Dad

Lightening I grew up in a big house atop a big hill.  My room had two large south-facing windows, perfect for watching a storm roll in.  My dad, an avid weather-watcher, never missed an opportunity to watch one of nature’s fantastic stormy displays.

So on every single stormy night of my growing-up years, the routine was the same: a deafening crack of thunder would jolt me out of a sound sleep, in a terror–but only for a moment.  Because I knew, before I even opened my eyes, that my dad would be standing at the foot of my four-poster bed, silhouetted in the lightning flashes, peering out my windows at the raging storm.  This conditioned me from a young age not to fear storms. I never had to doubt, even in the scariest moments, the presence of my father.

They say a child gains much of her perspective of her Heavenly Father from her earthly one.  I believe this.  For most of my life it has not been a stretch for me to trust a Father who stands guard over me, who is present even when the storms rage.

Thank you, Dad, for modeling such tender care for me.  Thank you for teaching me how to trust.  And thank you, thank you, for watching the storms.  Happy Father’s Day.

(And while I’m at it, happy Father’s Day to all the other great dads in my life–my uncle Jim and uncle Mike, my brother R, and of course, my sweet Hubs, the sweet daddy to my very blessed children.  You are all so special!)

19 thoughts on “Dad

1. Mich says:

You always know exactly what to say. I know your dad is so proud of you. Thank you for putting into words what others could not (well, what I could not). On another note, thank you for a great birthday card…it made my day!

2. hogphan says:

To my sweet girl. Tonight (6/17) I read the entry on your blog entitled “Dad”. There was a storm rolling into our town and I found myself watching it from the front porch thinking about your blog and your childhood and the treasured times we have had together. No dad is more lucky than I. The apostle Paul said something like “I am among all men most blessed”. So am I. Fatherhood for me was/is a gift. You and your brother and your families are joys beyond description to me, and also your mom! Even those quiet times in your bedroom when the storms rolled in were very special times. I’m glad you thought I was so strong. I’m even more glad about your relationship with your heavenly father and you and “hubs” leading your children to Him. I am continually amazed at God’s goodness. I love you, Dad.

3. Mama Darlin says:

I loved your post. So eloquent and touching only to be caught off gaurd by your father’s comment with a touch of tears in my eyes. This the kind of relationship I hope and pray for that my daughters will be able to have with their dad!

4. Neighbor Jane says:

Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us. Thanks, too, for your dad’s post. What a sweet gift for the rest of us to see what the two of you have.

5. Stacey says:

What a great example of your Heavenly Father!! It’s nice to know that there are still wonderful Dad’s in the world today!! I wrote about mine today, too : )

6. Kari - MommaB says:

Wow! A completely beautiful post that was shared. Then when I came to leave you a comment, the man of the hour (your precious dad) confirmed your every word by demonstrating for your readers just how sweet and loving he is. May you all celebrate this day in love and thank you for allowing others to have a glimpse of such joy. Blessings.

7. Rebecca says:

That brought tears to my eyes. What a blessing to have felt so protected! And then to see your dad post in the comments… sniff. Happy father’s day!

8. Laurie says:

Wonderful post about your Dad.
    There is nothing so exciting as a grand thunderstorm. The energy and wildness of one touches something deep within the soul. Perhaps it is because it is such a picture of the power of our God.

9. Carol says:

The heavenly Father/earthly father thing can also be seen this way: As women, we tend to superimpose the characteristics of our earthly fathers onto our heavenly Father. This can be very deceiving, unfortunately. That’s why a godly father is so very important to a child, especially us girls.

10. Suzi says:

WOW! What a wonderful tribute to your Dad and then…the comment I read from your Dad. WOW! I love how you used thunderstorms and feeling safe. What an awesome way to express how you feel. I just wanted to say you are very blessed and very loved by Him above and your Dad. Twice the blessing! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Suzi

11. Barb Szyszkiewicz, sfo says:

That was sweet, and really hit home for me. My husband was a meteorology student in college, though he pursues a different profession now. But he just LOVES weather. A storm around here is like an occasion for a party. He and the kids get so excited to watch lightning, and anxiously look for hail so they can collect and measure it. And they’re all mystified by other children who are hiding under the beds at the mere hint of thunder. It’s one of the things I love most about my husband–and I hadn’t thought of what you put into words here; about the Heavenly Father staying close by…but yes, I can see that in our home. What a blessing.

12. Faith says:

OhMYWORD! What a beautiful tribute to your dad and then he left a comment that was even sweeter! I don’t even know what to say! WOW!!!

13. mimi2six says:

Shannon and her dad have always had the best of father-daughter relationships…..from the time she was a little baby til now when she’s a mom herself. I wish all little girls could have a father like my husband, and I’m thankful beyond words that all three of my granddaughters have incredibly wonderful fathers…..just like Shannon’s.