J0409011We’re now 15 days into the Year O’ Eating Healthy in the Dryer household, and so far, so good.  I’ve managed to lose five pounds so far, without even giving much thought to exercise yet.  Baby steps, people.  (And no, that nice little photo to the right isn’t me, it’s a file photo, so stop trying to scrunch up your eyes to read the numbers on the scale.  You’re totally busted.)

By the way, why is it that when a person first loses weight, they dismiss it by saying, "Oh, it’s just water weight."  Like that’s a bad thing that the weight is made of water.  I don’t care if it’s made of brain tissue, I just want it off my body.

For one of our meals this weekend, we ate turkey burgers on whole wheat buns, with sweet potato french fries.  It was was surprisingly non-horrible, and considerably healthier than the alternative.  I thought about putting tofu on the burger, just so I could include it in this blog post, but then I decided that bloggability was a really bad reason to buy tofu.  Come to think of it, has there ever been a good reason to buy tofu?

Another bizarre little trick is working for me right now, and it will demonstrate to you just how bizarre the innerworkings of my head is are is are…oh, shoot, whatever.  Anyway, I bought those little spiral bound index cards, and on each one I’ve written something to motivate me about losing weight:

Think about swimsuits this summer!

You don’t want to get diabetes, do you?

If you stop eating when you’re full, then when you’re hungry again you CAN eat.

Corny, I know, but it’s actually helping me.  I have two little booklets–one in my purse, and one in my kitchen, and I’m referring to them very often.  I’m trying to re-train my brain to think this way.  I’m thinking it will be especially helpful when I hit the I-lost-ten-pounds mark, because that’s where I always fall off the wagon.

Lastly, these little jobbers are making this whole thing possible.  If I can have ice cream, I can do it.  And carrots?  CARROTS ARE MY FRIEND.

Thus conclues the most disjointed blog post I’ve ever written.  Maybe it was five pounds of brain tissue after all…

Posted in: Fun

56 thoughts on “On Eating Well And Losing Weight And Being Hungry Enough To Eat a Plate Full of Nails

1. Tara says:

I’m managing on breastfeeding at the moment. Girly is one month old and I am under pre-pregnancy weight. Got a long way to go, but pretty happy right now. Starving, but happy. šŸ™‚

2. theotherbear says:

I wasn’t trying to read the scales – I was thinking “What is she showing THAT for!” before I realised it was not a snap you took this morning šŸ™‚

3. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) says:

Good girl!!! I’ve lost 4. I may have lost more last night watching “24”. And no ma’am, I won’t say a word. But, yes, Jack looked awfully good. But not until about 20 minutes in. When he just happened to find that smokin’ tight shirt that fit PERFECTLY to replace his tired old torn and bloody button down. That’s all I’m sayin’.

4. Antique Mommy says:

Tofu is to be purchased for recipies calling for tofu that you make, taste, say eeew and then throw away after allowing it to mellow in the fridge for one to two weeks. Another way to use tofu is to buy it, put it in the fridge unopened and then throw it away it expires, thereby allowing you to say in all honesty that you buy tofu. It’s peoplelike me that keep the tofu industry in business.

5. Barb says:

Something about this makes me smile. Probably the whole brain tissue versus water weight thing.
    The best trick I ever used to lose weight was to wear a pair of jeans, one size too small.

6. D says:

my trick? To eat every 2 hours and keep a low cal tasty fudge bar to eat late at night as a reward. If I eat a small snack every 2 hours, I never actually get very hungry or get the urge to snack just for the sake of it. I hate having to work so hard to lose weight!

7. Jane says:

Congratulations on the 5 lbs! I did Weight Watchers almost 2 years ago and it convinced me that it’s more about eating and less about exercise! If you can find the WW Toffee Ice Cream bars… they are my favorite. I have several WW/low cal recipes on my blog too…. granted, not all of them are, but several! The Hoisin Pork Stir-Fry and the Turkey and Jack Cheese Chimichangas are probably my favorite.

