Could Have

Five-year-old Joseph burst in the backdoor, gasping with sobs that were angry or hurt–I couldn’t quite tell.  He was sobbing so hard, in fact, that I couldn’t make out what he was telling me; I could only catch the phrases "flew up in the air", "smashed on my face" and "bleeding everywhere".  At these words, of course, my Momma Radar locked into a fully upright position, yet I was puzzled to see that he was clearly unhurt.

"Joseph," I said calmly, "What happened?  You flew up in the air?"

"No," he sniffled.  "But I could have."

"But you didn’t," I said.

"No.  But I almost did," he said, impatient with my reasoning.

So now, it appears, we’re crying about the injuries we could have sustained.  It may be a long summer.

19 thoughts on “Could Have

1. Nikkie says:

Poor little guy! It really is scarey when you realize how hurt you could have been! I hope he learned something from it!

2. Trish says:

Hi new to your blog and it is wonderful! I was laughing out loud while reading that. I have a 4 year old and I can imagine his facial expressions and everything.

3. Rebecca says:

Poor guy. Reminds me of my little guy yelling today because his sister “almost” hurt him…. is it too late for summer camp?

4. chilihead says:

Oh my gosh. I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m totally laughing right now. You should have taken out the imaginary band-aids and bandaged his “bleeding” injuries. LOL.

5. Laura says:

This one was so funny, I made my hubby mute the TV to read it to him. With our four year old around, we can truly empathize… Lord help us when the 1 year old is old enough to do this, because she’s our real drama queen.

6. mimi2six says:

Sounds just like him!!! He’s been with Pop and me for the week, and we’ve enjoyed him and his brother Stephen so very much. We’ve had lots of laughs, but our best laugh was when Joseph came into the kitchen where I was working and asked me to “pause.” Since there was no TV or DVD on at the time, I was a little confused. He explained that his brother and the little girl next door were starting to ride their bikes and he can’t find his sandals, so could I PAUSE…..I am pretty sure he meant for me to pause TIME!!!! Now, if I figure out a way to do that I’ll put it on WFMW!!!