Praying For Our Kids

There is so much I desire for my children–how could I ever mention it all in prayer?  So I took the following Scriptures and changed only the pronouns, turning Paul’s words to the early churches into prayers for my own children.  I’d say this pretty well sums it up.

I do not cease to give thanks for __________, remembering [him/her] in my prayers, that [You], the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory may give _________ a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of [You], having the eyes of ________’s heart enlightened, that [he/she] may know what is the hope to which [You] have called ________, what are the riches of [Your] glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of [Your] power toward us who believe.

–adapted directly from Ephesians 1:15b-19 (ESV)

For this reason I bow my knees before [You] from whom every family in the heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of [Your] glory [You] may grant ________ to be strengthened with power through [Your] Spirit in ________’s inner being, so that Christ may dwell in [his/her]heart through faith–that _________, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that suprasses knowledge, that _________ may be filled with all the fullness of God.

–adapted directly from Ephesians 3:14-19 (ESV)

To this end we always pray for _________, that [You] may make ________ worthy of [Your] calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by [Your] power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in _______, and _______ in You, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

–adapted directly from II Thessalonians 1:11-12 (ESV)

* * * * * * * * * *

Remember that tomorrow is Works-For-Me Wednesday.  I’ll see you back here then!

14 thoughts on “Praying For Our Kids

1. Shannon in Arizona says:

Thanks, that is awesome….that is a work for me wed on tuesday….I have such a hard time praying and it is hard for me to stay focused when I pray….this was truly awesome and helps make everything more personal. Thanks Shannon

2. Laura says:

What a really sweet idea (and wise too). I love praying through Scripture and hadn’t considered it somehow for my children as much. Thanks for the inspiration!

3. mimi2six says:

The best thing about praying Scripture is that you can know for certain you’re praying in God’s will. Beth Moore has written a book about praying Scripture. I haven’t read the book, but others who have say it’s wonderful and very helpful. It’s on my “to read” list.

4. boomama says:

You know what’s so weird, Shannon? Those first two passages? I have the both of them taped to my computer monitor with my son’s name typed in the blanks. Seriously. I keep the second one on our refrigerator, too – it almost always brings tears to my eyes. The only difference is that I use the NIV – because, well, Baptist. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Christy in TN says:

Thank you for sharing this. I say that with tears in my eyes. This was an answered prayer. Lately I’ve felt so inept at being a godly parent and have been asking for help. … “Ask, and it shall be given to you.”

6. Rhonda says:

That’s an awesome idea for anyone that you love. I have a wonderful Bible “Spirit Filled Woman’s Devotional Bible” that has a section called “Praying the Scripture.” I love it.

7. Renae says:

This is awesome! A friend of mine wrote a variation for me and framed it during a low point in my life.
    Have you heard of Moms In Touch? It’s groups of moms that pray for kids in specific schools. It might be a niche for you.
    Renae

8. momrn2 says:

I do the same thing with Ephesians 1:15b-19 as well. Thanks for the heads up to the other references! I love praying and singing scripture! Thanks for this!!