It’s Cute In a Two Year Old

It’s been a few years since I was the mother of a toddler, but Corrie is graciously re-initiating me into the delightful quirks of having a two year old in the house.

These days, it’s critically important to her that we all stop whatever we’re doing to verbally acknowledge whatever she’s talking about.  If we do not, she will repeat herself over and over, the volume dramatically increasing until we do.  For example, when we’re outside, she says (growing louder with each word), "Sky.  Sky.  SKY.  SKY.  SKY-Y-Y-Y-Y…" until I say, "Yes, darlin’, I see the sky."

Or, whenever our dog walks into the room (EVERY time):  "Woof.  Woof.  WOOF.  WOOF.  WO-O-O-O-F…."  And we answer "Yes, Corrie, the dog says woof."  I truly think she would continue barking all afternoon until we acknowledged her.

The greatest infraction is if we do not stop the rotation of the very Earth itself and run to the TV with her EVERY time Joe finds a clue:  "A cwoo.  A cwoo.  A CWOO!  A CWOO!  A CW-O-O-O-O!…."  "Yes, darlin’, praise the Lord in Heaven, Joe has found a clue."

As with all toddler behavior, I laugh to imagine what it would be like if we never outgrew these tendencies.  Can you imagine if every time I went into Wal Mart I said, "Bath towels on sale.  Bath towels on sale.  BATH TOWELS ON SALE.  BATH TOWELS ON SA-A-A-A-ALE!…" until everyone in the store ran to agree with me?

Though as I write those very words, I have to wonder if that tendency isn’t just a little bit responsible for my desire to write a blog.  I sit here typing in my kitchen, in my sweats, saying, "My kids are cute.  My kids are cute.  MY KIDS ARE CUTE.  MY KIDS ARE CU-U-U-UTE!"  Agree with me!  Leave a comment!  Affirm me!

Alright, so maybe I haven’t outgrown it after all…

39 thoughts on “It’s Cute In a Two Year Old

1. Theresa says:

I am SO with you…Sugar is constantly doing this to us too. My personal fav…”I get dit, I get dit, I GET IT! I g-e-t- i-t!”
    Me: Okay, you get it, you get it! You’re right we never out grow it do we? πŸ™‚

2. Pastormac's Ann says:

Your kids are definitely cute!
    When one of my daughters was a toddler, she would get absolutely hysterical if we didn’t drop everything and run to the TV to hold hands and sing the “I love you” song at the end of Barney. Didn’t matter if we were in the shower or otherwise indisposed. Boy am ever glad we grew out of that – and Barney.

3. Jenny says:

you astound me with your way at looking at things. I am wondering why I didn’t see this all before, and why I can’t say it as funny as you. You keep me laughing!
    by the way, your kids are cute. really.
    I think you are right about the blogging. It must be why I post pictures of my kids. I already think they are the cutest things, ever! but I must need it affirmed.
    Jenny in Ca

4. peach says:

Your kids ARE cute. Now, come tell me the same thing and we will still be friends : ) Maybe check the “yes” or “no” box, and then you can still be my friend . . .
    BTW, LOVE the Merry Christmas look — so fun and festive!!!

5. Antique Mommy says:

Very perceptive of you about the blogging, you clever girl. And as a fellow Wal-Mart shopper, if your child is loudly repeating some random phrase a jillion times for attention? For the love of all that’s good and sane – ANSWER HER! – sothatImayshopinpeacethankyouverymuch. πŸ™‚
    And? Love the new banner. Are there rocks in those boxes?

6. Jules @ Everyday Mommy says:

Heeeeeeyyyy! I think you may be on to something with the Wal-Mart example. We could all help each other out if when we find a great deal we all start yelling, “MILK ON SALE. MILK ON SA-A-A-A-ALE! BOLOGNA ON SALE! BOLOGNA ON SA-A-A-A-ALE! DIAPERS ON SALE! DIAPERS ON SA-A-A-A-ALE!

7. Jennifer, Snapshot says:

Wow, you look all fancy and classy.
    I am so with you on the toddler repetition. My husband doesn’t get it, so we hear, “Daddy, driving? Daddy, driving? Daddy, driving?” I have to remind him, “Honey. Say, ‘yes, I’m driving,’ and he will stop!” But it is cute. What’s really cute is that he talks to himself (and answers himself) as he’s waking up each morning. “Daddy work.” “Yeah.” “‘dada school?” “Yeah.”

8. Joanne says:

So that is where kids get that repetitive behavior. Once again, we as parents are to blame for their most annoying…err…cute behavior.

9. Heather says:

I babysit a 2 year old and she is eerily the same. She said, “Hi Carrie” to my 4 year-old’s friend so many times the other day that I thought we would all go nuts. My 4 year old and the 6 year old I babysit kept telling her to please say “Hi” back so she would stop. CUTENESS!

10. proverbs31 says:

I’m with you! I don’t remember my first daughter doing this so much, but my middle daughter did. She is three and only recently grew out of that, she still does it on occasion. I had to remind people frequently that “if you’ll just say ‘yes, I see’, she will stop!” =) She was particularly persistent about it. πŸ˜›

11. Sally says:

As the mother of a teenager and a pre-teen,
    (who now know absolutely everything and hardly feel the need to talk to me at all unless they want something)I remember the toddler repetition days fondly.

12. misslionheart says:

I *love* the new header! My 2 year old is exactly the same. Everything has to stop when Bob the Builder comes on the TV. (Bobbidy, as he calls him!)

13. MamaDuck says:

Ha, my little guy does this exact same thing!! It’s also brought to us in the car, when it is an endless “Mommy??”…. “Yes, baby?”…. “Daddy??”…. “Yes??”…. “Mommy?”…..
    Ah yes. What a joy ;).
    I love your Christmas header too!!

14. honey says:

Oh I loved this! I have a 2 year old too. Right now everything has to be perfect. Every crumb, every drip has to be cleaned up as it falls or it is “dirty!” So much fun. πŸ™‚ My oldest just turned 4; so I know there’s much fun ahead, but these are the laughter days. πŸ™‚

15. honey says:

P.S. Your kids are cute!
    Oh I hear your daughter. She is saying, “Mommy?”
    You: “Yes darling?”
    Her: “Mommy?”
    You: “Yes?”
    Her: “(giggle)Mommy?”
    You: (silence).
    Her: “Mo-o-mm-yyyyyyyyyy!”
    Repeat. πŸ™‚

16. Kara says:

My 2yr old does that too and it can get get a bit annoying lol. Kitty, kitty, KITTY! Until I agree that yes, indeed, it is a kitty. Aren’t they fun?

17. Andrea says:

I’m totally convinced God created toddlers for his amusement. I mean, how funny must it be to watch us dealing with these little people?! (My son is the same. Only louder. ‘Cause he IS a boY!)

18. Rachel says:

Oh my goodness, but four year olds still have not outgrown this. I don’t know if it’s the Asperger’s or what, but my Aaron will keep repeating his idea or thought over and over until I point out to whatever grown-up he’s near that he will keep saying that until you acknowledge him. On Monday he went into his classroom and saw his new job and just kept repeating, “I’m the bellringer. I’m the bellringer! I’M THE BELLRINGER!” until his teacher acknowledged him, “Yes, Aaron, you’re the bellringer!” And at home, I’ve got ALL of them doing that. I swear, I feel that most of what I get to say all day is simply acknowledging what each child has just said. That’s it. Too cute! And I agree, we obviously don’t grow out of it. Now go read my blog and acknowledge that MY kids are cute. My kids are CUTE!!! πŸ™‚