Old Man Winter Has An Axe To Grind

If winter comes, can Spring be far behind?

–Percy Bysshe Shelley

I hope not, because we could use a little Spring right about now.  It has iced (not "snowed", it has actually "iced") nearly non-stop since yesterday afternoon, and the roads are like an ice rink.  Hubs and the boys are about to get out and see what essentials remain at the grocery store.  Our power has flickered a couple of times, and my boys have spent the morning in the back yard sliding on their sleds and smashing into lawn furniture.  It’s a good day.

This weather shows no sign of letting up soon, so I’ve pre-posted a few things in case we lose power.

Stay warm, wherever you are!

19 thoughts on “Old Man Winter Has An Axe To Grind

1. Pam says:

Thanks for the weather update – we often get what you get only, only a day later. Sounds like your family is enjoying it to the most!

2. Barb says:

It snowed here last night and it’s freezing today. Staying warm without sending the gas bill into orbit is the challenge. Stay warm there, too.
    Sounds like the kids are enjoying it!

3. Mommy says:

And this year you’ve received the winter we haven’t. Well, just the snow/ice–we still have the lovely, cold air that is pushing all this down to you. We usually say “if it’s gonna be cold, it might as well snow,” but I’m beginning to like the lack of slippery sidewalks and roads, windshields covered with inches of snow/ice, and such joys of winter. At least your boys are enjoying it! 🙂

4. Jennifer says:

I feel like all I have done since yesterday when the kids got released early from school is dress and undress them and put their clothes in the dryer. IT is a never ending process. They love this weather. Since we have only been in Missouri 1 1/2 years they are not used to this kind of weather. God, please give me patience!!!

5. rachel says:

we’re getting sleet for the next couple days. I’m happy we can just stay snug in the house!
    Hope you don’t need to go out and that your power stays on. Ice is one of those things you don’t mess with. At least the kiddos can enjoy it!

6. momrn2 says:

We’re trying to stay warm here too. We’re in below zero temps and snow started falling about an hour ago. At least we don’t have the ice thing going on!! WHEW! You all stay warm too!!

7. Sheri says:

Chilly isn’t it!! I can’t get warm (I think you are in Green Country too aren’t you?) We have several inches of ICE. In fact I took pictures to post on my blog, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.
    Stay Warm!!

8. DKRaymer says:

We’re under an Ice Storm Warning here in SW MO, but all we’ve gotten is rain all day. Thank God! Our families live 30 miles north and they got hammered. 70% of their town is dark from very heavy ice. We’re keeping our fingers crossed here. Hope you are all well. Stay safe and warm!
    DK

9. Lauren S. says:

I am really not a winter weather girl, but we have had very little wintry weather in Tennessee this year. It is 68 right now! I wish we would have one cold Sunday. I bought a great sweater for my son to wear to church this winter, and it still has the tags on it! Don’t send the ice, but send some cold weather our way!

10. Angela Snodgrass says:

“my boys have spent the morning in the back yard sliding on their sleds and smashing into lawn furniture. It’s a good day.”
    Sounds like the kind of fun we have around here. Too funny!

11. Antique Mommy says:

The 6YO wax myrtle that camogfauges the window over my bathtub and blocks the morning sun – the one that was, oh? 20ft tall? Fell. Over. Just tipped over from the ice and rain. Sean is so sad. He said “That was my favorite tree!” On the upside, we have stayed in our PJs all day for two days now! Wee! And played Leggos. Not wee!

12. edj says:

sigh…I’ll trade. We’re back to hot afternoons and nights with the windows open and the fans on. At least the sandstorm, which came back with a vengeance, has abated again so we can OPEN those windows!

13. lori m says:

Hope you’re staying warm. I have two little girls who are anxiously awaiting the 3 inches of snow the weatherman has promised. Mommy is huddled inside waiting on spring. It can’t be soon enough!

14. Nikki says:

Right now it’s NEGATIVE 22 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s negative 38 with the windchill. But I am so grateful we don’t have the ice storms like so many other states right now. Because if we lost power, I can’t imagine how cold our home would get. I hope you don’t lose power. You are all in our prayers!

15. Jessica says:

My heart goes out to you, because we went through similar ice storms a couple of weeks ago. We were blessed that we weren’t one of the thousands of folks who lost power that week, some of whom are still without power two weeks later.