Kansas City: Who Was There and What Happened

Well, I’m home.  Jules is not, in fact, a crazy serial killerShalee is not, in fact, a middle-aged bald man in a wife-beater t-shirt.  The entire group was a bunch of amazing, funny, courageous women who have left me challenged, encouraged, and laughing so hard that my cheeks have only just now begun to stop hurting.

First, here’s who all was there, in no particular order…

Chilihead at Don’t Try This at Home

Mary at Aunt Murry

Kristi at Basketballs and Babydolls

Addie at Life With Little Women

Beckah at Happy Mom

Lammyann at Lammyann Life

Michelle at Love to Chat

KPJara at Can You Hear Me Now?

(Did I leave anyone out?  If I did, PLEASE e-mail your URL and remind me.  I’m operating on very little sleep!)

Now for the details.

Chilihead and I left our fair city at the crack of dawn Saturday morning.  It was an easy drive to Kansas City, and we arrived a few minutes early for lunch.  As each blogger arrived at the restaurant, it was like greeting old friends, not meeting strangers.  Even those of us who hadn’t yet read each other’s blogs found ourselves drawn together by this strange and funny blog world.  Here are some pictures.

Here is Sarah, Shalee, Antique Mommy and Michelle:

Lunch1

Here is Kristi, Addie and Beckah:

Lunch_2

Here’s an awful picture of me looking strangely excited about my barbecue (mostly I just wanted you to see the nametags we improvised–napkins tucked into our shirts!):

Lunch3

Here is Jamie, Jules, and the always be-spectacled Chilihead:

Lunch4

Two lovely sisters, Michelle and KPJara:

Lunch5

Here is Shalee sniffing the Antique Mommy’s oh-so-famous Cole Haans.  This makes more sense if you’ve read this post by Antique Mommy, and if you’ve witnessed first-hand the spunky Shalee’s tendency to do or say just about anything:

Lunch6

Shalee and Lammyann:

Lunch7

After lunch, about half the crew headed to Jules’ house for lots and lots and lots of talking.  And laughing.  And crying.  And praying.  And more laughing.   Then Shalee and her husband graciously hosted Chilihead and me in their home for dinner:

Shalee1

Because any gathering in which I’m involved will always include dessert, we adjourned to Cold Stone Creamery.  We laughed so hard that it took great effort not to squirt ice cream out of our noses.  Very strange looks were shot our way by people at surrounding tables!

Shalee2

I’m sure it’s no surprise that after the dessert, we headed back to Jules for a lot more talking, a lot more laughing, and a little bit of wine.  Jules’ home is just like Jules–full of life!  It’s the type of home where every corner invites exploring, examining her husband’s artistic creations and her impressive antique collection.

After a bit of sleep, we shuffled around Jules’ house some more, talking with her delightful husband and her sweet son (who, by the way, calls me "The Shannon".  I have a "the"!).  We all headed to breakfast and said our goodbyes, and Chilihead and I hit the road.  We used the opportunity to stop at the interesting little flea markets/antique stores  along the way, like this one…

Drivehome1

…and this one:

Drivehome2

Be sure and ask Chilihead about the gorgeous table she bought for thirty dollars.  THIRTY DOLLARS!

This weekend surpassed my best expectations, which were set very high.  I continue to marvel at the type of women I meet at every turn in the blog world–women of such substance and intelligence, who are making courageous choices every day for their family, who manage it all with such humor and grace.  Go check out their blogs in the list above–you’re in for a treat.  A special thanks, again, to Shalee and Jules for planning and hostessing this bunch.  You two are great!

Counting down the days to the next big blogging get-together in Dallas, in October…

31 thoughts on “Kansas City: Who Was There and What Happened

1. Theresa says:

Sounds like ya’ll had a blast! And great pics, thanks for sharing for those of us who couldn’t come. And, I’ll see you in Dallas!

