“I Write the Songs That Make the Young Thugs Fly…”

BarryOne of my good friends was eager to point me toward this story.  Evidently, city officials in Sydney, Australia, have had success dispersing gangs of thugs by playing Barry Manilow over the loud speakers.  The kids hear Barry wafting over their blaring 50 Cent, and they scatter like flies.

I have made no secret of my affinity for Barry Manilow.  You have not lived until, at the end of a long day, you’ve rolled down the windows of the mini-van and crooned along with "Mandy" while you’re en route to your suburban grocery store.  (I have also made no secret of my utter lack of coolness, so just hush).  My Hubs, who is for the most part a highly "evolved" male who is in touch with his softer side, nonetheless draws the line at Barry Manilow exposure for our boys.

Anyhoo, back to the thug story.  I’m feeling a little encouraged at the potential this holds for my rowdy household.  If Manilow works on a bunch of riot-prone hooligans, then I’m not afraid to crank him up at my own little band of occasional trouble-makers.  Hello, peace and quiet!

Remember to come back tomorrow for Works-For-Me Wednesday!  Guidelines, if you need them, can be found here.

20 thoughts on ““I Write the Songs That Make the Young Thugs Fly…”

1. meredith says:

Ha, that’s funny. My very uncool music fav is ABBA. I crank it whenever I am in the car or cleaning house. Drives my husband bananas, but my girls are still too little to know that it’s nerdy.
    WATERLOO, woo-ooh , waterloo…..

2. Susie says:

I have honestly never even attempted to listen to any song by Barry Manilow. It’s not that I don’t think I’d like it, I just have never tried. Sort of like asparagus.
    But if you recommend him, and he has a calming effect, I may have to give him a try. πŸ˜‰

3. peach says:

Call me uncool, too. I like a little Barry sometimes, too, but I’ve found my kids respond well to classical music and Broadway show tunes. We do our best crazy dancing to a little “Phantom of the Opera” or “Les Miserables” soundtrack.
    I say, if you’re “uncool”, then you’re my kind of “uncool.” I guess that makes you “cool” in my book any day!

4. mom2fur says:

I was a big Barry fan back in my 20s, although I haven’t really listened to anything from him in a while. But I can sure see how it would send any gang member running for his life, LOL!

5. Melene says:

De-lurking to say I’ve been a fan of Barry since I was 8 or 9 years old. I don’t listen to him now as much as I did when I was young, but I’ll always love him.
    Love your blog!

6. chilihead says:

LOL! I forgot about that! I was singing “Lola” to Corrie the other day while you were upstairs doing something. She probably knew more words to that song that I do!
    I will admit that that I had a crush on him when I was 8. The next year there was a girl named Mandy in my class who was horrible. Barry lost his allure after that.

7. Kelly says:

My mum teaches 7th grade hooligans, and she uses opera for her lunchtime detention urchins. After school kids get yodeling. (I don’t even ask why she has a yodeling cd)

8. Carrie K. says:

My hubby and I are both avid Manilow fans and are unashamedly passing it on to our kids. I know, I know, they have no chance of coolness whatsoever. πŸ˜‰

9. Susanne says:

LOL! I love Barry Manilow! Wish I would’ve known this tip when the kids were little. Maybe I can pipe it into their rooms at night when they’re sleeping and it would have an calming effect on them for the next day?

10. Julie says:

I’m willing to try anything if it will mean a little summer peace and quiet. Switching to iTunes now to download some Barry πŸ™‚

11. Tracie says:

Bring on the Barry Manilow! My husband is a secret Manilow fan–dont’ tell him I told you he will deny it every time, but I unashamadly love him.

12. GiBee says:

Yeah … I love Barry too. I used to stand on a cement block out in our soccer field in 6th grade and sing Coppa Cobana at the top of my lungs, acting out all the words. Fun times! I think I’ll go do that again. Now.

13. smartmama says:

Hey copacabana rocks my playlist- sadly-poor barry he did the boston pops fourth of july concert a few years back i think someone re-formed his face with some barbie like plastic –