The Corrie Story, Part 1

My daughter’s birthday is approaching later this week, and it has dawned on me that I’ve never written her birth story.  For us, it was very dramatic, though I know it’s mild compared to what other families have been through.  Still, I don’t want to forget one minute of it.  So if you’ll indulge me, here’s Corrie’s birth story, in three parts (it’s a long story, y’all).  Here’s part one:

Around March of 2003, I was telling Hubs about some friends of ours who had a surprise pregnancy.  He looked at me nervously.  "That wouldn’t happen to us, would it?" he asked.  My response (and yes, this is actually what I said):  "No, Honey.  When you hear of people ‘accidentally’ getting pregnant, what that actually means is that they messed up on their birth control.  We’re very careful–we’re just not the sort of people that happens to."

And somewhere up in Heaven, God must’ve thrown His mighty head back and laughed.  Because one month later, while the room spun around me and my jaw hung open, I was looking in amazement at two little pink lines on a plastic stick.

I gave myself 24 hours to try to adjust to the idea before even telling Hubs.  He took the surprising news well, but we were both reeling.  This had not been apart of Our Plan For Our Family.  We were very content as the parents of three little boys.  It was kind of our schtik, you know?  Boys will be boys.  Three is a charm.  We were done.  We stumbled through the next few days, numb and confused and even, if I were to be brutally honest, disappointed.

Until I began bleeding.

I had endured two miscarriages before.  I knew the signs.  And I had every single one of them.  Before I had even had a chance to grow accustomed to the idea of being pregnant, it appeared this little life inside me was slipping away.  My doctor agreed that this was likely what was happening, but we would wait a few days and see.  We waited.

And we waited

And in my heart, a deep seed of desire took root as I pleaded with God to save this little life that I didn’t even know I wanted so desperately.

Remarkably, though the bleeding continued for a time, I did not miscarry.  On the contrary, the morning sickness hit me like a truck as this little baby evidently took hold.  Relief and joy and nervousness and nausea washed over me every single day.

Dscn0382 My pregnancy continued normally for a time.  My boys began to be excited about their new little sibling (whom they named "Godzilla", for some reason, a nickname which, mercifully, did not stick).  Here I am at about 20 weeks on vacation on the Alabama Gulf Coast.  Just after this trip, we had an ultrasound, and we took Adam and Stephen with us.  For the second time in five months, my jaw dropped to the floor when the tech announced that we were having a girl.

A girl?  What am I supposed to do with a girl?  I’m a mom of boys.  We do t-ball and Hot Wheels and patched-up jeans and buzz cuts.  A GIRL?

Despite the shock, I was thrilled beyond words.  I remember going back out to the car after the ultrasound and sitting there quietly, shaking my head in disbelief and laughter.  A girl?  God was blessing me with a daughter?  A surprise daughter?  I couldn’t contain myself.

A few more normal weeks passed, except for my diagnosis of gestational diabetes.  Still, this wasn’t a huge hurdle; I was able to manage it with my diet.  The fall of 2004 passed uneventfully as we eagerly planned for our new little daughter, due December 23rd–a Christmas baby!  I prepared a room so pink that it actually glowed out into the hallway.

In late October, Hubs took the boys camping.  I looked forward to a weekend alone in which I’d finish up the nursery before the holiday rush hit.  They would be out of cell phone range, but that was no concern–I was only 32.5 weeks and was having no complications.  At the last minute, my mother decided to come for a visit and help me.  I’m so glad she did.

Saturday, October 30th, Mom and I had been busy shopping and working in the nursery.  I was tired and took a nap in the afternoon.  I awakened around 3:30 pm to feel a strange leak of fluid.  Great, I thought, bladder problems.  Just what I need.  I cleaned up and we went to dinner.  Afterwards, we watched a movie, but the strange leak continued.  I told my mom about it, and she suggested we go the hospital to make sure it wasn’t amniotic fluid.  I shrugged it off.

By 11 pm, when the leaking continued, my mom insisted we visit the hospital (thank you, Lord, that she was there–would I have gone in had I been alone?)  I drove us to the hospital, laughing the whole way at the thought that these nurses were going to tell me–a fourth-time mother–that I was wetting my pants.  How delightful.  We watched Saturday Night Live in the hospital room while we waited for the test results.  They came in around midnight.

My water had broken.  At 32.5 weeks

The room was spinning around me as the nurse said something about "remaining at the hospital" and "bedrest" and "infection" and "NICU", but I couldn’t take it all in.  The nurse left and I reached out my hand to my mom, who came to my bed and sat with me.  We prayed aloud. Please, God, please place Your hands on this little baby and keep her safe…

To be continued tomorrow

31 thoughts on “The Corrie Story, Part 1

1. Jessica Vinson says:

You are such a great storyteller. I was blessed with my baby girl after 2 boys and it is a little shocking

2. edj says:

“accidental pregnancies” indeed! *chuckling * I had two of those! AND, the night we conceived twins, I told my husband, “Don’t worry–I can’t get preg right now.” Famous last words.
    Can’t wait to read the rest of the story, but I’m happy because I already know it’s a happy ending 🙂

3. Julie says:

I’m learning not to tempt God with that whole “NEVER!” thing. But just reading your description cracked me up! Truly, the Lord sits in the heavens and laughs. (Psalms 2:4)
    What an exciting story ~ looking forward to Part 2.

