Works For Me: Dosage Calculator

Wfmwheader_copy3

It never fails that the children get sick when the doctor and pharmacy are closed, and the labels of the medicine are warped from being jumbled in a cough-syrup-leaking medicine container.  So I keep handy these on-line reference guides for how much medicine to give to your child:

Tylenol

Ibuprofen

Benadryl

Now, of course, check with your doctor first, yada, yada, yada, but I have to say this in case you overdose your child and say it’s my fault and sue me for everything I own but if you do so help me I’m sending Toilet Boy to your house for a kiss.

Want to play along with Works-For-Me Wednesday?  Please leave your link below.  Please remember to link to your WFMW post, NOT to the front page of your blog.  WFMW guidelines can be found here.

37 thoughts on “Works For Me: Dosage Calculator

1. Pam says:

Well, I played but I can’t link to my WFMW post. I can’t find the URL to do that. I have tried the only way I know how which is to put in a search on my blog for a title or keyword and it usually gives me several choices. So. It is up now on my main page and I won’t be changing it until tomorrow or Friday. Unless of course you or one of your readers can tell me how to find the URL for a specific post other then the way I mentioned already *inquires hopefully*.
    (man I sound needy this morning!!)
    Pam

2. Jennifer says:

Pam–go to Past Ramblings and click on the title of the post that you want to link to. Voila!
    Shannon–this is so wonderful. I often don’t have the infant, but do have some pediatric, and am trying to dose the 2yo. Etc. Also, FYI, my sil is an RN and she said that you can sometimes give a bit more Ibuprofin, but to be much more careful with dosing on Tylenol (because it can damage the liver).

3. Katherine says:

Thanks – I used to have this somewhere in an old house – since then we’ve had a few more kids – I suppose they deserve the right dosing, huh? I’m printing this out and taping to the cupboard.

4. Shalee says:

I needed this info 10 years ago! Arrg. One good thing out of not having these sites? Now the call a nurse and I can have regular gab sessions.
    Oh well. Thanks for putting it out there for others!
    Oh, and I did what you double dawg dared me to do…

5. Pam says:

Jennifer…YOU ROCK!
    What a simple way. Of course, the other way works when I don’t have a clue when I posted something.
    Thank you.
    Pam

6. Sarah says:

This is a great resource. Once, while we were travelling, I spent over an hour on the phone trying to get a straight answer from my Dr.’s office about how much Tylenol I should give to my 7-month old daughter who was screaming from teething pain. I now keep a printed dosing chart posted on the inside of the door where I keep medicines. These links will come in handy if I’m ever needing the info when I’m not at home!

7. kari says:

This couldnt have come at a better time for me! I have 2 infants and Im not always sure how much meds to give them! Thank you!

8. Michelle-This One's For the Girls says:

Love it! Oh- and for all of you with children younger than 2 years of age… If you don’t have the infant drops on hand and you’re planning on giving the “liquid for older children,” plug the correct weight into the computer, but lie about the age. (It’s OK to lie to a chart.) πŸ™‚
    When I said that Jane was 18 months old, it wouldn’t tell me how much Tylenol to give her. But when I said that she weighed 24 pounds and was 2 years old, it gave me the correct doseage.
    I love outsmarting the computer. πŸ™‚

9. Jami Leigh says:

Thanks so much for the helpful links! That definately works for me.
    I played along for the first time this week, though I’m not sure how well my post will fly. πŸ™‚ Have a happy Wednesday!

10. Janice says:

oh – I won’t dare mess with toilet boy! I just read that post and it was so funny. I too would have lost all reason and fallen into hysterics and perhaps also used the stupid word.

11. aleah says:

Thanks! I lost the infant sheet my Dr. gave me years ago and now I have the list right at my finger tips again! Very helpful ~ THANK YOU!

12. Lola says:

Shannon,
    Thanks for hosting WFMW. You are an enormous font of knowledge, blogging and otherwise. I have posted my first WFMW, and as I type, I am printing out the dosage charts that you wrote about.

13. Christine says:

What a great tip!! Thanks! (p.s. I’m Chilihead’s non-blogging friend. Can you believe she even hangs out with me?)