Works For Me: CLASSICS Edition

So, did you get the memo?  We’re going to try something different with Works-For-Me Wednesday this week.  Instead of sharing a new WFMW idea, go back in your archives and find your WFMW that you consider your best one.  Then re-publish it!  It’s sort of a "Greatest Hits" edition.  Here’s mine; it’s actually the first WFMW I ever did, back on April 19, 2006–

Here’s a little idea that has made packing easier when traveling with kids.  I buy those two-gallon Ziploc bags (they are MASSIVE) and label one for each day we are traveling.  Inside each bag is every kid’s clothing for THAT DAY, all the way down to underwear and socks.  So, no more rummaging around in a crammed suitcase or having boy #1 use up all of boy #2’s underwear.  I simply pull out that day’s bag, dump it on the bed, and they can dress themselves.  An added bonus is that it keeps the clean clothes away from the dirty ones.  Here’s a photo of the idea in action, from our recent Disney trip

Such a simple little thing, really, but it made the biggest difference in our trip!

Share your WFMW "classic" below.  If you’ve already prepared a new one, and you’re itchin’ to share it, go ahead.  (WFMW guidelines can be found here; please read through them if you have any questions.)

36 thoughts on “Works For Me: CLASSICS Edition

1. Magi says:

Woo hoo. I usually one of the later ones to post. I just happened to stop by tonight to catch up. I reposted what I think is my most practical tip.

2. Southern Girl says:

Never mind kids! It’s a great thing for adults, especially when going on mission trips. I packed that way every time I went to Honduras on a medical and dental mission — helped keep the dust and critters out of your clothes. 😉

3. Overwhelmed! says:

Okay, that’s odd, I’ve tried to link 3 times now and my link will show up after I enter it, but then it disappears. Am I doing something wrong? If my name appears 3 times or more, please forgive me and just delete all but one. 🙂

4. Jaime says:

Great minds think alike! My idea this week is quite similar–it’s something I came up with after a messy situation.
    I’ll have to try this next time I travel.

5. Tammy says:

This is the first week I’ve been able to participate, so my tip is new. It’s a photo and video tutorial of (what I think is) the best way to quickly dice an onion. What else would you expect from a cooking blog? 😉 I look forward to reading everyone else’s tips!

6. Connie says:

I haven’t been doing this long enough to have archives to fall back on. So this is new but very useful.
    Can’t wait to read everyone’s ideas.

7. Barbara H. says:

Since I haven’t been contributing long enough to consider any of mine “classics,” and I had a new one in mind anyway, I went with it. I’m looking forward to reading others’ classics, though.

8. Heather says:

this would be great for camping. I always pack things in sets and my kids have a habit of tossing everything out of the bag looking for the item they want to wear.

9. udandi says:

Very smart idea!
    gosh, I love that mr. linky! I had to delete my first attempt because I had a typo and was worried I would have two links, but I didn’t!

10. Lil Duck Duck says:

Toddler lunch ideas (WFMW)

Leftovers from dinner!
    Sandwiches on whole grain wheat bread
    Peanut butter and jelly if they are eating peanuts
    Grilled cheese
    Deli meat cheese
    Any sort of melt is especially good, since Lil Duck loves to disassemble his sandwiches.

11. Nettie says:

I love the classics idea! I have a suggestion for next week. There are several WFMW tips that have literally had great impact on my life. What if we were able to post a link to a favorite WFMW posted by someone else? I already know which one I’d choose!

12. Shalee says:

Okay, I’m a dork… I just got the memo AFTER I put my link in… Oh well. That’s what I get for not entering the blogging world yesterday.

13. Amy says:

I was pressed for time this morning so this week’s will be the best post EVER! 🙂 I love your solution- what a great idea.
    Every week I list my entire listing of ideas so people can pick their favorite this week. I have a baby crying and a little boy to run to preschool!!
    Can’t wait to read everyone’s ideas!

14. Melanie says:

Shannon- I already had prepared a new one. It is about a Christian movie in theatres this weekend. Produced by a church in my hometown. I am just too excited not to share! It looks like a “real” movie and it was done by a church. Shows what we could do if we Christians get our heads together. :>)

15. Laurel says:

I love the Classics idea, and I look forward to reading them! I, however, haven’t been doing WFMW long enough to have any classics, lol. I was all excited about a new free tool I found, so I went ahead and posted about it. Thanks so much for hosting, Shannon!

16. Leann says:

I do not have an archive so I did share a new one this week. I think I have done this two times now. I just always think to do this after Wednesday but forget by the next Wednesday. If you knew my life you would know why… LOL

17. Amy says:

I agree with Michelle – I don’t know how my mother and grandmother raised kids before plastic or zip-top bags. I use small ones inside my diaper bag to keep the like items together. It’s sooo much easier to find what I need and to make sure I’ve got everything.

18. Dianne says:

I like the ziploc bag idea for clothes. I do this with my books I take on vacation cuz I hate the thought of them getting touched by a wet towel or something at the beach.

19. crickl's nest says:

I just have to tell you this story. A friend of mine did this very thing for her son as he went off to camp a couple of years ago. Each day’s full outfit, including clean underwear in each ziplok. She was so proud! The day he came home, he was wearing the same clothes he left in….and when she unpacked, all her neat ziploks were unopened! He had just worn one outfit…including underwear and SOCKS for the entire 6 days! She is so hilarious when she tells the story, you can just see the shock coming back to her again. I guess every day he just looked at those bags and didn’t want to mess them up, so he just put on his same outfit. *eeeewwww* boys!

20. Jennifer says:

I found your blog and loved it. I tried starting my own and am still trying to figure out how to do the linking etc. I am sure it takes time. Thanks for the WFMW. They are great. I have seen lots of very creative blogs.