Works For Me: Coke Roast

I read a recipe in Southern Living this spring that has been a huge hit with my family.  Actually, there are so few ingredients, I’m not sure it qualifies as a recipe.  More of an idea, really.  But anyway, here it is:

• One big, honkin’ boneless pork loin roast (and yes, big honkin’ would be the technical term.)
  • A can of Coke
  • A full bottle of barbecue sauce

Dump it all in the crock pot for at least 6 hours.  Oh, your house will smell SO good, and your family will love it.  The Coke makes it all tender and runny.  I slice it up and pour some additional barbecue sauce on it before serving.  Then I serve it up with cole slaw and corn on the cob and why-thank-you-I-think-I-will iced tea.

If you’d like to share your clever ideas with all of Bloggityville, leave your link below.  Guidelines for WFMW can be found here–please read through them if you’re a first-time participant or you have any questions.

31 thoughts on “Works For Me: Coke Roast

1. Rebecca Mielke says:

That is the coolest idea! In the winter I love to start a roast Saturday night and have it ready after church on Sunday. This recipe is simple enough for even me.
    Thanks! šŸ™‚

2. Overwhelmed! says:

I have this recipe and I’ve made it before! It’s quite yummy!
    So, I’m drawing a blank on a worthwhile WFMW tip. I’m still playing catch up with the fantastic response I’ve had from my “Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style” recipe exchange so I think I’ll just take a look at other’s WFMW tips this week and then join in again next week.
    Thanks for hosting WFMW. It’s one of my favorites. šŸ™‚

3. Shereen says:

lol I’m vegetarian, so I can’t really comment much on this, but I know my father in law used to do something like this. Thanks for hosting WFMW.

4. Nancy says:

This is my first WFMW…..thanks for the hosting.
    The roast sounds delish, like something my sister would make for her big old hubby and son.
    I can’t try it for a while since I would have to eat on it for a week…..the feller has moved to North Carolina for his new ER job and I am holding down the fort here in Kentucky. It is Lean Cuisine for this chick!

5. Nettie says:

Yay! Another crockpot recipe! That sounds delicious. We’ve cooked chickens and ham using coke, but never pork loin. We’ll definitely have to give it a try.

6. Kelli says:

I make this recipe a lot and I also do it when having to take foods to families for occasions such as funerals, potlucks, etc.

7. Shalee says:

I’ve heard of Coke roasts but I’ve never tried it, although I have had a Coke marinated steak and it was divine. The roast really does sound delicious. And it just so happens that I have a big honkin’ roast in the freezer. What kind of bbq sauce do you recommend? Kraft, Famous Dave’s… what’s your preference?

8. The Wooden Porch says:

Sounds easy. I’m all for easy!! Especially with small children and a husband who is obsessed with play off baseball and deer hunting this time of year.
    It’s also a great time to pull out that crockpot. I love the smell that fill the house. mmmmmm. Which reminds me, I actually posted another crockpot recipe on my blog that is JUST as easy as yours:
    We had it for supper on Monday and it was delicious.
    I accidently left two links on mr. linky. Whoops! Eventually I’ll get this whole blogger thing down…

9. Amy says:

Oh, I just love slow cooker recipes. Thanks for sharing your secret recipe šŸ™‚
    I wanted to tell you, ladies, that if you have a Walmart (and who doesn’t??) I am in the All You Magazine for our blog/site for this month’s edition. I am on page 84 and it was neat to get some recognition.
    I will go and repent for singing my praises now šŸ˜‰ Just had to share it with my favorite Wednesday people!

10. Kilikina says:

I have to say I love works for me wednesday and for SOME reason I have been SO busy on Wednesday’s and have not been able to post a WFMW. *sigh* I will pick it back up. I am sure you don’t even notice I was “gone” but I wanted to tell you I’m actually still here!