Who Needs Cardio When You Have Jack Bauer?

I forgot to mention earlier that the biggest part of my 2007 weight-loss plan is FINALLY to join with the rest of America and begin watching 24.  Hubs and I rented the first season on DVD and began watching it over the holidays.

OH. MY. WORD.  That has to be the most intense television ever made.  I remarked to Hubs that we can sit on the couch and watch this show and have our heartrate elevated to cardio levels.  Seriously

Feel free to leave a comment if you’re a 24-lover, but don’t you dare give anything away.  We’re only on season one, episode nine!

Posted in: Fun

43 thoughts on “Who Needs Cardio When You Have Jack Bauer?

1. boomama says:

Girl.
    GIRRRRRRRL.
    I am a MAJOR 24 fan. It brings me deep and abiding joy that the season premiere is coming up. And I’m a little jealous that you have so much delicious 24 goodness ahead of you. I feel like I need to congratulate you or something.
    We will have MUCH to discuss once you get through all the seasons.

2. Mommy Dearest says:

We LOVE 24! The first season was the best (although I think last season won the most awards). You’re watching it the best way. It’s awesome to be able to just start the next episode instead of waiting a week!

3. Tricia says:

I also LOVE 24. I started watching 24 in the middle of last season. My husband was always going on about it and I didn’t see what the big deal was. Then I watched one episode, and then another, and another. Then of course I had to watch all the episodes. I am SO excited that the new season is starting soon:)

4. beth says:

All I’m going to say is just skip season 3. You won’t miss it and, wow, it was a snoozefest. (Which is saying something cause I adore 24, but season 3, oy.)

5. Kelli says:

My hubby wont watch it why it is on TV because enevitably he misses a show and loses his place, so as soon as it is on DVD(and by that I mean the day it comes out) he has to go get and then I lose him for several days.

6. HeatherW says:

This has nothing to do with this particular post. But I’m so excited because I noticed that your visitor ticker was on 268,999. So I quickly got off and back on to see the cool 269,000. I must have no life, because that really made me happy! 🙂

7. Jenny in Ca says:

oohh Shannon!, so, you have joined the 24 club! Everyone in my husband’s large family has been raving about this for a year or two…we don’t watch t.v., but do rent things now and then. I have resisted only because it did sound mighty riviting and good..and I just don’t want to invest the time.
    I am sure we will succumb eventually.
    you are probably right about your heart rate, do a few arm curls while changing discs and I think you will be on your way-fitness wise.
    My favorite exercise involves chocolate and yoga together. You could probaly do this infront of the set… Very zen.
    happy new year!
    Jenny in Ca

8. Chris says:

We’re on episode 3, Season 4.
    Hubby and I have to wait to watch until the kiddies are in bed.
    Tempting to hire a full-time nanny for the next couple o’days.

9. J. Fergie says:

hubby and i are totally hooked on 24! we started watching during season 2. wait until you catch up — you’re sure to lose AT LEAST 10lbs!

10. Tracy says:

Okay, I was anti-24 for awhile just because “everyone was doing it” and I thought no way can it be that good. My husband was flat on his back bedridden this summer and mother in law brought season 1, 2, AND 3 to us. LOVE IT!!! We rented season 4 and then bought season 5 for the mother in law for Christmas- just so we could borrow it!

11. Terri says:

I had to laugh when I read this today. I am a MAJOR 24 FAN! Our college-age son kept telling us about this show that we just had to watch. A couple of years ago over Christmas break, he brought home seasons 1 & 2. My husband and I started watching season #1 and got seriously hooked! We would watch one and say, “OK, just 1 more”. Forty minutes later, “just 1 more” until it would be 2:00 in the morning and we had watched 5 of them. I love the show and am looking forward to the new season. But beware, every season has been as suspenseful as the first one. This last season, I think, was the toughest.

12. Jennifer, Snapshot says:

Shannon–my hubby and I did the same thing about a year a half ago! We have completed the first four seasons. I totally agree that it’s heart-thumping good fun! It has replaced much of our movie rentals, but if you are Netflixing, it’s so convenient, because you never have to wait for the next one.
    A word of advice–I have friends who did the same, and tried to watch the current season along with old DVDs and they got confused. My dh refuses to watch it “real time.” Too much stress and waiting. It’s so much better to be able to watch 2 or 3 back to back.
    Also, after finishing a season, he always has to take some time off to let his heartrate return to normal before diving into another season.
    Enjoy!

13. Barbara H. says:

I disagree with the commenter who said skip season 3. That’s when we started watching, and we were hooked. We then rented Seasons 1 and 2 and watched them in marathons (had to get the DVDs back on time, right? 🙂 ) It’s hard not to keep watching when the next episode is RIGHT THERE and you’re dying to see what happens next. But it is very, very intense watching several episodes together like that.
    Welcome to the 24 addiction — er, I mean bandwagon. 😀

14. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) says:

Oh yes ma’am, we’re fans in the Fiddle household. At one point, I was watching something like 3 seasons simultaneously. One was the current season, and I was catching up with seasons 1 and 2 on TNN on Saturday and Sunday. It was VERY confusing, and I believe my blood pressure stayed high through the weekend. Every weekend.
    I wait with breathless anticipation for the start of the new season. I started to hyperventilate just typing this.