8. martha says:

I was going to compliment your beautifully pedicured feet. One of the morning talk shows had a few good tips that I think have been helpful for moi–1)keep your hands busy (as in getting crafty, blogging, or cleaning, anything to keep them from seeking out food–I’ve started knitting) and 2)drinking tea when you want a snack…of course that my eclipse the whole water weight advantage. anywho- good luck- sounds like you’re doing great. I think I’ll be making sweet potato fries tonight, hmmmm

9. dcrmom says:

Good for you! Congrats on the 5 lbs. That is a lot in the first week.
    Here’s another one for your cards:
    “Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!”

10. boomama says:

I have to confess that Dee’s comment about Jack’s smokin’ tight tee-shirt totally distracted me. When you get to season five, you’ll understand why.
    Ahem.
    And congrats on the 5 pounds! Very proud of you.
    Also: I would love the recipe for the sweet potato french fries.

11. boomama says:

Ahem.
    And congrats on the 5 pounds! Very proud of you.
    Also: I would love the recipe for the sweet potato french fries.

12. boomama says:

Ahem.
    And congrats on the 5 pounds! Very proud of you.
    Also: I would love the recipe for the sweet potato french fries.

13. Liz says:

I’ve lost 7 pounds since the beginning of December. I think it’s because I’m not eating everytime I’m hungry AND every time Dustin was hungry too.

14. Mommy, the Human Napkin says:

I think my first resolution should have been to work on my procrastination tendencies before losing weight because I keep putting off the diet. “I’ll start tomorrow,” I mutter, as I eat that bag of M&Ms or package of cheese crackers. “I don’t feel like working out right now,” so I’ll go sit on my butt in front of the TV or my computer. I need motivation! And to stop coming up with excuses and just do it!
    Congrats on the five pounds gone already! Maybe I’ll make my own index cards and write down “Shannon already lost five pounds… I can, too, if I’ll just get up and do it!”

15. Beck says:

I use smooth tofu to make fruit smoothies. Honestly, you don’t notice it in there. Of course, you can just skip the tofu altogether, really.
    Good for you for losing five pounds! Very inspiring!

16. Karly says:

Tofu…hahahaha. I’m such a GOOD wife, that a while back I made my husband’s very favorite chicken fried rice, but substituted the chicken for tofu and didn’t tell him. He was eating with only a slightly odd look on his face and finally asked what was wrong with the chicken. BWAAAHAHAAAHAHAAAA. He did say it was good, just a funky texture.
    (I, of course, never tried it.)

17. Angela Snodgrass says:

Brain tissue…water weight…what’s the difference? Five pounds is five pounds! I agree. Great job!
    I have used the eating every couple of hours trick. I start off with the protein shake in the morning to jumpstart my metabolism, a homemade powerbar for lunch (a dear friend makes and sells them…they are scrumptious!), then a sensible dinner. Try to have a small snack in between…a cheese stick or some other source of protein.
    One little coupe for me this past weekend…we went out to eat at our favorite mexican restaurant. I ordered my usual, with a to-go box and put half my order away. I was more than full AND had another meal on Sunday. It was great!
    Keep up the great work!

18. Jodi says:

I’ve come to really (really!!!) enjoy eating the pre-cut iceburg lettuce mix “right out of the bag” (like potato chips). Just pick a piece of lettuce and once you start, it’s amazing how you can’t stop.
    My little “quirk” FWIW!

19. a suburban housewife says:

I’d be interested in your sweet potato fries recipe. I have one as well, and I think they are absolutely DELISH!! They do get cold quickly, though.
    Also, on the carrot front: I love them! I never understand why some people talk about how bad they are for you and High Glycemic Index and all that. It’s not as though I gained all my extra weight be eating CARROTS, for crying out loud!!!

20. momrn2 says:

5 lbs?! WOW! That is fantastic. And as for the cards… My motto is, “Whatever it takes”. Actually, I should probably be doing the same type of thing!
    Keep up the GREAT work!

