Just let me know if you need them.

10. Bev says:

On different subject – I keep meaning to thank you for the two links on your blogspot. Elisabeth Elliot and also the Biblegateway one – I fell asleep last night – thinking, which blogger has that link so I can go look up a verse that is puzzling me? Thanks again!
    Summer goals – they dont leave when the kids do – exercise some vs. none, and clean out the basement of the kids stuff that stayed when they left….

11. Addie says:

Great ideas, I might use a couple of them for my kids this summer.
    And the fact that I knew the words to “End of the World as We Know It”, was what made my husband interested in going on a blind date with me. (we were in high school, our standards weren’t that high!) However, I’ve forgotten half of them, so thanks for the link and the walk down memory lane! šŸ™‚

12. Jeana says:

I am cracking up! I’m reading throught the list, going “yeah. good. Ooh, good idea–yeah, don’t that one…” and then I hit the last one. Hilarious!
    We did the books of the Bible and the Presidents with musical tapes, riding in the van, and they came pretty easily. And we’ve memorized the Lord’s Prayer and 23rd Psalm, but it’s been a few years so I think we need to revisit. Also the Apostle’s Creed. Except really it was Rich Mullins’ song “Creed” which is close enough and it’s set to music so it’s easy to remember.

13. Emily says:

Names of the Bibles: can do.
    Names of the disciples: can do.
    Names of the presidents:
    I think I’d lose out $5 to your kids. šŸ™‚

14. good, bad and ugly says:

FYI…I learned the names of the presidents to the tune of “One Little Two Little Three Little Indians” when I was in fifth grade. I still use that skill all the time to figure out history questions. The song makes it easier to remember.

15. good, bad and ugly says:

Forgot to mention…we are back in to devotions every morning. We were getting very slack in May. The kids are memorizing the first 30 answers to Catechisms for Children. They also memorize a verse a week. This week they are reviewing John 3:16. Other than that, the only educational goal we have is to complete 20 books each week for our summer reading program at the library. You can turn in your list after 20 books and get prizes. My five year old is very into it!

16. chilihead says:

Holy cow, Girl! The presidents in order? I’ve never known that myself. It would be handy information, though. How about also making them memorize every county in the state and also where it’s located? šŸ˜‰
    My goal this summer is not to get a sunburn at the pool. Ooops. Too late.

17. Kristen says:

Those are some great goals for your kids. Getting my 8 year old to do anything academic this summer will be a huge challenge considering he doesn’t even like to do it in the school year!!
    My main goal is to keep them busy and happy so I don’t go nuts!!! We’ve got camps, Bible schools, and a family reunion scheduled so far. We’ll see where the summer takes us elsewhere! šŸ™‚

18. antiquemommy says:

My goal for the summer? To catch the mole that has destroyed several thousand dollars worth of landscaping in my backyard. I’ve become like Bill Murray in Caddyshack in my quest to catch this mole!

19. Kristina says:

I think I need to set some goals. Those are great idea’s.
    Like I’ve been telling everyone we are back from our long week, and I’m finally back to blogging again. Great to see your posts again. Hope you had a great Memorial Day weekend!

20. Code Yellow Mom says:

I’ve got songs, too – for the books of the OT and NT. Want ’em?
    I had a SUnday School teacher that made us memorize things like the 10 commandments word for word, straight from Exodus 20…Some great memories, memorizing – and he was my favorite teacher ever. You are a good, good mom to help your kids have “pursuits” during the summer.

21. Stephanie says:

The fact that you like REM makes me like you even more!!! Dance to that song while you’re memorizing it and you can get some exercise in there, too!

22. blestwithsons says:

My 8 yr old, almost 6 year old and myself are learning Psalm 119. We’ve learned 28 verses so far. We’re aiming for four verses a day – so hopefully we’ll be done the first week or so in July. After that, I don’t know…