That Strange Popping Noise You Hear Is My Head Exploding

The 2006 Weblog Awards

It was a normal morning yesterday–I was just drinking Diet Coke at the computer while the kids finished getting ready for school.  And then what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a frantic e-mail from Chilihead telling me I was a finalist in the parenting category of this.

The Weblog Awards.

The Big Boys of blog awards.  The Grand Cahuna.  The Whole Enchilada.  The Mac Daddy.  (Insert more impressive cliches here; I’m too tired to think of any more).

I very quickly did a Google search to see if there was, in fact, another Rocks In My Dryer parenting blog, because NO WAY could that be me.  And yet, it was.

Wonders never cease.

I’m just a big old speechless ball of nerves over this, and very grateful to whoever (or whomever?  Drat, that gets me every time…) nominated me.  And at the risk of sounding like an utter cheese-ball, it really is a completely humbling honor just to be nominated.  The other parenting nominees are some of the Big Namers.  I feel like the junior high kid who showed up at a senior high party.  I think I’ll scoot my chair over to the corner, thankyouverymuch.

Voting will begin sometime later today, and OH YES I will be telling you how you can vote.  So stay tuned.

And thank you.  I feel like I have the best gig in town.  So much of this blog’s success comes from what you bring to it–your brilliant WFMW ideas, your hilarious comments, your clever feedback.  The rest comes from those four little comedians living under my roof–all I have to do is just show up.

Y’all are the best.

28 thoughts on “That Strange Popping Noise You Hear Is My Head Exploding

1. Michele says:

When you see how many people were nominated you realize that just being a finalist is a huge win. Cliched by true! (I’m starting to believe those actresses who have said that over the years about the Oscar. 🙂 Godspeed Shannon. I know you will kick butt.

2. floorplan says:

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
    You also have a VERY clever title (and I want to see the lady in the green shirt on top of the dryer again. I thought it captured your personality so well)
    Will have to say, however, that my all time favorite parenting blog title has to be “Breed ‘Em and Weep” ……. guffaw!

3. jeana says:

Congratulations! No head popping here, I’m not surprised at all that you are a finalist.
    Admit it. You saw this coming and made us go with you to try on formals so you could practice your acceptance speech.

4. edj says:

euw…you drink Coke in the morning? Yuck. You forgot that one in your list of weird things.
    I’m very happy at this news because honestly, you deserve it. So many of the “big name” parenting blogs are self-centered and whiny and tell us more about their kids than we ever wanted to know. You offer wisdom (don’t gag–I mean it) and hope and real parenting–both the sweet and the hard sides, along with a good balance of topics. Good job! Keep it up!

5. Shalee says:

You know we’ll be stuffing the box, I tell you! STUFFING the BOX! Those so-called big boys won’t know what hit them!
    And even if they won’t let us stuff it, you know that you are still the tops with us.
    And I think this calls for another trip to the mall…
    And Jeana, what do you mean “us”?! You wouldn’t get in one because of a “headache” if I recall… You are so getting in one next time.

6. Susan G. says:

I am not at all surprised. I love your blog – you help remind this mom of four that I am not alone!

7. Tammy says:

Congratulations Shannon! 😀
    (And I now have a craving for diet coke and I never even drink it! See what an influence you are!)

8. SeaBird says:

Hello – Just wanted to let you know I voted for you in the Weblog competition. I’ve enjoyed participating in your WFMW. And I assume by one of your favorite links that you also go to a PCA church – ? Keep it up! (the good writing, that is…. but also the church-going – haha!) SeaBird

9. Allyson says:

Not surprised at all. I’m always giddy when my little blog reader extension thingy tells me that you’ve updated. I’ve voted, and I hope you get the recognition you definitely deserve!