*UPDATED* Feeding the Beast Within

I wrote earlier in the week about my fixation on hair bows for my daughter.  I mentioned that my new mirlish friend SuperMom has an equally serious bow obsession.  But (be still my heart) she knows how to make them.  She is seriously talented–her daughters’ bow collection had me absolutely drooling.  I’m trying to convince her she should be selling these gorgeous creations at her blog!

Anyway, much to the dismay of my Hubs (who is just thrilled that I’m taking on yet another hobby, I’m sure), I spent this morning at SuperMom’s house so she could teach me this sacred skill.  While our children played, swam, and "beat the crud out of" each other (my son’s words, I’m so proud) at video games, we turned her kitchen table into something that looked like an explosion at Hancocks:

Bowtable

After fully exploiting her know-how and her ribbon supply, I was able to produce the following things (actually, SuperMom made the first one, but I did the others):

Bowpurple

Bowpink

Bowlime

Dscn2335

No, I didn’t curl all that ribbon; SuperMom already had it done.  But she told me how to do it, and I would tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.

Will I be able to reproduce this skill without my new friend standing over my shoulder, armed with a hot glue gun and an extra set of hands?  We shall see…

*UPDATED TO ADD*  Great big hat tip to Erica at Haphazard Happenstances for sending me this link on how to make an altogether different type of bow–these are so cute.  If anyone else wants to send me any bow/ribbon resources, I’ll post them here.  The madness, I cannot stop it…

Big Bow Baby (link courtesy of Christy)

JuJuBean (link courtesy of Michelle)

Sweet Cheeks Bows (link courtesy of Peach)

Best Friend Bows (link courtesy of Wendy)

27 thoughts on “*UPDATED* Feeding the Beast Within

1. Kelli says:

Ya know… if the leather treatment doesn’t work on the bathroom walls doesn’t work … you may have a back-up plan in the works here ….

2. Sarah says:

Okay, Shannon, I’m going to email you the picture I took of Addison tonight–I got the monogrammed bow in the mail today that I’d ordered earlier this week, and though it’s as big as her entire head, I think it’s adorable! I can already see this becoming a True Obsession:) It must be a side effect of having two boys first?

3. Amy says:

Those are all *so* sweet. I used to know someone who made these. Wish I had learned her secrets now that I have a little girl.

4. michelle says:

Those are too cute! We live in the south and trying to at least portray the southern belle image via DD, hairbows are a mainstay in our house. However, none are as cute as these.

5. Mary says:

Hairbows are huge here too.
    The girls at church and preschool wear them HUGE.
    And I know the secret to the corker bows….but I won’t divulge it.
    It’s nuts how cheap grosgrain ribbon is too! When I started making purses and bought some, I couldn’t believe it!

6. peach says:

These are gorgeous. Alas, my girls are now too old for bows. Yet, I be-decked the livin’ daylights out of mine until they were old enough to protest. Libbyline once had over 50 bows in her collection.

7. Shannon in Arizona says:

The green and white poka dotted one is my favorite…..I will be banned from your site if I take on anymore inspiring hobbies from you….first sewing and now this….my man will block your site from me….LOL

8. Katherine says:

I think the bow gene skipped this family. I have given up on ever having good Southern girls. We can hardly keep plain pony tails in for longer than a few minutes. *Sigh* I’ll admire from afar.

9. Michelle-This One's for the Girls says:

You did great! I’ll send you my bow maker kit and instructional CD if you want–they are useless to me. (It tells you how to make a thousand different kinds–including your cute corker.) I ordered it off of ebay in hopes that I could stop shelling out the big bucks–but I’m the kind of person who needs a real life teacher–which is why I can’t sew. Patterns are a real problem for me. Thank God for JuJubean. She’s reasonable. πŸ™‚ Supermom should open her own JuJubean.

10. Christy says:

Shannon, I had to share a link with you. An old friend of mine, her name’s Tomi, she’s been making boutique hair bows for 4 years now & her stuff is A. MAZE. ING.
    She makes bows to coordinate with all the Gymboree & Baby Lulu lines, too, and you will die.

11. Supermom says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    Okay, now I’m off to make a loopy bow. How CUTE is that??!!
    And for the record, ya’ll, Shannon is a natural bow-maker. Hers look better than the one I made. Don’t let her fool you.

12. Stephanie says:

I just want to know how you keep all the hair stuff organized? Seems we need to buy bows and clips and bands almost weekly! They disapear worse than socks in the drier!

13. Rebecca says:

Bows! So cute! I love the huge Russian-type bows – do you know what I mean? Sadly, my seven-year-old just straight out refuses and my baby doesn’t have quite enough hair to really work a bow.

14. chilihead says:

So cute. I’ll have to sit down with you sometime and see if I can make one. I am almost certain I cannot. πŸ˜‰

15. Faith says:

I made bows for my girlds when they were little – it is after all the only southern thing to do- i was not great at it. These are great. I’ll come for a visit/course when we adopt a baby girl or have a grandgirl!

16. melanie says:

Please, Please, Please! tell us how to do this!! I have looked in every store you can possibly imagine and have not found any as cute as these!! It could be a Works for me Wednesday!I am a total bow freak myself, and I LOVE artsy-crafty things as well, so this is right up my alley, but I don’t have a clue how to do it!

17. Tee says:

These are great! And I just love your blog!
    Oh, but please enjoy the hair bows while you can. My daughter stopped letting me dress up her hair at around age eight. (So now I’m hooked on buying her earrings and handbags…all the “tween” stuff. Where has the time gone?)

18. MomInTandyLand says:

I am officially hooked, too! I made a couple of the loopy bows this morning and my daughter loved “helping” me make them (she’s 3). We’re addicted now. Thank you for posting the links! Now if I could just figure out how to do the ones like you did, I’ll be set.
    Oh, and I LOVE the multiple sippy cups on the table in the picture above! Reminds me of my house…