Works For Me: A Big Box of Kleenex and a Sudafed Cocktail

I’m down with a nasty cold today and am a little too Sudafed-drunk to think of a clever tip to share.  So I’ll pass today, but please, share your own WFMW tips below.  Any tips on how to kick a cold to the curb would be much appreciated.

WFMW guidelines can be found here.

Note:  I’ve been told that some of you are having trouble viewing the Mr. Linky columns properly.  If you’re having this problem, just leave a comment and let me know.  I’ll try to get it figured out.  Thanks.

54 thoughts on “Works For Me: A Big Box of Kleenex and a Sudafed Cocktail

1. Overwhelmed! says:

Shannon, so sorry to hear that you’re down with a nasty cold. I had one for over 2 weeks but luckily got over it before Christmas. I hope you’re feeling better soon!
    Thanks for still doing a WFMW post for us to share our ideas on. 🙂

2. Laura says:

Oh that is no good. Get well soon. I wish I had some great trick for you but I don’t other than go to bed and cover up your head although with four kids good luck with that!
    Laura

3. Barbara H. says:

Hmm — my link was there, I thought, but now it is gone, and when I hit “enter” again on Mr. Linky it doesn’t show up. I’ll check it in the morning and retry if it is still not showing.

4. Kelly says:

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. I’m right there with you-we would be Sudafed-drinking buddies. It’s what’s working for me, too.

5. An Ordinary Mom says:

Airborne helped prevent me from getting sick when I was home for the holidays and everyone and their pet dog around me was sick. However, once you are sick, I don’t know how well it works.
    One thing that always works for me when I have a sore throat is I mince a clove of garlic and take about 1/3 of a clove every few hours. Just make sure you swig it with lots of fluids. Within 24 hours my sore throat is normally gone.
    Get better soon!

6. amanda says:

I can see all of 1-12 and only the numbers for 13-22.
    I wonder what’s up. . . . hmmm.
    I start taking Zicam and Vitamin C as soon as I feel a tickle in my throat–it usualy shortens the severity and length of my “common colds.” Hope you feel better soon!!

7. amanda says:

My guess is that maybe the Linky links are being pushed to the side because of the graphic.
    If your text was just a wee bit longer (or your graphic just a wee bit smaller), maybe the Linky links would line up better. Because in your other posts the grapic and text do not end at the same place (of the text just slightly ending ahead of the graphic) AND in your other posts Mr. Linky looks just fine.
    So, I am guessing the graphic and Mr. Linky are fighting for space and the graphic is winning by pushing Linky sir out of the way.

8. amblin says:

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear you are sick. I had a cold for 2 weeks just before Christmas. I don’t have any great tips, other than lots of Vitamin C, and lots of rest.
    Oh and I do like those SudaCare shower things. You put them on the floor of your shower while taking a hot shower and they release lovely mist that helps clear congestion. I used quite a bit of those!

9. Jennifer, Snapshot says:

Get well soon.
    Yes, the second column is under the sidebar. Maybe the logo is throwing off the alignment, because it looks like it’s holding that spot on the far left where the Linky would usually start.

10. MamaDuck says:

Yes, the second column is hiding under the sidebar here too, ick. Sorry about your cold, our whole family is sick too, icky. Lots of hot baths with the vapobath stuff ;).

11. Avanna says:

Not sure if you like Hot Tea or not, personally I used to not be a fan, BUT Traditional Medicinals has a tea that keeps me from getting yucky and helps it go away when I do get it. It’s called Echinacea Plus. The box has some purple on it. It’s about $4 and I’m almost positive that Kroger grocery store carries it. It’s a staple here!

12. Pass the Torch says:

I hope you’re feeling better soon! I almost Mr. Linkied my post about C’s birthday today.
    I was going to call it, “Skipping contractions — NOT!!”
    But it didn’t work for me (hehehe), so I figured that wouldn’t be kosher to include it;)))))
    Have a great day!

13. Elisa says:

Yes, I’m not seeing the right column, too. It is under your side bar. I’m using the latest version of Firefox. I’ve checked in Safari and Netscape, and the page comes up just fine there. Hmmm. Hope that info helps. Will pray for you to feel better soon, too!
    Elisa

14. Heather says:

Hope you’re feeling better soon. You did give a tip, though. I need to stock up on my sudafed and Kleenex before we get it here. :o)

15. Amy says:

I’m sorry you are feeling bad, Shannon! My daughter has the same thing and we were in the waiting room forever because everyone & their mother seems to be sick right now. I hope you kick that cold fast!

16. Melanie says:

Zinc lozenges! I’m scared of that Zicam stuff after what I’ve read about it lately, but the lozenges work wonders.
    Feel better soon!

17. Becky says:

Hope you are feeling better soon!!! Not such a great way to start the New Year, huh? 😦 I always make sure to drink a lot of OJ and plenty of rest when I have a cold. Hard to get rest when you have small children, but I usually just take them in the bedroom with me and watch movies and read books! Can’t wait to find out this super big news tomorrow! 🙂

18. Big Mama says:

Get those Sudacare wall plug-ins that make your whole room smell delightfully of mentholyptus. They work.
    And then just stay in bed, watch T.V. and have people bring you food. Oh yeah, you’re a mom…it’s never going to happen.

19. Milehimama says:

Here’s how I kick colds. Since I started doing this, I’ve only had them last 2-3 days tops.
    Echinacea 6 capsules/day (2 am, 2 lunch, 2 pm)
    Vit. C same amount
    You can get these ANYWHERE – W*Mart, grocery store, etc.
    Red Zinger (Celestial Seasonings) tea with honey (Red Zinger is full of Vit. C, and tastes very lemony but doesn’t have lemon in it and won’t give you diarrhea) 3-4 cups a day, the hot feels good on the throat!
    A lot of people I know swear by Traditional Medicinals ThroatCoat tea or kid’s Organic Cold Care tes- it feels good on the throat, but I haven’t noticed it makes us heal faster.
    Isn’t 12 hour Sudafed the BEST thing?

20. Pam at Terrific Teens says:

I have just discovered Cold Eze lozengers that you take every 2 hours till sysmptoms subside and I read that if you put hydrogen peroxide in your ears (a few drops) at the first signs of a cold of flu the symptoms will go away. Hope it works for you! Get better! I love Works for me Wednesday!

21. amanda says:

you fixed it. by getting rid of the cute logo for this post, mr. linky is once again in place. 🙂
    again, hope you feel better soon!!

22. Dawn says:

Cold-FX is my favorite thing for colds, although I think it works better if you start taking it at the first sign you’re getting sick. Hope you feel better soon!

23. April says:

So sorry you aren’t feeling good.
    I think this is only about my second time posting on your blog but I must say, it’s one of my favorites.
    Hope you are feeling better soon.

24. Jessica says:

Hope you feel better! I’ve been reading for awhile, and I just posted a tip for the first time. Thanks for hosting; I always enjoy reading!
    -Jessica

25. Azul says:

Hope the cold goes away soon! Also, if you don’t already use it, I swear by Airborne for shortening the duration of colds. Shoot, I should’ve used that as my Works-For-Me this week! Oh well.

26. Gayle says:

I’ve been stalking your blog for a while and decided to join in. Hope you feel better soon, and yep, Airborne is the way to go!
    Gayle

27. J. Fergie says:

Feel better soon! I’m under the weather myself so I’m off to bed. Oh, and sorry about the double comment — I forgot to put my subject in the first one [blame it on “mommy brain”]

28. jen says:

As always thank you for hosting this…I always sit down at nap time and go over each one…and find several things i didnt know….You really do make a difference by hosting this…thanks.