Don’t Laugh, I Saw It In a Magazine

I know, I know…for someone on a bloggy break, I’m sure posting a lot, right?  Moving right along…

Wanted to show you this centerpiece I made for a New Year’s Eve get-together we’re having here with friends (notice I didn’t call it a party.  Real New Year’s Eve parties involve cleaning your house and having no children present.  These are the kind of friends who don’t mind stepping over all the toys you have yet to find a home for, and they all bring their kids, because who in the heck can find a babysitter on New Year’s Eve?)

Anyway, I saw this in a magazine and decided to try it.  The concept is great, but the reality?  It’s either very cute or it looks like something my second grader made in art class–I can’t quite decide.  Still, it’s a nice attempt at being festive.  In case you’re wondering, that’s tinsel (on clearance!) in the glass vase, and craft foam (with a cardstock backing) sprayed down with glitter for the stars and numbers.  I’ll have it on a sparkly red tablecloth.

And honest-to-gosh, when I was drawing the numbers I was wondering to myself how on earth I was going to draw an even "8", until I remembered that we’re coming up on, in fact, 2007, not 2008.  And no, I wasn’t even dipping into the champagne a little early.

* * * * * * * * * * *

If you haven’t read the post directly below this one, please do, and go help a good cause.

Happy new year, y’all!

31 thoughts on “Don’t Laugh, I Saw It In a Magazine

1. Karen says:

Cute centerpiece! I hope you have a fun New Year’s gathering!
    I’ll be at my 87 year-old grandmother’s house (Grandpa -91- just passed away Dec. 3) with my kids, brother & fiancee, and nieces. My hubby will be home on the 2nd. Anyway, I suppose it will be a New Year’s unlike any other I’ve celebrated…
    Enjoy yours!

2. J. Fergie says:

It looks great! I can’t believe that you cut those numbers out yourself – they look perfect. The NYE get-together is a good idea – this way you still get to celebrate (with grownups) but you don’t have to worry about babysitters/getting home early, etc. Have a fabulous time!!

3. boomama says:

OH LORDY you’re crafty. In fact, I think I will begin referring to you as O’Shanny McCrafterson.
    Love your new look, by the way. And if it’s been up for a week or so, please don’t hate me for not mentioning it earlier. I’ve been disturbingly reliant on Bloglines over the holiday season.
    Happy New Year!

4. Mich says:

In case I forget, Happy New Year my friend! It’s hard to believe it’s going to be 2007…where has the time gone. Loved your Christmas Card and love the new look on the Blog.

5. Big Mama says:

That is so festive! Will this get together actually involve seeing midnight because I can assure you that I won’t see 2007 until the crack of dawn the next morning when sadly, I’ll be up for the day.

6. nicole says:

Very festive. Your guests should be honored that you took the time to make such a centerpiece.
    We are managing a kids-free NYE this year, but that is rare and some of us are sharing sitters. Usually we do like you and just get together kids and all, and suffer thru till midnight, and then leave at 12:05 wondering why we even tried to stay up that late. Not so this year. We’re doing the same thing we do every year, just kid-free.
    Happy New Year!

7. Amy says:

No, it doesn’t look like a 2nd grader did it at all! Very festive~I like it!
    Happy New Year!!!!
    Off to post another comment at Pass The Torch!!

8. laura says:

i’m not laughing. i think it is very cute and clever.
    we are having our 3rd annual new year’s PARTY which is a family affair as families with children from the neighborhood, church and dear old friends do come. it is very casual with something going on in practically every room of the house and outside on the patio with our fire bowl warming the area. my husband and i are musicians and have many musically inclined friends so it often involves impromtu sessions. every year it has been all ages from 1 to 92 and one and all have lots of fun.

9. proverbs31 says:

LOL! I can’t decide either. I think I’m leaning towards cute.
    I understand about the ‘gathering’ — we’re having a ‘gathering’ as well. 🙂

10. Jane says:

It’s fun and festive. A simple concept. Maybe second graders would have a hard time, but I think my fourth graders could, and actually might make some version of it on the first day back to school. Hmmm.

11. Becky says:

I love it…it looks great! I may just have to steal the idea for my New Year’s get-together. We are in the same boat with only our friends with kids coming over! Have a blessed New Year!

12. Jennifer, Snapshot says:

Hey, that’s exactly the kind of “party” I’m having tonight, too. A few friends, and more kids than adults. I always say it’s a completely no pressure sort of evening–no pressure to commit to come, no pressure to stay until midnight–just come. I think that most will stay until the kids interfere with their ability to have fun.
    Happy New Year.