At Least They’re Learning About Forgiveness…

I just learned that I’m a nominee in two categories for the Christian Women Online Awards:  the Friendship Award, and the Best Mommy Award.  I am deeply honored, totally humbled, and I appreciate your nominations, really and truly.  For grins, I put the nominee banners on my sidebar, but they’re ginormous, aren’t they?  I’m feeling sheepish–I think I’ll take those down in a day or two.

But GOOD NIGHT NANCY I feel like I have you all fooled, if anyone thinks I deserve the Best Mommy Award.  If the award is for wanting to be a good mommy, well, of course that is my greatest desire.  But actually managing it?  Truly, if you could’ve seen how horribly grouchy I was with my kids this week….*sigh*….well, I’m glad you couldn’t.  I’m sure if I told my kids about the nomination I’d be met with blank stares.

It’s the one thing about mommy-blogging that gets my goat every now and then.  I tend to record the sweet moments, those adrenaline-filled episodes when I know I delivered just the right bit of wisdom or gentle patience.  Sadly, I sometimes feel like they merit recording because those moments are so…well, rare.  So much of the time, this mothering gig feels like a constant laboratory in which I, not the kids, am the recipient of daily quizzes on patience, creativity, and fast-thinking.  I have to ask for forgiveness.  Often.

There.  I just had to get that off my chest, in the unlikely event that you somehow read my blog and think, for even a minute, that our life is one sweet, cuddly moment after another.  There are in fact, many tantrums, space-outs, and revolts.  And that’s just from ME.

Anyway, back to the awards…go check out the other nominees (many of whom are my dear blogging buddies) by clicking on the graphic below.  It’s a great bunch of women, and I’m honored to be in their company.

20 thoughts on “At Least They’re Learning About Forgiveness…

1. peach says:

Dittos to the “mommy gig”. I totallly agree and share in the tantrum-throwing (today included, while a migraine raged).
    Congrats on the nominations . . . well-deserved, indeed!
    I’m glad to be in the trenches with the likes of you : )

2. Jennifer, Snapshot says:

It’s so true, but don’t you think that blogging about the wonderful times kind of works as accountability for us to be sure that we are striving to maintain that ideal? We all know that we aren’t perfect all the time in every way.
    Congrats.

3. chilihead says:

Y’all, I’ve seen her in action and her boys and girl are wonderful. It’s due in no small part to Shannon’s great parenting (OK, and her Hubs). Yes, we all have those moments we’d rather others didn’t see, but I’d still nominate Shannon for a Mommy award any day!
    Congratulations, friend. Well-deserved!

4. HolyMama! says:

YEA!!!! of course you should leave those well deserved nominations in your sidebar. enlarge them! frame them!! but don’t delete or feel unworthy, ‘kay? totally fitting, so congratulations!!

5. Big Mama says:

Congratulations Shannon! I think all of us are doing the best we know how to do…somedays that’s enough and somedays we watch the wheels fall off. You do a great job of making us feel okay through it all.

6. Jenn says:

What comes across is that you have a great and loving marriage and that makes you a great mommy in the long run. I am not a mom yet, but I am a teacher and I have my bad days too. I have to remind myself that it is a marathon not a sprint. By the way I think it was your son’s b-day post that got you nominated! Very telling!

7. Susanne~Living2Tell says:

Congratulations, Shannon, on the nominations. Don’t you take those out of your sidebar! None of us is perfect, we all know that. Besides this is the definition of the award: “Best Mommy Award
    A mommy who joys in the job of raising little ones for the Lord.” And that is what comes across in your blog. Enjoy your nomination.

8. Heth says:

I was under the impression that you were perfect, until I found out that your house was raggety. Then I knew we were kindred spirits. πŸ™‚
    You deserve that award Shannon, because you are real, not perfect.

9. Darlene says:

Argh! They are ginormous–aren’t they? I’ll have to make the winning ones a tad bit shorter. You almost snagged a humor award placement too. Aren’t you popular? πŸ™‚ lol

10. Jenny says:

Congratulations! I love reading your blog, and I know you are probably not perfect, who is? But your love for your kids shines through, and that is what makes you a nominee.
    And you make us laugh, and you make us pause and think, and pause and enjoy.
    blessings,
    Jenny in Ca

11. Tammy says:

This post was so sweet and honest…thank you for those words because I know they help the rest of us when we have a day or week when we feel like mommy-failures.
    But I can tell- you deserve these nominations!
    Congratulations! πŸ˜€

12. Shalee says:

Congrats on the nominations, Shannon! It’s post like this that make you so worthy of nominating.
    And don’t worry. I’ve met you and know that you’re not perfect. But you are down-right lovable – and that is why you are so deserving of said awards.