21. Big Mama says:

I was doing pretty well until the big freeze hit, now I’m just eating to keep from going out of my mind. Hopefully, the brain tissue loss I’m suffering will make up for the dozen chocolate chip cookies.
    Oh, and Skinny Cow…best lowfat ice cream products ever.

22. Heather L. says:

You’re doin’ GREAT! I may try the notebook thing. Sounds motivating!
    P.S. I love BB101! I use Blogger and didn’t think I could do the strikeout font. Thanks for the HTML code for it!

23. Stacey says:

Wow, that’s so great Shannon! I think I need some brain retraining, too. Right now I’m just trying to eat stuff when I can. It’s hard with morning sickness! I do like your little note cards though!
    Another sweet treat that isn’t too bad… Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches : )

24. chilihead says:

This post is hilarious! Yay for five pounds! I was thinking of you last night when I wanted to make double-chocolate brownies. I decided I better not since we’re BOTH trying to be good. That’s my mental game and I’m stickin’ to it.

25. Jen says:

You’ve already lost 5 pounds!! That is fantastic! I love the card idea–not corny at all. Keep up whatever you are doing–it is working!

26. Sarah S. says:

You should have told us that was you — I think that person weighs like 107!
    I love your card trick! I’ve posted some tips and tricks in my last two Fitness Fridays (but the last one was about exercise — you may want to skip it for now). It’s all about whatever works!

27. Melanie says:

Who cares if it is water weight or brain weight? Just don’t lose too many cells so you can’t blog.
    I just saw the Store Wars video AKA The Organic Veggie Tales. Funny.

28. Tara says:

If you’re into a little light non-fiction reading, try “Sisterchicks Down Under”. There are some great weight loss one liners in that one! Keep going, you’re doing great!

29. Leslie says:

Congratulations on 5 pounds!
    I just made the decision to work to lose weight over the weekend. Yesterday was my first “official” diet day. It’s quite a challenge since I’m used to snacking contstantly! That’s a hard habit to break.
    I like your card idea. I put one of my skinny pictures on my fridge for motivation.

30. Beth F. says:

Congratulations! Take it FIVE POUNDS AT A TIME! You can do it!
    And…coming from someone who just lost 32 lbs…shopping is so much MORE FUN now! SHOPPING IS FUN!!

31. Janis Rodgers says:

Five pounds is awesome! I wouldn’t care where the weight came from, either, as long as it was coming off. Your ideas of carrying around inspirational sayings is awesome! I may have to borrow it! You are doing a wonderful job! This time next year, you will be that skinny-mini that you want to be! Blessings!

32. Julie says:

Congratulations on your weight loss. I empathize with Antique Mommy’s comment about letting tofu go to waste in the fridge. Once in a while I buy smoked tofu, which is available at some health food stores. It can be used in place of smoked meat or fish. It tastes great but it’s expensive. Health food stores and upscale delis sometimes sell prepared dishes made with tofu. Often, you can ask for samples. Some delis will even provide recipes. In lieu of tofu, a great snack is Edamame, soybeans in the pod that you eat with your fingers. They are available the freezer sections of some grocery stores, health food stores, and oriental markets. One problem with soybeans is that they contain a lot of estrogen and are not the best dietary choice for those at risk for breast cancer.

33. Oh, The Joys says:

I’ve been doing ww for 7 months – carrots are a close companion at this point. You may want to check out Mom-O-Matic’s MILF club… lot’s of blogosphere weight loss going on.

34. lori m says:

Shannon,
    Since reading your post, I have been putting some thoughts together on what worked for us this summer (before this pregnancy). One thing Ted and I did was to start eating dinner off of our salad plates. This helped on portion control. We also either had a salad with dinner or a veggie. Not both. We also eat 1/2 of a chicken breast and not a whole one (even now). Ted dropped about 15 pounds and I could tell a difference in my clothes. We are (were) big wine drinkers and we gave up the glass while dinner was being prepared. Not only did that cut down on our “bottle” consumption, it helped the wallet a bit too! Neither one of us drink soda, except every once and again. Always water. I used to joke that all that’s in this house is water and wine! Of course, with kids, we do have milk.
    Anyway…I hope this helps a bit. Good luck on your weight loss journey. I’ll send you those recipes soon!

