But the Rocks Aren’t Only In My DRYER…

This post was originally published on February 10, 2006.

What is it with little boys and rocks?  I mean, they’re just rocks.  Lumps of hardened earth.  Dirty, drab little hard things that can be weaponized at any moment (ah, I may have just answered my own question…).  As the mother of three boys, I find rocks everywhere.  Just today, here are the places I found rocks in my house, and I promise I didn’t set any of these up…

In the floor of the minivan:

Dscn1390

In the decorative chest on my coffee table:

Dscn1388

In this Wal Mart sack hanging by the back door (and that’s all it contains–rocks):

Dscn1389

In my four-year-old son’s coat pocket:

Dscn1392

On a shelf in my seven-year-old son’s room:

Dscn1394

And in my jewelry box.  Okay, actually this is an acorn, but it’s still a hard, earthen object, and I didn’t put it there:

Dscn1393

But you know what?  These rocks all over my house mean those rowdy, noisy, rock-bearing boys can’t be far behind.  I’ll take that any day.

24 thoughts on “But the Rocks Aren’t Only In My DRYER…

1. Susanne says:

My girls were just as into rocks as my boy. In fact, coming back from the mountains the other day 2 of 3 of mine were carting rocks back home and they are 14 and 11. 🙂

2. mom2fur says:

All those rocks in your little one’s pocket–was he listing to starboard? Maybe you should get them some books or DVDs on geology and let them try to identify some of those rocks. Or maybe you could find some information on fossils?

3. OreoSouza says:

What a great post! And true. We have little stones and sticks scattered thru out the house on any day during the summers. I like Legos, but I love it when my kids play with the toys God gave them.
    And like you said, it means the kids aren’t too far behind, and yeah, I’ll take that any time too.
    When my daughter was 3 years old, she gave her Daddy a tiny acorn she found as a gift. He wrote in letters hardly decipherable because they are so small “From Molly August 1996”
    That acorn stays.

4. Melanie says:

If it makes you feel better, my daughter collects rocks. We also used to have a jar of molted cicada “skins” as I call them. And her little friend collects sticks. At one point we were in a Dum Dum wrapper collection mode. ;>)

5. Emily says:

Oh wow, I can so relate to this with two boys, 5 and 3 years old. I’ve started keeping a decorative jar full of all these rocks they find just because they are so attached to them. And the larger rocks, I set at the front door at the foot of my ferns to welcome people.
    Oddly enough, my husband brings home rocks for me too. We live in NC, and he recently ventured to the Pacific Ocean on a mountain climbing trip. . . he brought me a rock as a souvenir from the Pacific.

6. flipflopmamma says:

Well, it’s not just boys! My 9 year old daughter has a room full of ’em! In every little container, she has rocks. And, I have also found them in her coat pockets, along with crushed up leaves? Hmmm…I don’t understand this rock phenominon (sp?). Maybe it’s not the kids, maybe it’s the rocks! Maybe the rocks are tired of being trampled on, and so they make their way into our houses and pose as pretty decor?

7. Amy says:

LOL! I was just thinking about how NUTS it drives me finding rocks all over the house that my boys have brought in. Now my oldest son has fallen in love with a rock he calls his “pet”. He has a special towel beside his pillow and goes through this special ritual of tucking his rock in to sleep.

8. Rach says:

Too, too funny. I can only imagine how chatoic your house is in the summer? Only because it was my house about, oh, 26 years ago… 🙂 the whole bit…three boys and a girl, etc…
    thank you so much for your little note asking how i was doing!!!!!!!!!!!
    love ya!
    rachel

9. Carrie K. says:

My first two sons didn’t seem to have this predeliction, but my four-year-old certainly does. He has not met a rock, twig, or stick he doesn’t like.

10. Jan says:

Just before I read this, I removed a rock from my washer! I prefer the rocks to their latest acquisition, though. They went to a ranch with friends and brought home…(sit down, now)…a cow skeleton.
    You read it right.
    Anyway, what I noticed most about your photos was how clean your home and car are and how neatly the rocks are arranged. Not bad!

11. Joy says:

My boys LOVE their rocks!! But, here, there aren’t really any pretty ones, just the dusty ugly ordinary ones. Ah well, the fascination continues!!
    Blessings!

12. Heidi says:

My son started picking up rocks just about as soon as he could walk. I love little boys curiosity with nature, so fun…as long as it doesn’t break your dryer! I love your writings here!

13. Kelli says:

My 12 year old boy and 13 year old girl still collect “special rocks” on every trip. As well, the hubby and I have special larger rocks that we have hauled around for 17 years. So, something must be up!

14. courtneyorrange says:

I’ve thought of your blog a bunch over the past two weeks… b/c rocks DID end up in my dryer. It’s not just little boys. My 2 year old daughter is obsessed. Every night I have to pull piles of rocks out of her pockets. In fact, rocks have become my bargaining chip… hold my hand to cross the street and I’ll let you have a rock when we get there. Granted, it takes her 3 full minutes to pick out the “right” rock.

15. jen3 says:

I’m a geologist and have rocks stashed everywhere in our house. Maybe you have little geologists in the making … ???