You Know It’s Bad When I Resort To Cleaning Out Drawers

Nary a creative thought this weekend.  Nope, not a one.

Thinking I might as well use this snowbound time for something productive, I was inspired by the Organizing Junkie herself to completely clean out my desk drawers.

Y’all, it was bad.  I found coupons that had expired in 2004, and a free pizza award my son won in kindergarten.  He’s in the third grade now.

So I ruthlessly tossed whatever I could, emptied the drawers, VACUUMED THEM OUT (yes, it was that dirty, and I’m that bored), and then I neatly re-loaded them.  Because Laura coaches us that before/after pictures are an important inspiration, I shall share them below.  Because I know you must be riveted to find out what my, um, desk drawers look like, right?  Trust me, after seven days snowbound, it’s interesting.

I give you drawer #1, which was in the worst shape of them all, at first.  It is now the drawer that is 100% off limits to anyone but ME.  Okay, maybe Hubs, but only if he’s very good.

Drawer #2 was formerly used to hold three-year-old Christmas cards and other vitally important trash.  Now, it’s the drawer that contains things the kids and I both might need:

Yes, I know that’s a lot of Scotch tape.  I tend to buy it in bulk.  We may run out of milk, diapers and toilet paper, but oh my stars we will always have clear adhesive.

Drawer #3 is now for mailing supplies ONLY:  stamps, envelopes and address labels.  Anyone who breaks this rule will himself be packaged up and shipped away:

And there you go.  I know your life is much richer with this knowledge.

Thanks to Laura for the inspiration!

51 thoughts on “You Know It’s Bad When I Resort To Cleaning Out Drawers

1. Gayle says:

I think I’m having drawer envy!
    But, alas, the minute I took something out, I’m sure I’d be the first to toss it back in the wrong place. And, there, my friend, starts the whole crazy cycle. I’m sure it would take a week or less for me to reverse all your pictures.

2. Irene says:

Well, as I can see all that snow was worth it! Well thought, well done. That’s what I’d call snow cleaning (saves you some spring cleaning!)

3. kim from hiraeth says:

That’s funny; I cleaned out my desk drawers yesterday, too.
    I was working on a calligraphy project and cleaning and organizing seemed easier than the work, I suppose. I was hoping for inspiration, but it never came. But when I sit down at my drawing board next time, I will be able to find everything so when inspiration strikes, I’ll be ready!
    That’s the theory, at least.

4. Cheryl says:

Your drawers look great! I tackled our kitchen drawers a few months ago. They are back to looking like the before photos.
    Please tell us— how will you KEEP everything organized for more than 2 weeks ( or 2 days)??? I’m not being sarcastic- I’m serious.
    Blessings, Cheryl

5. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings says:

OK – step away from the cleaning supplies and no one will get hurt! LOL So, HOW many days has it been? 😉
    Seriously though, good job! May actually tackle that job today along with my goal to go through each of the Viking’s dressers to weed out too-small clothes.
    Now you’re MY inspiration! See how that works?! LOL

6. Tara says:

I’ve been putting off cleaning off the junk drawers in my house for weeks. I started making 4 baby quilts instead. Maybe we need to be snowed in for a week…

7. Myfriendconnie says:

We use lots of tape, too, and bandaids. Around here a bandaid can make even a mosquito bite feel better. Do you recognize the sound of a 2 yr old using yards of tape at a time? ssskkkkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

8. Kathleen says:

Wow – I’ve been trying to clean stuff out, too. But my clean drawers look like drawer #3’s Before photo.

9. boomama says:

Any girl who has that much Scotch tape is my friend FOREVAH AND EVAH.
    And I think you’ve inspired me to get some stuff done around here. But just not this weekend.
    Crazy how much the motivation of before / after pics works, but it really, really, does.
    Finally, you’ll be happy to know that I’m having another decorating emergency, so A. and I are off to TJ Maxx and Home Goods.

10. Chandra says:

I promise I am not a stalker. I am a new reader and I just read that you grew up in AR. I have some family in the Ft.Smith/Alma area. I am in OK(central) now but I grew up in a very small town in OK close to the AR border.
    I love your organized drawers. I think most of us can use some good organization.

11. maria says:

I totally bought the Disney stamps too. But I refuse to use them, they are soo cute and all. That pretty much tells you a whole lot about what my desk drawers look like.

12. Heather says:

Wow! I so need to do that. But my drawers aren’t in as bad of shape as my closets. I gotta get on them. You’ve inspired me!
    And OJ too. I just wish I could hire her though. I don’t like to work that hard!

13. chilihead says:

Ahem! And HOW were you able to have the uninterrupted time to do this fabulous project?
    (cough, cough) Chili rocks! (cough, cough)
    LOL! Excellent-looking drawers, btw. I think I may be inspired myself.

14. qtpies7 says:

Oh, for the love of all things sticky!!! I’m drooling over the tape drawer! I LOVE tape! Read my 6 weird things about me meme! LOL Your drawers look great, but I have to say, if my junk drawer looked like your before shots, I’d be happy, hehe. My junk drawer barely opens or closes. But with a baby and a toddler, I just can’t get to it.

15. Kilikina says:

I hear you. Although so far at 4:00pm on Sat the predicted “snow” we were told we would get is just rain, can you believe it?!
    You should visit Janice at 5minutesformom, she does a “Tackle it Tuesday” with projects like this and the Organizing Junkie participates too I believe. She would love this…

16. Kim says:

Your drawers look so great! I have a couple I need to tend to,also…it feels good when something like that gets done!

17. owlhaven says:

woohoo!! Almost as gorgeous as my closet. Now I am so inspired I want to start on my junk drawer next.
    AND at this moment, hubby is installing yet more shelves in the closet, he so much liked the one I put up the other day!

18. Amy says:

Impressive! My only problem if I did this is that my 18 month old would add things back to them (even w/ the childproof latches on the drawer, he still finds space to fit things in!) 🙂
    Great Job!

19. katherine says:

Aaahh . . . well organized spaces like that just make me feel all warm and fuzzy and calm inside. 🙂
    I have to ask — is that a stack of event-appropriate cards in the back corner of the third drawer? So I’m not the only one who finds cards at Hallmark and says, “I dunno who this will be for — but it’s a great card and I must buy it!”

20. Becky says:

What a great job! And, I must agree with Laura, before/after pictures truly are an inspiration! It looks so nice and neat! It makes me all sorts of happy! I know ~ I’m weird like that! 🙂

21. tammy says:

I actually own the domain “” (not up yet)because I thought it would be fun to post pictures of peoples’ junk drawers, lol. Weird, I know, but I know I have some weird things in mine…

22. GiBee says:

Siiiggghhh … I feel so normal now. Thank you for airing your dirty drawers and showing us the new and improved versions! It gives us all HOPE!