35. Jessica says:

I did not get a chance to read the other comments so someone may have already mentioned these…
    Try the Weight Watchers ice cream bars with crushed oreos on the outside. Super yummy! I have to buy two boxes at a time otherwise everyone in my family eats them all before I even get one.
    Also, I LIVE on sweet potato fries!

36. Heather says:

May I suggest the book “The Schwarzbein Principle”. It is a fabulous book that focuses not necessarily on weight loss, but on total body balance, which of course inevitably leads to achieving optimal body weight because your body and metabolism are in balance. Also, she does not recommend cutting your food intake–just changing it. She actually says that most Americans are not eating ENOUGH–they are filling up on things that change their metabolism, and are vastly depriving their bodies of what it needs, even as their weight goes up. Then they crave carbs because their energy is so whacked out, and their bodies are desperate. Sound familiar?
    The best part is that she does not make you count calories, keep track of points, or mark your progress on the scale. The idea is that once you are giving your body what it needs, you get natural signals that you are full and satisfied, and therefore will not overeat. Also, she has a 14 day program where she maps out everything you should be eating–complete with recipes. No thought on your part at all! And, she does not condemn people who are overweight as weak or powerless. She demonstrates how your metabolism shifts so much that your body demands certain things that are impossible for even the most strong-willed person to resist. Definitely not a guilt book. She does recommend exercise, though šŸ™‚
    This book has truly changed my life, and we are all healthier for it.
    Good luck!

37. peach says:

Great job, Shannon! I’d love to know about your other motivational card mottos, too, when you feel like sharing.
    One thing that helps me when I am trying to lose weight is to brush my teeth frequently between meals when I “think” I am hungry.
    I don’t know about you, but most of what I am craving tastes really crummy right after brushing my teeth — plus it keeps my teeth healthier and breath smelling minty fresh!!

38. Amanda says:

Please don’t make it sound like diabetes is something you “get.” It’s a disease that is inherited and many are born with it. It’s not contagious, so you won’t “get” it.
    I understand your meaning, but you might want to rephrase to “develop” instead of “get.”

39. Paulette1958 says:

You can’t catch diabeties, however you can get it if your eating habits are way out of control, like in stages of obesity onset.
    Great job on the 5 pounds. I lOVE carrots but my nutricionist told me to lay off them as they are hard to digest, so I eat blackberries instead.
    Im going on 25 pounds lost wooo hoo.
    I LOVE sweet potatoe fries, baked of course.

40. Christine says:

I’m trying to lose some brain tissue too. Right after reading your post I found myself out the door and negotiating the icy Target parking lot (which is something, btw, you DO NOT want to do in this city until around March) and then when I got in there, I decided to pick up some note cards. Since I quit my corporate drone job to stay home I rarely get a chance to revel in office supplies anymore so this was a major treat for me. I found some POST-IT note cards! Like manna from heaven, I tell you! I cannot wait to fill these gems with weight-loss motivators old and new and wallpaper my kitchen with them. Thanks for the tip, Shannon. And I hope your Hogs flag makes it through unscathed…

41. Sandy says:

I know how it is…. trying to lose weight. I am a member of Weight Watchers. It is hard! But what I have learned through my journey is that water is my very best friend. Even if it means I have to spend my whole day in the bathroom! Since October of 2005, I have lost 20 pounds. And I still have a few more to go until I reach my goal weight. All I can say is stick with it and the pounds will fall off! Good Luck!

42. HolyMama! says:

shannon! 5 POUNDS? it’s only the 17th!! That’s actually an UNhealthy rate at which to lose, so be careful. (can you hear the jealousy in that last comment, because yeah. it was there. i’d be thrilled with such an accomplishment.)
    do you want to get diabetes? on an index card works for you? i think that’s wonderful AND weird.
    geekwif has a post up about being ‘all or nothing’ and then not accomplishing goals. i’m like that. trying not to be, and doing ‘baby steps’ like you say.