Works For Me: Saving Candy

Wfmwheadersmall_1

In the category of Excruciatingly Cheap Mom Tricks That Will Probably Have My Kids In Therapy Someday, here’s my little suggestion for all that Halloween candy that is probably overtaking your house right now.

J0384753_1 Go through it, pick out some good ones that don’t have Halloween-ish decorations on them, put them in a big ziploc bag and freeze and…VOILA!  Stocking stuffers in only two short months!  Ho, ho, ho!

Yes, I’m that cheap.  I do it every year, and (as far as I know) the kids haven’t figured it out.  Works for me!

Feel free to share your WFMW link below.  Please read through the guidelines if you have any questions.

48 thoughts on “Works For Me: Saving Candy

1. Larae says:

That’s an absolutely brilliant idea! The only hard part is finding the candy without the Halloween logos/pictures on them! Thanks for the idea =)

2. Tammy says:

My freezer is my friend, too πŸ˜€ And even if the candy wouldn’t spoil in 2 months’ time, at least it’s less tempting to eat when it’s rock-hard-frozen, right? πŸ˜‰

3. on the Rock says:

Ho ho ho? Ha ha ha!
    Great idea for spreading getting cavities over a longer period of time! Something to look forward to for Christmas – the candy I mean!

4. Overwhelmed! says:

I’ve heard of this trick but I haven’t tried it yet. Snuggle Bug’s still too young to eat candy and if we keep it, Oronzo and I will just end up eating it (not a good thing). For now, I’m taking Snuggle Bug’s candy in to work and letting my co-workers eat it. πŸ™‚

5. Debs says:

I just did my fist WFMW. It’s on organising shopping lists – I commented on Amelia’s WFMW post last week which was about planning a menu, and suggested planning your shopping list like we do, and she said it ought to be a post, so this week I made it one!
    Thanks for hosting this Shannon πŸ™‚

6. Carol says:

I think this could also work for Valentines. And Easter. It could even stretch all the way to next Halloween! Muaaaaahahahaha!!!

7. Barbara H. says:

Wow, what a haul!!! That’s a great idea. I didn’t know you could freeze candy. But even at Christmas, Easter, and Valentine’s, we end up with so much that I am cleaning out old stuff (that I am wondering about whether it is still good, and end up tossing it) to make room for the new. Much better to freeze the extras for the next event.

8. Pass the Torch says:

Great tip! But if you think THAT’s cheap, listen to this:
    We don’t buy candy for trick or treating. We aren’t home because we’re on our halloween rounds.
    So we just ask the kids to pick out a few items from their own spoils after we get home. Then if anyone comes to our door (this is rare in the boonies), Voila!
    Trick or Treat!

9. MamaDuck says:

Ok, now that I’m reading my link wording again… I’m not EATING toddlers, it’s about getting toddlers to eat – oh my. I need coffee!!

10. floorplan says:

Shannon…
    Truly Thrifty. HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>> once your kids discover that the freezer makes chocolate go all white-ish, the gig is up.
    I just stash mine in the Christmas storage bins, in with the stockings. The choc. won’t go bad in 2 months.

11. momrn2 says:

Fabulous idea! (I did notice the fruit on the table by the big mound in the middle… maybe it the real fruit will help counteract the “fruits” of their labors!):-)

12. MomInTandyLand says:

Gracious, that’s a LOT of candy!
    Oh, and we tried your biscuit recipe from last week. Oh good heavens were they good! I hid from the kids and ate the leftovers all by myself. LOL

13. Nancy says:

Today is November 1st…….time to start thinking TURKEY!
    So, my MFMW is a GREAT Thanksgiving site!
    I enjoyed just browsing through all the tips and hints…kind of like window shopping!

14. Pieces says:

That is a great idea. I have frozen them before but without a purpose so I end up snacking on them myself. Saving them for stockings is a super plan.

15. Julie Q. says:

I’m going to freeze the candy just as soon as I’ve had my share.
    My tip is on going a little crazy on homemade costumes (and why it’s worth it).

16. Carrie says:

my husband wanted to give away last year’s halloween candy that was still stashed in our pantry. umm, no. thrifty, i am, but i’m not into making the neighborhood kids sick.
    my wfmw is up – great corn dogs!

17. Julie says:

I love your candy idea. Much nicer than me throwing a few pieces in the trash every few days. They never notice that their stash is going down way faster than they are eating it!
    I messed up when I left my name, first time to play…my post is on cooking for the freezer.

18. Amy says:

Oh, I just *love* smart & cheap mommas πŸ™‚ That is such a great idea! I am definitely doing that this year πŸ™‚
    Sorry we are running behind on ours- Blogger has been giving me serious issues. I need to move our blog over to WordPress. I can’t take it much more.
    The blog today is great for organizing junkies πŸ™‚ Color-coding mommas- please visit πŸ™‚

19. April says:

Wow, this is a really good idea. Brilliant as a matter of fact! You can bet I’ll be doing that this year. Thanks for the idea.

20. Brenda says:

Oh my word, that’s a lot of candy! Great idea to put some of it away – saves money on Christmas and dental bills.
    Love your new look! Crisp and clean.

21. Robin says:

You want cheap? I just went to Joann’s and bought 4 princess dress up dresses for $20. I am going to take them out of the halloween-y wrappings, put them in Christmas bags and let my girls think Santa is the coolest ever again this year.
    Who says Christmas has to be expensive. Just fun and memorable!!!