Works For Me: Eating Well

Wfmwheader_6 I’ve told you that I’m trying to shed a few pounds this year, as is my Hubs, and I confess that I don’t know much about healthy cooking.  I’m from the South–we dip it in butter, roll it in white flour, and fry the heck out of it.  And then we cover it in cheese.

So, I’m counting on you to share some healthy recipes with us all, in this themed edition of Works-For-Me Wednesday: Eating Well.

My tip?  It’s not exactly a recipe, but it’s working for me right now.  I take a whole-wheat pita, cut it in half, and cut it in strips.  I heat it in the microwave (or oven, if you want it crispy) until warm.  When it comes out, I spray with it with canola cooking spray and sprinkle dry ranch dressing mix on it.  It sort of feels like I’m eating chips, or bread.  Sort of.  If you’re doing Weight Watchers, this is only 1 point (if you use half a pita).

For more recipes, Christy at The Abundant Life has started an eating healthy carnival, which I will be checking often for good ideas–you should too!  You can read about her idea here.  Also, my good friend MomRN2 is launching a new site today called Motivation Moments–it’s all about exercise and healthy living.  Go check it out!

Please, share your healthy recipes with all of Bloggityville below!  WFMW guidelines can be found here.  If you don’t have a blog, please share your recipe in my comments section!

63 thoughts on “Works For Me: Eating Well

1. Southern Girl says:

I can’t wait to come back tomorrow and check out all the great recipes! I’m trying to lose the last 12 lbs to reach my Weight Watchers goal, so I’m always up for great, healthy recipes. Thanks for thinking of this, Shannon!

2. Pam says:

Wow that took me by surprise! I am a working mom so I have my weeks worth of blogs ready to go. Mine was all about my favorite tweezers! Thank you so much for the delete function! Anyway, I rallied and got my healthy recipe in. Thanks so much for this wonderful meme!

3. The Wooden Porch says:

Are you doing weight watchers? That’s how I lost my weight. I didn’t join, I just found one of their books. Their recipes in the booklet were pretty bland. My cooking blog has lots of WW points in the recipe title.

4. MCMilker says:

Weight Watchers is the best! I lost 20 pounds, 25 years ago in my teens and jump back on the bandwagon every few years when I need to lose some of those same 20 again! good luck! Great recipe!

5. Overwhelmed! says:

I love recipe exchanges, which is why I host one every Friday.
    I’m excited to be getting lots of HEALTHY recipe ideas from this week’s WFMW. Thanks for thinking of this!

6. Susan G. says:

This recipe was created by my wonderful mother in law to feed her six kids. It is healthy and easy! (Plus my kids love it!)
    Taco Casserole – Serves 6
    1½ lbs. LEAN hamburger (uncooked)
    1 cup uncooked rice (do not use brown rice)
    ½ cup chopped onion
    2 T. cumin
    1 T. salt
    1 T. chili powder (or 1 package of taco seasonings instead of the spices)
    28 oz can crushed tomatoes
    Water
    1.Place crumbled raw hamburger, rice and onion in a large shallow pan or casserole dish.
    2.Sprinkle seasonings over all.
    3.Pour tomatoes over everything. Then fill the tomato can ¾ of the way with water and pour over the tomatoes.
    4.Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
    Serve with shredded cheese and corn chips (go easy on these to keep it healthy!) and a salad on the side. My kids like the scoop chips so they can just scoop up the casserole with the chips
    Enjoy!
    Susan G

7. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) says:

I make chips out of whole wheat pitas also. I spray them lightly with canolo spray first, lighly salt and add a little garlic powder, Cut them into wedges, then bake at 375 for about 10 minutes.
    I love your description of southern cooking. I know it well. You forgot to add a fistfull of cruched up potato chips to the top. High cholesterol heaven!

