A Little Blue

December 26th always finds me battling melancholy.

After about five days of magic, the Real World comes roaring back in.  I come down off my sugar high to find that my pants are a little tighter and my counters are sticky.  There are piles of toys pushed against walls, and I have no idea where they will live.  The children have that glazed look of overconsumption.  Somewhere, under all these stray bits of wrapping paper, I think I might have carpet.

My family is back at their respective homes.  Hubs is back at work.  I turned on the news just now for the first time in five days, and they’re still fighting in the Middle East and hollering in Washington D.C.  My city’s parking lots, which yesterday had a breather from the crushing weight of holiday traffic, are once again bursting at the seams with shoppers waving gift cards.

And I’m a little blue.

I want to shout at the world to Go Back!  Life stopped momentarily, all because of a tiny little baby in a dirty barn.  I want to stop and think about that a little longer.  Do we really, really have to return to Life As Usual?

We do. Of course we do.  Life marches on.  The Gift of Christmas requires it.  I could curl up in my new Christmas jammies and mourn the passing of the magic, or I could roll up my sleeves and jump back into a world that is still hurting, still confused, even after tasting the Holy.

Come on.  Let’s jump back in.

31 thoughts on “A Little Blue

1. veronica says:

At our house, we celebrate all twelve days of Christmas from Dec 25 to January 5. It makes the season feel more holy and less rushed and stressful. I am doing a special Christmas post for each of the Twelve Days, so stop by if you would like to hang on to the holiday part of Christmas a little longer.
    I hope your holiday celebration energizes you for the normal and ordinary.

2. Blessed Assurances says:

I have to say-I am fighting the post Christmas blues myself. My sister pulled out the after-Christmas sale ads last night and I couldn’t believe that it is over-really over. I don’t want to go back to the way things were. I want to continue celebrating the birth of Jesus. I believe that is the blessing from being a Christian-it’s not a day but a state of mind. Hope you have a wonderful New Year! I am off to catch the last of whatever may still be out there to snatch up!

3. Rach says:

Thank you for this, Shannon. You express what I am having trouble expressing today. πŸ™‚ A walk to Target and a bite to eat at Chic-fil-a with Lucy helped…but the melancholy is still there! πŸ™‚

4. Valerie says:

Feeling that way over here, too…What was supposed to be a restful vacation I feel like I need a vacation to get rested from… Terrible grammar but I hope it made sense.
    I’m jumping in with you!

5. Diane says:

I woke up feeling exactly the same way. You post is relevant! And poignant! Although–I’m not sure I could prepare for eight days…..of festivities–I might need a years warning.
    The Christmas blues are second only to a daughter’s wedding blues! After my daughter’s wedding in August of ’06….it took a couple of months to get back at it with full force. Life goes on–whether we want it to or not–so, you’re right–it’s best to jump back in and make the most of each day.
    Diane

6. Marisa says:

Hi! I love your blog! πŸ™‚ I just found it and am still reading – a lot of worth while info! πŸ™‚
    My kids just said that they wish they could celebrate Christmas EVERY day! We reminded them that they could celebrate Jesus’ birth every day – just don’t expect all of the gifts! πŸ™‚

7. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings says:

Our pastor asked us Christmas Eve morning…”are you going to be as happy on the 26th as you are today? If you are, then you’ve ‘got’ it! You’ve got His joy which last beyond the moment.”
    Easy to say, easy to agree with on the 24th, but hard to live on the 26th.

8. Janean says:

WOW! nice to know I’m not alone in feeling “blue” lately.
    I don’t think I’m jumping back in, though.
    More like “dragged kicking and screaming”. πŸ˜€

9. Kara says:

I have the same feelings after Christmas is over. It feels so weird to just jump back into normal life after all that excitement built up.

10. Susie says:

You’re more brave (or is that braver?) than I, my friend. I’m still waiting for the inevitable kick in the back end that will come with realizing that 2007 is 365 days (give or take a few) of Life As Usual.

11. Vicki says:

Ah, yes, I know exactly what you mean. But for some reason, I’m not feeling that let-down this time…still savoring and pondering. Blessings to you and your sweet family!

12. D says:

I am not having any letdown this year, but I’ve sure had it in the past. I think that this was one of our most enjoyable Christmas’s in years and I’ve just been left with a deep peace. It’s been a long journey to get to this place though so I’m trying to accept it now instead of looking for something more. I hope you’ll feel brighter soon! your new look is so pretty – do you design yourself?

13. becky says:

Hi, I understand what you’re saying. Someone at work handed this out and I thought you might like it … even if angles don’t sing πŸ˜‰
    “The Work of Christmas”
    When the song of the angels is stilled,
    When the star in the sky is gone,
    When the kings and prices are home,
    When the shepherds are back with their flock,
    The work of Christmas begins:
    To find the lost,
    To heal the broken,
    To feed the hungry,
    to release the prisoner,
    To rebuild the nations,
    TO bring peace among brothers,
    TO make music in the heart,
    ~Howard Thruman

14. corina Bowen says:

I know what you mean– Kinda glad that I don’t have a thousand to-do lists running thru my head now though! Actually now that I think about it… I haven’t had much brain activity since Christmas dinner. Somewhere in the sink of dishwater my brain turned to mush…. I am looking forward to seeing opportunities to bless people throughout the year.

15. Amy says:

I am fighting the Christmas blues and I came down with a nasty case of stomach flu the day following Christmas Day. Talk about a let down! UGH!

16. Kim (MercyDays) says:

I hear ya. The sight of those empty Christmas tubs waiting to be filled make me want to vomit. It’s kinda like they are taunting me! “You just got all that *stuff* out and now you gotta put it all back!”
    I have been a reader/fan of your blog for a while. I have laughed (snorted) out loud on several occasions!!!
    Blessings!

17. Christine says:

I’m sorry you’re so blue! We worked up to midnight on Christmas Eve (music and arts directors in the church) so our vacation just began. I hope you can retain a bit of the magic of Jesus’ birth even as you wipe down the countertops and pick up the wrapping paper!

18. mimi2six says:

I feel that same way every year. I love Christmas and always go into the season with good intentions of “savoring” it with gentleness and quietness. However, the demands of the shopping, scheduling, etc. keep me hopping each day and evening. Then the events of the actual day, though wonderful and fun, are full and busy. By the time I am in a position to just savor….it’s gone! I think that’s why it’s always hard for me to take down the Christmas decorations in my house. I’m never ready to leave all the beauty of it.

19. Chrissy says:

I’m not blue yet. We have a family trip over New Year’s and I suspect it will come after that, after my babies go back to school and I’m once again rattling around this big ole house all. by. myself.

20. Ranee Mueller says:

No need to jump back in to a non Christmas daily living, you are still in the 12 days of Christmas! πŸ™‚ Traditionally, the church season for Christmas doesn’t end on Christmas day, but begins then. That’s where the whole 12 days of Christmas thing comes from.
    Maybe we need to move Christmas from being just one day to more of an eight-day event like Hannukah? πŸ™‚
    Michelle, it isn’t just eight days, it is 12 days!
    And, the angels do sing, Becky.
    So, Jesus is Born! Glorify Him!