A Story Worth Reading

Do you know who Norma McCorvey is?  She’s better known as Jane Roe, as in Roe V. Wade.  Her story is unbelievably powerful, and I’ll just spoil it if I give you a summary.  Grab a cup of coffee and send the kids outside to play; if you’ll spend a few minutes reading Norma’s story, I think you’ll be glad you did.

**Edited to add:  Respectful, dissenting viewpoints are always welcome, but please, let’s keep it civil.

16 thoughts on “A Story Worth Reading

1. Jeana says:

Isn’t God amazing? The church we attended at that time was pretty active with OR, and I knew the Mackeys. I remember when Norma bacame a believer and met her a few times. It still gives me chills thinking about it.

2. Nettie says:

Thanks for the inspiring story. I wept as I ate my breakfast. It really was the love of God and his children that the OR rescuers showed her, not their confrontation, that softened her heart. It is disgusting that abortion exists. I pray that someday it no longer does.

3. peach says:

I met Norma McCorvey not long after her conversion when I lived in Dallas. She and a former ABC reporter came into the Christian bookstore where I worked. It is amazing to read her story and see how far she’s come.

4. MommaB says:

Thank you for this post on so many levels, personal AND professional. I have been on both sides of the issue and am thankfully “Saved by Love” as well. Awesome!

5. GiBee says:

Wow! What an incredible story…
    The most amazing thing that struck me was how her life was changed dramatically simply through the friendship and testiment of faith from a little 7 year old. It just re-emphasizes and DRIVES HOME the important role we, as saved mothers, have in raising our children to love and fear God, and hide his word in their heart!
    I often find myself saying the same thing Flip said … “I’m a great big sinner, saved by a great big God.” It’s so true. He IS a great big God that can remove the scales from our eyes so that we can see truth clearly as he did with Norma.
    Our great big God “regenerated” (as Norma puts it) a heart that was hardened, and once believed abortion was right and okay … and the ironic thing I see here is that even though she experienced three pregnancies, she never once had an abortion!
    I loved how she ended her testimony: “I’m one hundred percent sold out to Jesus and one hundred percent pro-life … No exceptions. No compromise.”
    Thanks, Shannon for sharing this link. It always re-energizes my heart and spirit to read stories like this, and it reminds me that God can do ANYTHING … no matter how difficult it looks to us!

6. mom2fur says:

First off, let me say I’m not a particularly religious person. But it is clear that God was sending this woman a message, and she finally opened her ears to listen. What an amazing testimony! To me, the biggest reason we have so many abortions
    is lack of education more than lack of morals. People do things without really, really thinking about all the implications. I wonder how many babies would be alive today if the women who had received them understood exactly what was happening? And don’t even get me started on that hideous procedure called partial birth abortion. Makes me sick just to think of it!
    We not only need to educate that life in and of itself is precious–but the act that makes life in the first place is precious, too!

7. KimC says:

I read this book recently (purchased used from Amazon) and was deeply moved as well. It’s not a story for children, but is a great story of redemption. And many people are surprised to learn that “Jane Roe” never had an abortion, and was never convinced that she even wanted one.

8. Tess says:

I read an interview with her in Focus’s magazine a few years ago, and was stunned that someone could be manipulated like that.

9. theresa says:

Just futher proof that people are amazed at our humanality….is that a word?….when we share our faith. I remember a story I heard from a visiting pastor a while ago. He and his wife were living in an upstairs apartment and trying hard to share the gospel to the couple living on the bottom floor to no avail. One day the pastor fell down the stairs and said, “f-“…just then, the couple came out and said, “If you are that human to be able to cuss like that and still be such a great Christian, we want in, NOW” They were saved right then and there.
    When I was a single, pregnant 20 year old, everyone wanted me to get an abortion, but I would have nothing to do with it….I had twins a boy and a girl who turned out to be the most amazing God fearing, talented, successful people I know. Yeah, it was rough and lonely raising them alone and it was fun and fulfilling too, but I wouldn’t change a thing.