8. Elisa (The Laundry Alternative) says:

Thanks, again, for hosting WFMW with such a focused theme. I need all the healthy eating tips I can get, since I’m a pretty picky eater, love carbs and despise veggies, although I choke them down.
    Honestly, I can’t plug Abs Diet enough! It is the only thing that has worked long-term for me, and I don’t feel like I am on a diet! Whoo-hoo!
    Here’s to losing those pounds!!!

9. Mrs. C says:

This week’s theme is a great idea! I’m looking forward to reading all the tips; although, sitting at the computer is not in keeping with my goal to keep movin’!

10. pamela says:

Shannon, wonderful idea here. I am looking forward to getting a some healthy recipes too. My MIL is a life time member with Weight Watchers and has maintained her 127 Lb goal weight for two years now. She still attends the meetings (free of charge ~ as a life member) faithfully every week and walks everyday. 🙂

11. Kelly W says:

I will have to try that for my hubby! He loves ranch-flavored anything. Thanks for hosting– I am looking forward to putting some of this yumminess on next month’s menu.

12. jen says:

Well, I have read them all like I do every week….got some great tips..thanks for doing this again….great idea…..as Valentines Day gets closer I wonder if people would give any ideas on parties, decor, gifts, recipes, ect??????HMMMMMM

13. Becky says:

Ok, so I got nothin’! I did post a link to this today because I think we could all benefit (especially me) from eating well. I, too, am a southerner and cook practically everything in butter…mmmmm, butter! Anyway, I can’t wait to check out all the healthy recipes. Your *chips* sound delicious, too!!!

14. Chris says:

We love mexican food. I posted a great recipe for a Chile Relleno casserole which can even be made up in the morning and put in the oven later. Even with the low fat cheese it is still full of flavor. And the best is my kids eat it up.
    Thanks for hosting!

15. qtpies7 says:

I posted my first WFMW post! I’ll be checking out all the great tips, I need them over here! Now if I could just get my 3yo to eat anything at all…….

16. KimC says:

Healthy recipes? I got nuthin’.
    In fact, I’ll be posting our 3 warm winter drink recipes today. Maybe I should name the post, How To Start Your Kids’ Day With Even More Sugar.
    And the butter/flour/fry/cheese process? I’m right there with you. Even my Yankee-born father raised us saying, “A meal without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze.”
    Diet tip: chocolate chips. A tablespoon of semisweet chocolate straight from the bag will keep you from eating 400 calories of alternative energy sources.

17. stephanie says:

I can’t wait to get online tonight and read everyone’s posts. This was a brilliant idea. (And themed weeks are so much easier for me to come up with ideas!) 🙂

18. J. Fergie says:

Great idea Shannon! And I’m on WW too so this will come in handy. I like your pita recipe — have you tried sprinkling with cinnamon and brown sugar for a sweet snack?

19. lisa h. says:

