Works For Me: Babysitter Instructions

I keep a typed (in bold colors), laminated list on my desk.  The paper is entitled Babysitter Information, and on it is every phone number imaginable for any sitters who come to our house.  It includes our home number, both our cell phone numbers and Hubs’ office number.  It contains our home address (at the very top, to give to a 9-1-1 operator, *shudder*), and the phone numbers of all our neighbors and nearby friends, as well as grandparents (none of whom live in our city).   That way, when I’m leaving in a hurry (which I always am whenever I hire a sitter, for some reason), I don’t have to write it all out each time.  I feel confident knowing our sitter has access to so many numbers, should she need them (which, incidentally, she never has).

If you’d like to share an idea for Works-For-Me Wednesday, enter your link below.  Please give the link directly to your WFMW post, not to the front page of your blog.

Complete WFMW guidelines, if you need them, are here.

While you’re out and about, don’t miss the Carnival of Kid Comedy over at Life in a Shoe!

52 thoughts on “Works For Me: Babysitter Instructions

1. Shalee says:

These numbers are just as important as our cell numbers! And it is something that the kids should be familiar with or memorize, just in case the sitter has an accident too.

2. Faith says:

Great list. I am a safety freak – so this really will work for me!!!
    I have the old banner up – I will go see if I can get it changed! oops!

3. mom2fur says:

I don’t have to worry about babysitters any longer, but I like this idea for important numbers. I’m going to use it to keep track of my kids’ friends’ numbers so when I want to know where one of them is, I can check the list and call around. Although it’s a pretty safe bet the 19-year-old is at his girlfriend’s house, LOL!

4. Michelle- This One's For the Girls says:

I have a “babysitter list” posted on a lovely flourescent orange poster underneath the telephone. The title of the poster says: “Emergency, Emergency! Who do I call?” Since I have two live-in babysitters (praise God!), I felt that this was a mandatory list in our home! I like that you have your address on your list– I need to add that to mine!

5. Nettie says:

When my son was in cub scouts they had him create a safety book that included such numbers and address, as well as what to do in different situations, and rules and guidelines we wanted followed. It was very helpful as he got old enough to stay home alone. I think it helped develop him into the responsible babysitter he is for us now.

6. Kim from Hiraeth says:

This is an important task. One small suggestion (the laminated part made me think of it)–be sure to remember to update the list from time to time. Phone numbers change and sometimes neighbors move, so it’s likely that something will change before all the kids are grown and in college!
    My WFMW is up–I’ll be going back and changing the graphic ASAP.

7. Becky says:

Wow 20 posts already and it’s barely 7:30!! I can’t wait to dig in! 🙂 Thanks for hosting this Shannon!

8. peach says:

You’re awesome for hosting this, friend. I can’t take the time to go check out tips right now, but I’ll enjoy seeing them later today.

9. Maria says:

great tip — my sister also has a list made up for anybody, family included, that keeps her child, and keeps one in the diaper bag for nursarys at church etc.
    Mine is up for today!

10. Queen of Carrots says:

This looks fun! I’ve been coming across these for awhile, but this is the first time I’ve given it a try.
    And I’ll need to make me one of those lists once we get past grandparent babysitters.

11. Susan says:

I don’t have to hire a babysitter anymore since I have older children, but I think this is a great idea for them as well. If for some reason the younger ones are the one to call, they would have all the information as well. Sometimes in a panic, you don’t remember the most important information.

12. Gabriela says:

That’s a great idea. Besides, I am always looking for an excuse to use my laminator!
    I’ll change my banner first chance I get!

13. Tess says:

My mom did this too! And when I babysat, she insisted that I write down every number they gave me to keep for the next time I babysat too, and keep a notebook for each babysitting time (ala Babysitters Club) so I have a record.

14. KimC says:

I’m in again – thanks again for the great idea, so we can all share our great ideas!
    Thanks also for mentioning the Carnival. Hope to hear from you this week!

15. Amy says:

We are up and rolling. Decided to focus on the coffee maker this week. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s great ideas!!

16. Lyn says:

I’m past the babysitter stage, but I did a similar thing when mine were young, and it was posted near the phone.
    I also kept/keep a page with permission to seek medical attention for my child, we have used these when they stayed at their Grandparents’ home for the summer, went on outings with friends, etc. I keep a master copy in my documents in Word, and just print one up when I need it and sign it…easy!

17. Susanne says:

Great idea Shannon! I kept the kid’s health care numbers on the list also just in case.

18. Katherine @ Raising Five says:

Shannon, this is such a good reminder. We have gotten lax over the years as our bigger kids knew our phone numbers. But there’s nothing like an emergency to erase one’s memory, huh? I need to do this again – Woo-hoo! An excuse to laminate something!

19. Sue says:

Grammy’s have this list too! Ours have the parents names and the emergency numbers!
    An absolute necessity…

20. Jan says:

Don’t forget ER, sheriff’s dept. or police, and fire dept. numbers. Where we live, 911 may or may not work reliably.

21. Stephanie says:

I am going to do this tip right now! I am always & forever writing down our info (even tho only the grandparents have watched our kids so far!!) but still- I always want it on hand just in case! Next tip I need- how to find a good babysitter that is non-family?? Oh, and holy cow you have a lot of WFMW participants!!! I took this week off!

22. Kristina says:

I like this idea. I put my WW up. I just started today. I had heard about it and didn’t know whose idea it was. Great idea!

23. utmommy says:

That is such a wonderful idea. I seem to always write down a few numbers in a hurry. If I did this, I wouldn’t have to rewrite numbers all the time.

24. whimsy says:

I love the new link system. It’s easier for me to keep track of which one’s I still have to read. I can’t read ’em all in one day anymore!
    Yeah you!!!

25. Amy says:

I am sorry that I am reentering this again. My comments and my camera weren’t working. This is the updated blog entry and I hope you guys can swing by and see an actual visual of my solution 🙂

26. April says:

question… how do you choose your babysitter? is she an adult? tell me about the decision process for this if you can. THANKS a ton.

27. Traci says:

My parents are always right there anytime we need a sitter, but I think I will do this anyway. Just in case we have an emergency and have to grab the teenager next door to babysit in a pinch.