2. chilihead says:

Oh my…still laughing at some of the things we heard and said. It was great fun, wasn’t it?
    You did a fabulous job with the post and I’m impressed! I find that I’m still not able to quite give “voice” to my swirling thoughts.
    If you don’t mind, will you share your pictures with me via e-mail? I didn’t take nearly as many as I had hoped. With you as my back-up I find that I tend to slack. 😉

3. Antique Mommy says:

Great summary! I had a great time and can’t wait to see you all again in October in my neck of the woods. By the way, since my name is on the list twice, does that mean you like me twice as much?

4. Janna says:

Great summary – especially since I didn’t make it to the after lunch festivities. It was great meeting you…and thanks for posting all of the links so I can come back and visit y’all! 🙂

5. Kim says:

Thanks for doing the links. It makes life so much easier in my quest to read.
    You are the doll I knew you would be…no wonder you’re so popular!

6. Stacey says:

Sounds like you guys had an awesome time!! I’m so glad you all got to get together and talk, laugh and just have a blast!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

7. mom2fur says:

Wow, it sure looks like you had a great time. And you’re all so young and pretty. Even you, Chilihead…why are you hiding behind that mask, LOL!?

8. Heather says:

Coming to florida anytime soon? Its beautiful here…. and Ill throw in the beach just for good measure 😉
    Looks like you guys had a great time, and I am officially jealous….
    Heather

9. Karen says:

SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love love love the pictures! I’m jealous- you met some of my favorite bloggers . . . and they met YOU!

10. Michelle says:

Thanks for sharing I am right there with you on the fact I haven’t laugh so hard in months and maybe even years when it wasn’t children related. I had a great time and sharing your pics made it possible for me to share with my son. Not to mention it allowed me to relive it a little. I told my husband it is like Christmas (saturday night) I had a great time but the presents are open and I feel like I am crashing down then I thanked God for memories. it was great meetin gyou we will have to get to gether sometime since you all live so close.

11. Emily says:

Looks like a great weekend. I thank God you have such great memories from it to hold onto. Fellowship. What a remarkable gift. 🙂

12. Addie says:

Loved meeting you! Lunch was so amazing and fun, but I’m sorry I missed out on the rest of the day! And I wish I’d had more time to sit and talk with you. Sounds like it was a fabulous weekend for you guys!

13. liesl says:

Oh What Fun! I’m so very new at this blog stuff. I’ve been enjoying all the wonderful writing and storytelling and grace filled lives in blogs by Christian women for the last week – and I very much want to join the fun! You all are a hoot!

14. Carol says:

Y’all just had too much fun, that’s all. I am so glad you did! Next time, I’ll drive up to OK, and you can take me the rest of the way. Oh yeah – next time, you’re comin’ to TX. Forgot about that one.

15. Mugwumpmom says:

I started blogging in April for the first time and have been lurking on your blog since then…and enjoyed every minute. Just had to say..that blogger get together was a great idea! You looked like you all had so much fun. What a hoot! Thanks for the pics.

16. Janice says:

Oh – so fun!!!! I so wish I could have gone!! Any Pacific Northwest blogging mommies out there?
    Love the pics!! so fun to see everyone!!

17. Karla says:

The Shannon, that sounds like a GREAT weekend!! As I scrolled quickly through the pictures before reading, I saw the always be-spectaculed Chilihead & said to myself, “Whup. There’s Chilihead.” (And I’ve only seen her picture one other time.) I think it’s hilarious that her whole family wears those glasses in her profile picture. Anyway, I digress!
    Thanks for posting about your weekend. It sounds absolutely spectacular!!!
    Maybe one day, I’ll be good enough to have a “the” with my name. heehee 😉

18. barbara says:

Wow. This sounds so cool! Can the one after Dallas be somewhere I can drive to, too (from Virginia)?
    Great write-up, Shannon. I don’t know Shalee very well, but the picture of her INSIDE her washing machine sticks with me – though it was THAT OTHER ONE that placed in the laundry room contest. On my way to find out why she’s getting so up close and personal with the Cole Haans!