I make all these and they are great! Some you may need to leave out the chips, sour cream, or cheese, but they are still good.
    Citrus Baked Halibut
    1 pound fresh or frozen halibut steaks, 3/4 inch thick
    1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
    a cup finely chopped onion (1 small)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 Tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peal
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    cteaspoon pepper
    ¼ cup orange juice
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 4 serving-size pieces, if necessary. Arrange in a 2-quart square baking dish.
    In a small saucepan melt margarine; add onion and garlic. Cook till tender; remove from heat. Stir in parsley, orange peel, salt and pepper; spoon over fish. Sprinkle orange and lemon juices over fish. Bake, covered, in a 400 oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Spoon pan juices over fish. Makes 4 servings.
    Calabactas
    4-6 zucchini, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 medium tomato, chopped
    1 cup corn
    Monterey Jack cheese
    Tortillas
    Pepper & Salt
    Sauté onion and zucchini until onion is clear. Drain. Lower heat and add corn and tomato. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. Add cheese to taste and allow to melt. Add mixture to a warmed tortilla. Also great as a dip with tortilla chips.
    Shrimp Creole
    Olive oil
    1 small onion
    1 clove garlic, sliced
    ½ cup chopped green bell pepper (optional)
    2-3 bay leaves
    Tabasco Sauce
    Dash of: oregano, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper
    1 large can whole tomatoes, 28 ounces (processed in blender)
    1 small can tomato paste, 6 ounces
    1 pound shrimp (peeled & de-veined)
    Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil; add spices including a dash of Tabasco and cook 5 to 10 minutes, until softened. Next add tomatoes and tomato paste, mix well. Simmer slowly for 45 minutes with lid on, stirring occasionally. Then add shrimp and simmer with cover on 10 minutes, or until shrimp is pink. Serve over rice. May add more Tabasco for spice.
    Zippy Black Bean Burritos
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 chopped green bell pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 can diced tomatoes, drained
    1 can green chilies
    1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
    Shredded cheddar cheese
    Flour Tortillas
    Heat oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Add bell pepper, cumin, oregano, and garlic; cook 3 minutes stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium and cook 10 minutes. Stir in beans; cook 5 minutes or until heated through.
    Warm tortillas, and spoon ½ cup bean mixture and some cheese in center of each.
    Lamb Vegetable Stew
    1 pound boneless lamb, cut in 1 inch cubes (ask the butcher at the store to cut up a leg of lamb in chuncks for you)
    2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3 Tablespoons cooking oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 bay leaf
    ½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed
    ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    2 ½ cups water
    1 ½ teaspoons salt
    c teaspoon pepper
    4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
    3 carrots, cut in ¾ inch pieces
    2 onions, cut in eighths
    1 tomato
    Coat lamb with flour. In heavy 3 quart saucepan brown the lamb, half at a time, in hot oil. Drain. Add garlic, bay leaf, basil, thyme, water, salt, and pepper. Simmer covered, 30 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots, and onions; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Peel tomato, cut into 6 wedges. Add to stew; cook, covered, to heat through (2 to 3 minutes). Remove bay leaf. Serves 4.
    Bean , Corn, & Tortilla Salad
    1 can (15.5 ounce) pinto beans, drained & rinsed
    2 cups (10 ounces) frozen kernel corn
    ¼ cup prepared medium tomato salsa, plus more for serving
    1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced (1 cup)
    1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
    3 plum tomatoes, thickly sliced
    Course salt and ground pepper
    1 (12 ounce) romaine hearts, cut into small pieces
    3 cups (3 ounces) broken baked tortilla chips
    ¾ cup coarsely grated pepper Jack cheese
    In a medium microwave safe bowl combine beans, corn, and salsa. Microwave just until warmed through, about 1 minute. Stir in scallions, avocado, and tomatoes; season with salt and pepper. Set bean mixture aside.
    In a large bowl toss lettuce and chips together. Divide evenly among plates; top with bean mixture and cheese. Serve immediately, topped with additional

20. Q&Q says:

My WFMW is not about food but in losing weight with your food stuffs and eating habits I have a couple of tips.
    1. Drink lots of water. Helps you in digesting your food really works in the weight loss department.
    2. Try to make as much as you can from scratch. Bread, desserts,you name it. Toss out the mixes, they are full of unnecessary fat.
    3. If you normally fry it with some adjusting you should be able to bake it too fries, donuts, even potato chips!
    There’s more and I think I’ll just make a post about it at http://multicultural-cuisine.blogspot.com
    Way to go Shannon!

21. Marisa says:

This is my first time for WFMW and it was fun! I look forward to reading the rest of the great ideas but for now it’s back to finishing school work with the kids… 🙂

22. Heather L. says:

Thanks for hosting! I love your ideas! I think I may have to buy some stock in Hidden Valley after hearing how much you use ranch dressing mix (garlic bread and this). :o)

23. Angie says:

I am excited to be participating for the first time. I love your tips! I have recently started a healthy recipe blog more about portion control, fresh ingredients and healthy fats and protiens (none of that fat free junk here!).

