Gardening With Testosterone

Weed_tarassaco_photo Tonight five-year-old Joseph and I were weeding a flower bed.  I smacked away at the weeds with the hoe, then he’d scoop up the remains with his hands.  After a few rounds of this, he said in a deep voice thick with macho satisfaction, "Mom, we are the plant breakers."

20 thoughts on “Gardening With Testosterone

1. Bethany says:

That is soooo cute! I love little boys. When my son crumbles up garbage (kid’s meal bags or paper of some sort) he always says in his growling “macho” voice, “I’m giving this bag a crushing!”
    It trips us out everytime!
    By the way, I’d like to take this moment for thanking you for beginning the Works for Me Wednesday. I’ve been enjoying the posts for several weeks now but only participated for the first time yesterday. It was unbeleiveable how much fun that was!!
    Have a lovely June Thursday!

2. Stephanie says:

5-year olds are the best. They have the best sayings. They feel like they can do anything and they still think Mom can do anything, too. : )

3. mom2fur says:

I love little boys and their imaginations! “The Plant Breakers”! I can see it as a comic book: “The Plant Breakers vs. the Evil Doctor Dandelion!”

4. Rebecca says:

That’s so cute – I love little boys. My own little guy, who is 4, always gets distracted from weeding with the need to manfully fling caterpillars out of the garden.

5. Lori says:

That is so funny! I love the things that kids come up with. Hey, when you are done pulling your weeds there, come on over to my yard and be “plant breakers” here, too!

6. Stephanie says:

Hey, I think dandelions are the BEST flowers EVER. You don’t have to water them, they grow, you don’t have to dead-head them, they grow…those are MY type of plants!

7. At A Hen's Pace says:

I’ve been getting my boys to weed with me too! I’ve had to motivate them with money of course–a penny a weed. Except for dandelions I pay a nickel, since it takes longer to dig them out with that special tool–which they all fight for the privilege to use. What is it with males and tools? I keep hoping I’ll find another one soon at a garage sale!