Death of a Camera

21312998 My digital camera is dead.  Gone.  Won’t even turn on.  And yes, I tried changing the batteries.  I’ll probably drop by a camera-repair place just to see, but nobody seems to fix anything for under $100 these days.  I cannot bring myself to pay $100 to fix a camera that is only worth $150.

I have a Nikon Coolpix 3100.  It’s done the job fine, I suppose, but it has that irritating digital-camera-tendency to have a long delay from the time I press the button until the picture clicks.  (What is that, shutter speed?  I have no idea.  I just know that when I click, I want a picture now.  Not 2.5 seconds from now, when the moment is past.  I have way too many pictures of the back of a head.)

So, tell me–and I know that many of you are accomplished photographers–do you have a digital camera that you love?  I really don’t want too many bells and whistles.  I’d prefer not to spend more than $300, and the lower the better.  And yes, it must be digital–don’t even try to sell me on the film variety.

Any pointers?

Posted in: Fun

27 thoughts on “Death of a Camera

1. Christina says:

I LOVE my digital camera… the Casio Exilim (Casio EX – S500). It does not have that very annoying delay when you snap the photo. It cost about $280… worth every dime. You can go to pricegrabber.com to research potential cameras your interested in.

2. Tess says:

can’t help you much here, no digital camera in hand yet. but I have a friend who has a Kodak Easyshare, some higher model, 6mp I think, and I’ve used it, and it is so fast. A little 18mth old girl was learning how to use a watergun at our picnic Monday and I shot a picture of her – and caught the look of joy on her face at the same time as the water shooting out. It is priceless. go for higher optical zoom though, that’s one tip i can give you.

3. kelly jeanie says:

Funny, I just replaced my Coolpix 3100. There was nothing wrong with it; in fact my church is now using it. I just wanted something with more features. I got the Canon A610 and I love it. I think Amazon has it for a little over $200, but I’m sure you can find it cheaper.

4. kelly jeanie says:

Forgot to say, the A610 takes pictures MUCH FASTER than the Coolpix 3100. I loved that little camera, but even though this new one has more heft, it’s worth it. It’s definitely not as tiny as the Coolpix, so not sure if you’re looking for something that’s as small.

5. janet says:

love your site! and my canon powershot A620 with 7.1 megapixels (whatever that means. Looking forward to what the camera repairman says to you because i have a broken one too (different brand) but i liked that one too till it stopped working.

6. Carol says:

Thanks for asking this question. My Olympus D-490 is aging gracefully, but I do hate that snap delay. And I have a hard time getting a crisp shot, even though my kids don’t seem to have any problem with that whatsoever.
    Been talking about replacing it for months now, so am interested to hear more recommendations.

7. Julie (rarely-home mom) says:

Canon, Canon, Canon. When ours finally died, we replaced it with another Canon, which I promptly lost two months later. We replaced that with an Olympus, that I don’t have many nice things to say about. So I’ll just say: Canon.

8. Theresa Locastro says:

OHHHHH Shannon…I couldn’t get her fast enough. I HAD the Nikon CoolPix too, hubby did all the research blah, blah, blah…sold it on Ebay! HERE IS THE ONE TO GET HANDS DOWN…SONY CYBERSHOT (DSC – P200)! It so rocks and we are the king and queen of gadgets around here. It’s small, maybe a 1/2 sec delay, 7.2 mega pixels. You can throw it in your purse, pocket, etc. holds gozillians of pics does video, blah, blah, blah, and you can get it for about $299! It’s Perfect! The Nikon was too big and cumbersome for wanting quick shots of the kiddos. Happy Camera Hunting!

9. Jennie C. says:

I still shoot lots of film; the quality beats any digital hands down. BUT we have TWO Canon PowerShot A95 five megapixel cameras. I bought them six months apart (last year), researched them both seperately, and liked this camera best both time. You get a lot of bang for your buck. It might be discontinued now, but I would definitely look at this line again.

10. maria says:

friends of mine had the same delay problem with their cool pix..my personal fave for small digital is the Sony cybershot line,but i am not sure if they still make them. my sister bought a vey affordable kodak easy share and she LOVES it. good luck!

11. udandi says:

Another thanks for asking this question, I’ll be watching the replies, too, since I’m on the scout for a new digicam!

