Works for Me: Framing Postcards

Most people have a place that is important to them–maybe a hometown, or the place they attended college, or a favorite vacation spot, etc.  If you go to Ebay and do a search on "vintage postcards", plus the name of the location you have in mind, you might be surprised to see how large the selection is (and how cheap they are!).  The vintage postcards often have a beautiful look–they’re perfect for framing!

For example, when my brother and his wife moved back to the midwest from Philadelphia this past spring, as a housewarming gift I bought some vintage Philly postcards and framed them…voila!  A very personal gift (and inexpensive too, but don’t tell my brother!).  Here’s the finished project:

We lived in downtown Chicago early in our marriage, and I’ve begun a collection of vintage postcards showing various Chicago landmarks.  When I have enough of them collected, I plan to frame them in matching frames and hang them in a large group.

Have a tip that works for you?  Please share it below.

COMING NEXT WEEK:  I’ll introduce a simple new feature that will (hopefully) make it easier to browse through all these great ideas!

58 thoughts on “Works for Me: Framing Postcards

1. Kristina says:

It’s 1 am and I am up, yeah don’t ask. Anyway I entered my link but I am not posting my WFMW until LATER in the morning, try sometime after 7 or something! Great idea btw, with your postcards. Beautiful!

2. Rabbit says:

Okay. I give up. Why the double listing on Mr Linky? It happens every time I try this and I’m sorry! I do love your idea about the postcards, Mrs. Dryer! πŸ™‚

3. Overwhelmed! says:

Very neat idea! I lived in Atlanta for a while and I miss it. I might go look for some vintage postcards!
    I’ve posted my WFMW, and now I’m going to bed! πŸ™‚

4. Carol says:

This is very cool! I’d be tempted to frame postcards from my collection (I still need one from North Dakota…anyone?), but then I wouldn’t be able to read the back easily. eBay sounds like the perfect solution!
    I’ll buy it on E-Baaaaayyyy…

5. Mieneke says:

De-lurking! πŸ˜‰
    That’s a great idea. I am from the Netherlands, living in Ireland.
    Would be lovely to have a bit of the other home over in this one.
    I am stocking up on post cards the next time I’m in the Netherlands! Thanks for putting it up.
    My contribution is up too.
    Have a great day!

6. Joy says:

I love this idea!! I’m gonna get myself over to Ebay and search away! My hubby and I also lived in downtown Chicago…that’s where we met!! Thanks for the fun again this week!!

7. Mary Ann says:

What a great idea! I bought a bunch of postcards when we honeymooned in Colonial Williamsburg(they were about the only souveneir we could afford!LOL!!) and this would be a great way to use them. Thanks again for hosting Works for Me Wednesdays, Shannon!

8. Jennifer, Snapshot says:

I love the idea of vintage postcards. Of course, my love of (addiction to?) blogging came after I went through my ebay stage (addiction?) earlier this year, so dare I even type in the link?? Great tip, and mine is up (#20, which is a high number for 7am EST thanks to all those night owls).

9. Lauarie says:

What a wonderful idea. My extended family travels a lot and I have postcards from all over the world. Right now they are just in a file in a cabinet…I’d love to display them.

10. Amy says:

Oh, Shannon! This is a fantastic idea and would be a lovely gift to someone who is just moving to the area or moved from a home that they really loved!
    I am finally up & running…you guys are quick this morning!

11. Lil Duck Duck says:

WFMW – gaffer tape for babyproofing remotes

Anyone with a toddler knows that they love to take the batteries out of everything. This was a minor annoyance until one day, when the little guy left the battery half-in, half-out and made it leak battery acid all over. We didnt want to use du…

12. blestwithsons says:

to the tune of Oh Christmas Tree
    Oh Works For Me
    Oh Works For Me
    There’s cool ideas all over
    Oh Works For Me
    Oh Works For Me
    From Oceanside to Dover
    We look at all these handy tips
    With merry grins upon our lips
    Oh Works For Me
    Oh Works For Me
    Your Creator, We adore her!
    It’s the best I can do right now…I haven’t had coffee yet.

13. Maggie says:

Great idea! My Hubbyis fron Chicago. We talked about getting some vintage prints for our living room wall. I never thought about a collection of post cards. I need to look for those.

14. peach says:

Great idea! Sure would be a nice way to decorate my virgin walls in my new house! I’ll have to go searching (in all my free time, hee hee!) for some vintage postcards. You can find them at, too, FYI!

15. Elizabeth says:

LOVE this idea and they look great! I’ve been wanting some sort of framed prints down my hallway and this might work out perfectly. Ebay here I come!

16. Michelle says:

Love the idea! We have been collecting the postcards we receive from friends and family and this is an idea of what I can now do with them! We had used some on our boys desk. We took a custom cut piece of plywood, glued down the postcards and then “laminated” over the top with a clear glaze. It provides for a neat desk with a story behind it. I’ll post a picture on my sire ThusFarWithGod.blogspot

17. Sarah's Other Blog says:

WFMW: Bible On-The-Go

…Most days around here, good, long, quiet chunks of time are hard to come by (nonexistent). If I want to maintain a life in the Word, I have to take advantage of every short, fleeting moment that I have. Often, this means being creative in the when…

18. Anne says:

I’ve collected postcards for this purpose but haven’t gotten around to framing them. Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement!

19. Erin says:

This is a great idea. I have some postcards that my mom and I got when we took a trip to Paris years ago. What a great way to remember that trip!

20. HolyMama! says:

it’s been awhile since i’ve been organized enough to remember to do a wfmw – so i had to come by again to tell you thanks. my blog traffic is double what it usually is, thanks to you!

21. Amelia says:

I’ve been hanging around for a couple weeks now and decided to join the fun. Thanks for hosting this! What great ideas.

22. Megan says:

Man, this list! 101 contributors. I lost my ability to keep up with the links in early June…
    I really need something else that works for me here! *wink*

23. tracey says:

We did the same thing with cool old postcards from Tahiti. We honeymooned there so it’s a wonderful reminder of our trip.
    We also framed some vintage postcards from the Grand Canyon and gave them as a house warming gift to the in-laws for their new cabin/second home. They loved them!
    Vintage post cards have the BEST artwork.