Works For Me: Fried Biscuits

Wfmwheader_copy2_7

**PLEASE NOTE**  I made a big goof this morning with my Mr. Linky.  If you entered your link before 7:45 am Central time, you’ll need to re-enter it, below.  I’m SO sorry about this mix-up.!  Thanks, as always, for playing along.

I don’t share many recipes at my blog, mainly because I don’t particularly enjoy cooking.  So if you see one, be assured that it is quite easy, and yummy, and that it, in fact, works for me!

A Saturday morning favorite around the dryer house is fried biscuits.  We start with Pillsbury layered biscuits:

Biscuit1

I separate them, and cut them in half:

Biscuit2

Then I roll each half circle into a ball:

Biscuit4

Next step is to drop them in a skillet with about a half-inch of pre-heated oil:

Biscuit5

As they brown, continually (or is continuously?) flip them over in the oil, until each ball is nice and golden brown:

Biscuit6

When they finish cooking, transfer each little ball to a waiting bowl of sugar (for variations, try powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar).  Coat it well:

Biscuit7

And, voila!  Fried biscuits, and happy kids:

Biscuit8

I realize this little recipe is way too simple to require all these pictures (I don’t mean to insult your intelligence!), but what can I say–I was feeling generous!

Post your link to your WFMW post below!  Guidlines can be found here.  Remember to link not the front page of your blog, but to your actual WFMW post.  Thanks!

75 thoughts on “Works For Me: Fried Biscuits

1. Jennifer says:

This was the longest fastest WFMW I’ve ever seen. I posted before 7am EST, and was still 72–Yikes! It’ll be fun going through all of them.

2. Amy says:

I am up, but the list hasn’t been cleare? I know that no one beat my before-seven-AM- post??
    I will just add my post as entry #76….:)
    Shannon- your recipe looks simple and delicious. I had heard of people doing this, but hadn’t tried it myself. Would definitely save us from making a donut run!! Thanks!

3. Emily says:

Fun! That’s a great idea. Some of us like having all the pictures…hee hee. We’re not all Martha’s, as much as we want to be. πŸ™‚
    Thanks for the prayers. I really appreciate it.

4. Lolly says:

LOL – I’m in this list twice now – LOL TOday’s post is #86 – I love the fried biscuits thing – we did the same thing as kids – only we just cut the centers out like a doughnut- I’m thinking I like your idea of cutting and rolling them – gonna try them tomorrow! Thanks for Sharing

5. Carol says:

Oh my. Did you make a new Linky Code for this post, Shannon? You’ll need a new one every time. Either that, or there are a lot of folks up earlier than me on Wednesdays.
    Them fried biscuits remind me of beignets! Next time I’m in New Orleans, you’ll find me at Cafe Du Monde!

6. Katherine says:

Those look so good. I’m thinking my 12 yr old is going to want to do this all on her own. Thanks for another “real world” tip. We need all the timesavers we can get.

7. chilihead says:

Personally, I love to have the pictures as part of my tutorial. I can’t wait to try this. I know my kids are going to love it! They are like little donut holes!

8. Rachel says:

I LOVE the pictures to go along with the recipe! Thanks for this – they look like little donuts. My kids will love this (who am I kidding – I’ll love this!).

9. Rachel says:

Why does it say delete link next to my name? My link goes directly to my post, just like you wanted. Did I do something wrong?

10. Sheri says:

I do this on rare occasions for my kiddos. Actually I dont cut them, I run my finger through the middle, making a big hole…and voila! Donuts!

11. Lindsey says:

MMMM those fried biscuits look alot like the yummy funnel cakes I love so good. I’ll have to give them a try.
    I had my post ready at 6 am but well, Mr Linky was linkin last week! πŸ™‚

12. Sarah says:

Mmmmm…those look yummy. I happen to have a can-o-biscuits in the fridge, so I may be trying them out soon. (Might wait for the hubby to get home from work first. Hot-oil + 13-mo-old-pulling-on-my-ankles = scary). This is my first week joining you for WFMW. I’m glad to be here. Thanks for the tips.

13. Heth says:

Mmmm. Low fat, low calories. It’s a health food extravaganza! Those little babies look delish.
    I posted my first ever WFMW. Woo hoo!

14. Bethany says:

Wow! You guys sure write and publish posts awfully early!!
    I love this recipe. We do a variation of it and call it homeade doughnuts. We punch a hole in the biscut dough with a bottle and fry them like that….the punchouts are the doughnut holes!
    (Oy! I’m incredibly hungry for those now!!)