12. Mary says:

I got a cheap Kodak easyshare last year and it has been like a rock!
    My daughter got another brand at the same time and it died within 3 months!
    Mine has been dropped and used by 2 year olds and it is fine.
    When I upgrade, I will get another Kodak for sure.

13. Molly Dahl says:

We love our Panasonic Lumix. It has an INCREDIBLE zoom – Look for high optical zoom rather than digital zoom. My kiddos can be playing across the yard and I can get their nose hairs if I’d like (incidently- I don’t). The site http://www.dpreview.com was very helpful in comparison shopping (more technical than I needed, but has a good summary at the end of each description and you can type in exactly what you want and they give recommendations, reviews, etc.). Happy Shopping!

14. Laura says:

I feel your pain. My original beloived Rebel dided on Christmas Eve in 2004. No one else seemed to “get” why I was so upset except my husband. I have very few good pics from that Christmas but less than a month later my darling husband came up with the $$ to replace the Rebel with a new one.
    Happy shopping

15. chilihead says:

Excellent! I love it when you do the legwork for me! Thanks! We’ve been needing a new camera for about a month and I keep putting off researching it.

16. Addie says:

I like my Sony Cybershot too! I think there’s a way to change the shutter speed, because sometimes my camera does it, and sometimes it doesn’t. I’m always fiddling with the menu, but then I get distracted with kids and never remember what I did.
    Sorry, rabbit trail. Anyway, I love the video capabilities on it. We have family that lives far away, and they need to see the kiddos. However, I don’t want to plunk out the $$ for a digital camcorder, so this does the trick it’s pretty good video.

17. Diane says:

We just replaced our old coolpix (3100)with a newer one(5700) (our daughter dropped our old one in water -ouch!). It is great!! Apparently the deal with the speed it takes pictures is the type of memory card it has. You need to get an SD or XD card not a compact flash card.

18. Suzi says:

I love Sony Cybershot. I had a 3.2 megapixel and replaced it when we found out the battery for it alone would be $90. So we just bought a new one…Sony 7.2 megapixels. Absolutely love it. We went with Sony because we were familar with it, and it has never failed us. Also, does a great video for sending in e-mail to grandparents. My boss reads up on all the latest digital cameras and Sony has a really good rating. I hope you find one with all the features you want…
    Hugs,
    Suzi

19. Megan says:

So do these digital cameras translate into nice printed pictures? That’s been my fear with making the switch to digital, as I like putting together scrapbooks out of prints, but have seen some pretty poor quality prints-from-digital pictures.
    Thoughts on that?

20. Shannon @ Rocks in my Dryer says:

Megan, I DO know that it is possible to get great prints from digial. My Nikon was my first digital and (except for the shutter delay) I loved the prints from it. I think the key is higher megapixels (which of course, is more money).
    Any more knowledgable folks have something to add?

21. Janice says:

I use a Nikon D70 – which is very pricey. It is actually my twin’s husband’s, but I use it the majority of the time. Nice perk of living a 2 blocks apart from each other. Other than that I used a film Canon SLR that I inherited from my dad. I love the Digital SLR’s though – they are so awesome!! I had been longing for one and then Rob decided to buy one when Sue was pregnant with Julia. So I just borrow his. One day I will buy one – but they are pricey!
    Sorry I don’t know anything about the other ones.

22. Darcy says:

Just stumbled across your site recently and I LOVE IT!!!!
    My digital camera just did the exact same thing about two weeks ago. Died. Changed the batteries, still wouldn’t turn on. Had to go out and buy a new camera as it was the week of end of the school year festivities and Kindergarten graduation.
    After much research, I got the Canon Powershot A620 and I LOVE it!!!!
    And I must add….be sure to price check cameras on Amazon.com. I did and it was $80 cheaper than CompUSA.

23. Traci says:

Some have already mentioned it, but I have to give props to my Canon Powershot. I just bought a new one because my other was pretty beat up, because it had been dropped a few times and it was really scratched up. I’ve had it for 2 years, and it actually still works, it just doesn’t look too good. My is the Powershot A700.

24. Faith says:

Well, I’m late to post my comment here – Canon is my camera of choice. The ones I use at the studio (and home) are not in the price range, but I’d still go with canon. My big cameras don’t have the delays that your are talking about – but oh my word, I used my daughters a few times and I just couldn’t take it! Literally!