The Boy Of My Dreams

One of my very first blog posts was about my oldest son, Adam:

There are two grown men that live in my house. One is my husband. The other is the 40-year-old man that is trapped inside the body of my 8-year-old son. This is the boy who stays abreast of speed limits in our city and alerts me when I’m exceeding them. He’s the boy who can use words like “vortex” and “nocturnal” with the same ease that other little boys say “boogers”. He’s the boy that will cut short a dessert because he says he’s “had too much sugar”. And when he expressed some anxiety over a bad dream the other night, he gladly noted how safe our home is since we’re “secured by ADT.”

Oh, I love that boy.

Yes, my boy–that funny, eager, thoughtful, clever, creative boy who turned me into a mother nine years ago this week.  And I’m proud to announce that tomorrow you get a chance to hear how great he is.  For a birthday treat, he wants to write a post here on my blog.  He’s been working on post ideas for weeks!  Tomorrow is the big day–can I count on you to come back tomorrow, read, and flood him with wonderful comments?

Happy birthday, sweet boy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On a different note, I somehow got on the catalog mailing list for Tender Heart Treasures, and I’m so glad I did.  It’s full of vintage-style merchandise that really is heartwarming.  You can order your own free catalog here.  (And no, this isn’t a paid advertisement–I just think you’d enjoy it!)

25 thoughts on “The Boy Of My Dreams

1. ~p~ says:

i cannot wait to read it 🙂
    (my daughter turned 13 yesterday but the celebrations of her being born are going to be continuning through the beginning of july. i always thought it was about me.
    sha!)

2. Morning Glory says:

Just wait….not only will you get the Tender Heart catalog, but they’ll give your name to about 2 or 3 others. I really enjoy the catalog and it’s friends, “the others”, too.

3. Stacey says:

I will be back tomorrow for sure!! He sounds like someone at my house : ) I think it’s those oldest children in our lives.

4. Jan says:

Kids just blow us away, right? He sounds like a great kid.
    I’ve been ordering from Tender Heart Treasures for years, love their products which are always good quality and look like the pictures, and they have great service too.

5. Katrina says:

Can’t wait to hear what he has to say! My 7-yr-old Camden is a lot like your Adam. He’s always been a “miniature grown-up.” 🙂

6. Faith says:

He sounds a lot like my oldest son at that age. He is now an attorney,was named assistant solicitor for two cities etc. He always kept me in line and still does when I let him!!

7. Martha says:

lovely- that’s my 6 yr old Jack. Last week he prayed at church for his autistic friend, “dear God, please heal N’s throat, because I really want to talk to him.” I’m always afraid he’s going to grow out of his old soul–it’s good to see it’s still possible for a 9 year old to carry on…I can’t wait. congrats, and I really enjoy your stuff.