15. peach says:

I love the beignets. I love the zeppolis. I love me anything fried and dipped in sugar! Sounds good to me. We’ll be buying some biscuits the next time we head to the grocery store, for sure! My WFMW is up.

16. HeatherW says:

I’m going to have to try your recipe. It looks really, really good! I usually do the healthy stuff so I can’t wait to see the look on my kids’ faces. They’ll be certain I’ve been inhabited by an alien! Looking forward to reading WFMW posts all day!

17. boomama says:

I don’t think I have to tell you that you are TOTALLY speaking my Southern fried language with this one. πŸ™‚ Awesome idea.

18. Traci says:

Those sound so yummy, especially considering it’s day 3 of my new diet!! My son would love them! I’ll definetly have to make them…for him of course. *wink*

19. Rabbit says:

Oh. My. Goodness. Note to self: do NOT let the kids see those fried biscuit pictures or guess what Rabbit will be doing every morning for the rest of her life?! I have NO idea why I’m on the link list twice. Apparently Mr Linky thinks I deserve two places. Shannon, what did I do wrong?

20. Amy says:

I am back up again- I was so proud to be among the first- now I am somewhere in the middle. Visit me please πŸ˜‰

21. stephanie says:

Those fried biscuits look so good … to bad I’ve already had breakfast this morning, and that I don’t have any biscuits in the house! πŸ™‚ (Or maybe that’s a good thing!)

22. Rebecca Mielke says:

I had been thinking about participating in WFMW, and then, lo-and-behold, there was the phrase “works for me” in my post.
    So now I’m just here in the comments waving “hi!”, since this is my first time playing. πŸ™‚
    Thanks, Shannon!

23. Pieces says:

Those look evil! I don’t think I could ever, ever make them. My kids are so picky and strange they probably wouldn’t eat them and I would be forced to eat them ALL!

24. Rebecca says:

Those look so great! Normally, we do Pillsbury Cinnamon Buns (I am so lame!) for breakfast on Sunday, but this weekend I’m going to stretch myself and try THAT. Great suggestion!

25. Stacey says:

We used to make these when I was a kid and I totally forgot about them. I should give this a try with my kids, they would love it!! Thanks for the great tip!!

26. KimC says:

We do this too, but cut them in quarters and call them donut holes. Yummy – thanks for the reminder. It’s been too long!

27. Tess says:

sleep works for me, but as that’s not a new tip, I’ll refrain from adding my link above πŸ˜‰ too tired to think about new tips.

28. Lisa says:

Oh, those look so tasty!! I think you are inspiring me to actually take part in WFMW, perhaps once I dig myself out of the hole that used to be my house ;).

29. Addie says:

Ok, so Ben’s kids will enjoy it, but it was me that made that last comment. That’s what happens when he uses my computer to blog sometimes. πŸ™‚

30. Christy in TN says:

Oh, please always includes lots of pictures when giving cooking instructions. I need all the help I can get! Love your idea. Will try it on the hubby and kids as a fun surprise! I know they’ll all love it.

31. Erica says:

Those biscuits with the cinnamon and sugar look GOOD. I did my first WFMW today. It isn’t too exciting though, but it’s something.

32. Lil Duck Duck says:

WFMW – babyproof cabinets!

I hate baby latches. Either they dont work, as in the baby can still open them , or they are so hard to get open that I contemplate unscrewing the handles to get into the cabinet or give up the contents as lost.
    Anyway, what works for me on my…

33. Jenny says:

YUM!!! We get these in a little town south of us, and they are just friend and served with apple butter!!! I’m going to try this one!

34. Janice says:

Some many tips so little time!
    these look yummy – being from Canada I have never made anything even close to fried biscuits.

35. Gego says:

I can attest to the quality of these scrumpdelicious morsels. I sampled them very recently. Thanks Mrs. Dryer for the treats and to Mr. Dryer for the scrambled eggs and cheese and ham. What a way to start a day!

36. Sherry says:

I had never tried the biscuits, but shopping day is tomorrow–I just might stock up!
    I hope someone will benefit from my post about my adventures with shoes for 15 of us….

37. Shannon in Arizona says:

I am going to make these for the kids, but just realized I didn’t buy flakey???? Still work?

38. tnmama says:

I just wanted to let you know that I saw this recipe just last week and decided to try it out on my three kids – one of which is extremely finicky!
    We had them this morning! Yum!! We experimented with different toppings. Their favorite was to roll them in a glaze (made from powdered sugar and a bit of milk) and then roll them in a sugar/cinnamon mix.
    Thanks for a new easy and inexpensive breakfast idea for my family!! Love them!