What Matters

Tomorrow is my Hubs’ birthday, and I could write a marathon-length post telling you all the hundreds of reasons I love him.  Instead, I’ll tell you a story that illustrates the kind of man he is.

A couple of months ago, Hubs bought a new car.  You should know that we never buy new cars, because we’re generally pretty stingy frugal.  But because the car Hubs had chosen is an especially reliable model, and he knew he’d likely drive it for a long time, he went ahead and bought a brand new model.  He explained carefully to the boys how important it is that we take very good care of this car (not every family member has the best track record with vehicles).

Fast forward a few weeks later.  After an especially draining week, Hubs was on his way home in his car and filled up at a gas station.  Distracted, he pulled away and rammed right into one of those yellow guard rails at the pump.  The front right quarter-panel of his car was literally peeled OFF.  (You know it’s bad when you can see the wiper fluid from outside the car).  To make things worse, because of a recent large car insurance claim, he instantly knew that we’d have to pay for this out-of-pocket–making another claim so quickly would surely cause our insurance premiums to sky rocket.

He called me to break the news.  Though I marveled at his initial calmness, I shuddered to imagine how totally frustrated he must be.  When it sunk in, would he blow his top?

When he arrived home and the boys saw the damage they were enthralled with such impressive destruction.  But they knew the car was important to Dad, and our seven year old told Hubs how sorry he was this had happened.  And my weary and frustrated Hubs knelt down to Stephen’s level and said, "Son, it’s just a car.  People are much more important than things."

The story doesn’t end there.  A few days later, our next-door neighbor reported to me a conversation she’d had with Stephen the following day.  Stephen had dramatically recounted to her the extensive damage to his Dad’s car.  Our neighbor responded, "Wow, your Dad must’ve been really upset about that!"  "No," Stephen responded.  "He told me that people are more important than things."

He remembered.  It’s hard to think of many more powerful examples for a child to see.

My Hubs isn’t perfect, as he would be the first to tell you.  But in countless instances such as these, he lives out for our family a model of integrity that is beyond priceless.  He daily demonstrates for his children (and for me) hard work, contentment, reason, self-discipline, kindness, honesty and–most of all–an unwavering commitment to Christ.

Happy birthday, Hubs.  I’m so happy you were born, and that you belong to us.

27 thoughts on “What Matters

1. Susanne says:

What a nice tribute and what a great legacy for your kids! And what a convicting post to myself to always watch my reactions and take every opportunity to speak truth to my children!

2. momrn2 says:

Similar thing happened in our house about 6 months ago (not to a new car… but a car nonetheless) and we were given similar words from my hubby! Praise God for men of Integrity, character, and faith!!
    Happy Birthday to your Husband!! May it be a special day for him!!

3. peach says:

Your hubs echoed the motto of the Peachy family. What a wonderful man you have, Shannon. Praise God for his birth and for the celebration of his special day!!

4. bretta says:

Aw, look what you’ve done…you’ve gone and made me cry in my Raisin Bran. What a touching story and what an amazing husband you have [I have one too! :o)] …Happy Birthday to him!

5. LammyAnn says:

Shannon–absolutly beautiful. What a wonderful legacy to your boys… to know that their dad felt that people are more important than cars.
    Your son will remember that lesson his entire life.
    Happy Bday Mr. Rocks.

6. Shalee says:

Happy Birthday Mr. Rocks. And that is figurative too. You rock!
    Shannon, I am so happy that you’ve such a wonderful, loving leader in your family. He truly is a blessing to you all.

7. hogphan says:

Since as Shannon’s dad I’ve gone to such great lengths to embarrass her on this blog, I must now confirm that she did very well selecting a mate. Hubs is a good hub, father and son-in-law and I’m hoping he’ll find me a good nursing home when my need arises, which seems closer and closer! πŸ™‚

8. mom2fur says:

What a great guy! I wish him the happiest of birthdays tomorrow. And maybe something good will happen…maybe you’ll find someone who can fix the damage without much charge–maybe in trade? You know, new cars make us all nervous waiting for that first ‘ding.’ You can tell your husband he can relax now–the ‘ding’ is ‘done.’!! (And may you have many years of perfect driving from now on…)

9. Becca says:

Oh Shannon…what a wonderful story! It’s amazing what kids will remember. I do hope your husband has a wonderul birthday and that you are able to do something special.
    (by the way…I’m new to your blog, but i LOVE it!!!)
    Becca in Indiana

10. Debby Li says:

Hi, I just recently started reading your blog. Very hilarious and insightful too.
    I remember my dad saying the exact same time last month when I damaged his car. (hehehe, was not paying attn when driving). It highly impressed me even at 21 yrs of age. So I think its great that your young son is impressed by it to. You never know how remarkable an impact it is on a child when he/she sees his/her father valuing people more than things. Life-long lesson. πŸ™‚

11. JEN says:

THAT WAS PRICELESS…….I ENJOY READING ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY…..ENJOY YOUR DAY WITH HIM.
    JEN

12. Heather says:

You have a definite keeper for a husband. My husband is a good keeper too. Blessed are all the keepers out there!!
    *smiles and has my quote for the day.*
    Thanks for sharing both of you — Shannon and hubby too.

13. mimi2six says:

Happy Birthday, Hubs……Pop and I are so very proud of you, and we appreciate you and the kind of man/husband/father/son-in-law/person you are. We, too, are very glad that you were born and, especially, that you married into our family.

14. Katherine says:

Sounds like you have one good man there. Hang onto him and make him happy! Happy Birthday – I hope you both get to celebrate somewhere special.