4. MomInTandyLand says:

Can’t wait for the next installment! Now I want to do my kids’ birth stories, too. I had them all done, but my computer died and we lost everything. I need to sit down and write them again.

5. peach says:

The tears are stinging in my eyes and you put those dreaded words on the screen . . . to be continued!!!!
    We’ll be back, but only ’cause you’re keepin’ us hangin’!!!
    Great story so far . . . I may have to do this when JD Green’s birthday rolls around. He has quite the story as well.

6. Michelle-This One's for the Girls says:

This could be my story for our baby Julianna. When I was “late” my husband asked me if it was possible and I said–“There is NO WAY I could possibly be pregnant.” A week later, I sat in the hallway with a positive pregnancy test and we were both crying and laughing at the same time. Strangely enough, in God’s providence, my husband was on vacation and my four older kids were spending the entire week with my sister-in-law when we found out. (She has never kept all four kids at one time and she probably never will again…) And so there we were, in our home, alone, for the first time in 14 years, painting the dining room, watching President Reagan lie in State and absorbing the news that we would now be parents of FIVE.
    Our plan was definitely FOUR–as you can tell by the ages of our children: 15, 13, 10, 8 and… 1.
    She was a Christmas baby and we’ve never felt more complete since she joined our family.
    Can’t wait to read installment 2. 🙂

7. Chris says:

Like you, my husband and I were ‘done’ with having children. We were pretty content with the size of our family – 3 kids.
    We were being EXTREMELY careful to not get pregnant, as I was headed for surgery.
    I was pregnant. And guess what?
    TWINS! Yup, a year ago our family went from 3 kids to 5 of them.
    Not at ALL a part of our plan, but boy oh boy are we ever thankful that they were a part of God’s.

8. Megan says:

So glad for your surprise sweetie! So… any chance for another surprise???
    By the way, I would LOVE a surprise, but joining the v-club really makes that hard. I know it’s not impossible, but it would have to be a miracle, really. But I would love one… 🙂

9. Susan says:

My little girl(2 years old) was a surprise after three boys as well. She is such a joy to our whole family. I like God’s plan much better than mine!!

10. Susanne~Living2Tell says:

Surprise, surprise, I have one of those precious children too! Also was due on the 23rd of December. Maybe I’ll post God chuckling or more like uproariously laughing at us story later in December. I know God’s got a sense of humor when I read these kinds of stories. I’m glad you shared and I can hardly wait to read the rest!

11. momrn2 says:

Aaarrrghghg… I’m on the edge of my seat, my heart pounding, my mother heart reaching through the screen (even though this is past…) How long must we wait for part II?? I’m so ready!!!

12. Tara says:

Hey, I’m in the boat you were in a few years ago. My three sons are waiting for their baby sister! What DO you do with a girl after three boys???

13. Tami says:

Thanks for the story.
    I have a similar story with my little girl- We had only boys, were completely taken off guard with my pregnancy (my due date was a week before yours!), were shocked when the ultrasound tech said, “It’s a girl. Really.”, and I also painted my little girl’s room glowing pink. I love having a girl, and always love your posts about ‘Corrie’ because I can relate so much.
    My husband and I still can’t believe it sometimes, like when we are buying hair bows, tights, or Mary Jane shoes.
    Thanks for the story- I’m looking forward to the rest of it.

14. Janelle says:

Ahh, I hate having to wait, but it turns out well so at least I don’t have to worry! I LOVE sharing birth stories. Good idea, I’ll do my boy’s stories when their birthdays roll around.

15. Deanna says:

I know you have a life and all but do you have to keep us waiting until tomorrow???
    My third was a surprise, a shock as well and a difficult pregnancy with an early arrival yet I cannot bear to think of the joy that would be missing from our lives if we had not been blessed with this surprise!!

16. Julie says:

And I mocked my husband for asking if I was sure I hadn’t wet the bed when my water broke at 3 in the morning? Of course it was a little bit more than a “leak”. I love birth stories. I just posted my daughter’s who turned 4 last week.

17. Debs says:

I’m so glad I know there’s a happy ending at the end of the story cos I’m desperate to hear the next bit. And having glanced at the last comment I’ve realised I’m almost saying the same thing as Melessa did. But hey, I thought of it myself before I saw what she wrote!

18. Gina says:

Sounds like my first and last birth story. My water broke 4 1/2 weeks early and my last baby was a surprise girl with three older brothers. Can’t wait to hear the rest!

19. Laura says:

Both of our children were surprises – but our youngest was the whopper. And, like you, I started bleeding soon after finding out we were pregnant, and began mourning the child we didn’t even know we wanted, beseeching Him to please let her (it) live.
    God is good – He heard those prayers – I am so glad He blessed us with our baby girl, and you with yours. Our girls are just a couple of months shy of the same age – ours was born 9/21/04! Ironic how we were going through the same thing at almost the same time…

20. Kim says:

I had #4, also a surprise girl, after water breaking at 34 weeks. I’m anxious to see how yours turned out. Also, if you think of it, pray for Errica, a mom at 32 weeks who has just been put on bedrest for this very reason. She is very scared right now.

21. katherine says:

I’ll second (well, third or fourth) 🙂 the previous comments that I’m glad I already know how this one turns out! You had me tearing up and we’re only at the end of part one. Thanks for sharing this story (and starting a trend, I see). I LOVE reading birth stories. My little one’s birthday is approaching, so I’m getting in the mode of “wow. A year ago I was . . .”