15. Lindsey says:

Oooo, 24! You will LOVE it! I’m addicted – I watch the show when it’s on, and then once it comes out on DVD I watch the whole thing back to back with my mom! Enjoy!!!

16. Big Mama says:

Let me just tell you that while we were watching the Fiesta Bowl last night the commercial for 24 came on and I actually sat up and squealed when I saw Jack Bauer. That is how much I love him.
    You have no idea how many nights you will stay up way too late watching “just one more” because you have GOT to see what happens next.

17. Wendy says:

OH yes…24 is one of the best shows on TV. My husband and I never miss an episode. You must suspend reality; but it is well worth the ride!

18. edj says:

I dunno Shan. Your sleep life, marital life, and quality time with children will basically disappear for the next few weeks. Every night you will say, “Ok we’ll just watch one” and then you will say, “Well with the commercials gone it’s really only 40 min so we’ll watch one more” and you will watch 3 more and go to bed at 2:30 a.m. and the next day you will be bleary and grumpy all day until the kids are in bed and you’re starting the next show, but you will repeat the previous night’s performance until you have finished the entire season. Don’t say I didn’t warn you! I hate that show.
    I leave you with this thought: Jack Bauer could have gotten the ring to Mordor within 24 hours.

19. Momma2E says:

I’m de-lurking here because 24 is a favorite in our house. We started watching Season 4 (thanks to my hubs) and then *had* to go back to watch the first 3. We moved for hubs’s work in 2005, and thanks to Netflix and 2.5 weeks before he started his new job we watched all 3 seasons in less than a month. Those who refer to this as “addiction” are right on, we would watch at least a full disc (4 episodes) per day. Fortunately, we were in a new place and didn’t know anyone or our friendships definitely would have suffered! 🙂
    Maybe eating celery sticks while watching will help with the weight-loss goal? They contain less calories than it takes to eat and digest them, and it would give you something to chew in the suspenseful parts instead of your nails!
    Enjoy!

20. keri says:

my hubby and i laugh that we actually try and go to bed after watching 24. how can you sleep after watching such intense television? my stomach always hurts after watching it b/c i’m so tense. but we LOVE it!! we just finished watching season 1 and we are about to start season 2.

21. Karly Campbell says:

Where have I been??? I’ve never seen this show! Or even really heard about it. What is wrong with me? I’m going to have to go rent it now and try to catch up.

22. Kahri says:

My hubby and I rented season one and season two a few years ago! I loved it! But we had to quit before season 3 because I think I was getting too much exercise! LOL

23. AmyBeth says:

24 ROCKS!
    I can watch ‘ole Jack all day long!
    After you get caught up on that you need to watch LOST.
    BTW< I love you new template. Snowpeople are so cute!

24. not-so-deep Denise says:

I’ve said it’s like a great book you can’t put down – just one more chapter. We’ve always watched it on the TV and you only get one show. It’s doable.
    And, yes, it can only be watched AFTER the kids go to bed.

25. Aunt Murry says:

My 70 year old mother is the one who got me hooked 5 years ago. All I can say… Hubba Hubba. I love me some Keifer.
    it’s so cute…She will call me during the commercials to discuss the show…we live 4 miles apart.

26. Kelli says:

#1 on the DVR baby!!! Welcome to the addiction – Oh. My. Word. The ONLY show that everyone in the house stops dead for whether it’s new, re-rerun or marathon.
    Say goodbye to your life- it’s OVER!!

27. dcrmom says:

Oh, we’re in the middle of watching Season IV. Or is it V? I can’t remember. The last one. We buy the DVD set every year and watch the series in its entirety in less than a week. It is sooooo addicting, and it never disappoints. A little too much gratuitous violence for my tastes, but if you watch it with a sense of humor, it’s really quite enjoyable! And, yes, intense. For sure!

28. Gayle says:

Oh golly, be prepared to stay up till one in the morning finishing that disc. I think, now it’s just an idea, but maybe you can sorta cancel out the anxiety by drinking a cup of chamomile tea while you watch it. Just a thought! 🙂
    Gayle

29. melissa says:

oh you’re gonna be hooked! i can’t wait for the new season. we netflixed all the old ones and i hate that it’s all over. i can never watch just one either. i’ll have to dvr all the new ones and watch about 3 at a time.

30. Megan says:

We’re in that club too. We watched seasons 1 and 2 in their entirety on Christmas break just a month before season 3 started and have been hooked from the first hour…

31. Karen says:

My husband downloaded the last season and we’re watching it on his computer after the kids go to bed. It’s great this way. I’ve never watched it on actual TV. Don’t think I could put up with commercials and having to wait a week between episodes.
    My husband and I have developed several “inside” jokes relating to 24. There’s even a guy at our church who reminds us of Jack. Hope he doesn’t notice that we chuckle whenever we see him, and develop some sort of complex!

32. Lori says:

Scott and I started watching 24 a few seasons after it started. We were hooked. We like the fast pace and love the fact that they typically give you 4 hours right out of the gate to get you hooked. Renting previous seasons was a must as there were many references to people and events from prior seasons… so don’t skip any.
    I agree with a previous commentor on watching it concurrently with the current season. It can get a bit confusing… so if you are able, kick it into high gear to finish before the new season starts 🙂