24. Jerri says:

Healthy for us is eating low carb. We started in Oct., not to lose weight, but because of pre-diabetes/high blood glucose levels. We didn’t know we would lose so much weight, so quick and without even having to excercise! Amazing!
    Low carb allows us to eat bacon, which we love and eat everyday, so we had to find a way to make it fast and easy. So, that is what I shared this week.

25. Cousin Amy says:

Since I don’t have a blog of my own to link to, I thought I’d chime in here in the comments section and share a tip that has been extremely helpful for me. As you know, I’ve had my own weight loss battles over the years, but have managed to successfully keep the pounds off for nearly eight years. After trying all types of diets and exercise programs, what has worked best for me is an exercise program that consists of about 75% weighlifting (which takes less time and is more effective than cardio alone) and 25% cardio.
    Easier said than done, I know–particularly if you’re having to think about feeding a six-person family and using what precious little personal time you have for an activity considered by many to be unpleasant. However, exercise is a MUST if you’re to lost weight and still enjoy some of your favorite foods. And because I absolutely HATE the monotony and the effort of running or doing the stairmaster and rarely have time to work out for more than 45 minutes to an hour at a time, I’ve found that lifting weights has actually been an easier way for me to get good results in less time. And don’t worry about “bulking” up (unless you take steroids and lift very heavy weights)–weightlifting exercises will simply tone and strengthen your muscles.
    I’d recommend finding a personal trainer you like, and getting him or her to help you develop a workout plan and show you correct weightlifting form. It will take anywhere from 6 to 12 sessions to get you started, after which point you can go on your own. It is money well-spent, I promise!
    Best of luck to you and Hubs!

26. amblin says:

Wonderful idea!
    Of course, now I need to change my WFMW or add to it. I’d already submitted my WFMW post-dated for today. Sorry! Off to come up with a new WFMW healthy recipe!

27. cityfarmer says:

Try and see how long you can go without eating bread, crackers, chips, potatoes and the like(two weeks and you’ll be a different gal)…basically this is the South Beach concept but it empties out belly fat and makes you feel clean and light on the INSIDE…imagine that…
    Keep salads all made in a baggie (if it ain’t fixed, you won’t eat it…nuts, cheese, some fruit…and some red wine…and you’re there…
    Nice to meet you.

28. amblin says:

Submitted my new WFMW! Sorry about the toothbrushes one! I guess I’ll just have 2 for this week. (Is that allowed? *sheepish grin*)
    Anyway, I posted my recipe for yummy sauteed veggies. It is so simple but so delicious!

29. Christine says:

Thanks for the very helpful WFMW! Since I did not post an entry I will be content to pilfer everyone else’s wonderful ideas. I’m trying to lose also, but lately all I seem to be rid of is motivation…

30. ChupieandJsmama says:

I haven’t participated before, but since this is part of my New Years resolutions and I found an easy and delicious recipe, I just wanted to share it with everyone. Thanks for hosting:)

31. JulesInPink says:

Thanks Shannon! I’ve learned so much from WFMW in the past and decided to add my first! It’s not actually healthy eating, but it’s a New-Year’s Bible reading plan so I didn’t want to put it off another week! Thank you!

32. proverbs31 says:

I apologize, my name is on there twice! I realized I didn’t include what my tip was for next to my name and couldn’t get it to let me take the first one off, so I added a second one. Leave it to me to screw up something this easy. 🙂

33. Just Jana says:

Yay! I’m excited because this is the first WFMW I’ve been able to participate in and it was on one of my favorite topics. I have shared my all-time favorite, and easiest snack idea. LOVE IT! Thanks for doing this!

34. Jody says:

No recipe, but a “lifestyle” kind of thing. It’s called the Half-Of Diet. You eat everything you would normally eat, but just eat half portions. This works really well when you go out to eat with Hubby. Just order one dinner and split it.