Works For Me: DVD Case

Wfmwheader_9 I think there’s a good chance that every mom in America is already doing what I’m about to tell you, and you’re all going to look at me and wonder, "Does she really think that’s innovative?," and in fact no, I do not, but I’m tired and temporarily running out of WFMW tips so I’ll go ahead and tell you anyway.

DvdsWe keep all the kids’ DVDs in a regular CD case.  This keeps them from scattering the plastic DVD jackets all over the living room when they’re looking for a particular disc.  It’s also quite handy when we’re leaving on a long car trip.  We can grab the whole DVD collection and dash.

So, here’s hoping that your tip is considerably more creative than mine–link away, below!  Guidelines for WFMW can be found here.

(Oh, and by the way, last week the overwhelming majority of you thought that we should have a mix of "themed" WFMWs mixed in with the "free-for-all" version.  So here’s the plan: from now on the FIRST WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH will be a themed variety.  I’ll give you plenty of notice what the theme is, don’t worry.  Speaking of which, if you have any brilliant theme ideas, e-mail me at the address on my sidebar.  Remember, we need to keep the theme fairly broad and appealing to a large group of people.  For example, something relating only to parents of preschoolers, or vegetarians, or lactose-intolerant astronauts, or claustrophobic Swedes might be a tad too specific.)

75 thoughts on “Works For Me: DVD Case

1. Overwhelemd! says:

Shannon, this sounds like a great idea to me! I can’t tell you how frustrating it can be when my little one is chanting “Nemo” over and over while I’m struggling to get the Nemo DVD out of it’s case, breaking nails as I go!
    Thanks for sharing.

2. Laura in KY says:

Yes, yes! We do this too! We have a few different cases. One for music cd’s, one for sermons & other messages, one for books on cd, and one for dvd’s. It is a great way to keep things organized!
    Laura in KY

3. Chrystal says:

I’m glad you gave this tip. I’m using this system but I still have all of my cases stowed away…just in case. Ugh. I’ve got to start letting things go 🙂

4. Jessica says:

That’s a great idea – we’re Star Trek fans in our house, and my husband put all our Trek DVD’s in one of those big folders. It’s so easy to find the different seasons now!
    peace of Christ to you,
    Jessica

5. Myfriendconnie says:

OK, now you know. I’m a big, huge dork! I messed up twice! I’m soooooo sorry! Please, don’t hate me because I’m link-challenged. #22 is the one that works.
    Sorry!

6. Michelle says:

We do that with DVDs and it’s still a good idea. What I’d like to do it copy all of our old VHS tapes onto DVDs. My sister has done that and I keep meaning to do it too and clear out a bunch of space in our family room currently taken up with VHS tapes.

7. Kate says:

Thanks for hosting this – great idea to do themes once a month. Am I the only one wondering what people might put about claustrophobic Swedes, though? (and would that one only be about Northern Europeans or would the root veg qualify?)

8. Kim says:

We use the cases, too and they work so well. I have separate one for me and the girls, then separate ones for CDs, DVDs, and computer games. The girls love the “ownership” of having their own cases.
    previously known as peanut butter and jelly in the vcr

9. Emily says:

The dvd storage tip is news to me, so there are at least two of us.
    Okay, so I am a fairly regular reader, although I mostly lurk. I don’t often feel like I have much new to add to the dicussion.
    Anyhow, this comment to to make a request. You have mentioned before that feel that you are specifically called to have your kids in public school. I would love to read more about how the Lord brought you through that decision making process and what the challenges are. We are at the beginning of making these decisions for our oldest. I know a ton of moms that are intentional and prayerful about homeschooling their kids but the all the public school moms that I know seemed to just end up there, you know? So, I don’t know if it’s kosher to make a request that someone blog about a certain topic, but that is what I am doing.
    Also, since I am commenting and it is already long I’ll say that you have a great blog, the blogging basics blog is a super idea and totally meets a need that is out there, and works for me wednesday is super helpful!

10. Jennifer, Snapshot says:

Okay–yes, I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never implemented it, so maybe this will give me the nudge? Those DVD cases take up too much space, AND I have a toddler who can work the DVD himself, and of course he scatters them all around.
    Love the once a month theme idea.

11. Becky says:

Actually, Shannon, I do not do that! What a terrific idea. Why didn’t I think of that before? Duh? Brilliance! I am so doing that now. I hope you have a great week. And, just so you know, your post about the royal family…yeah, I spent probably close to an hour reading about them and looking at pictures. Thanks! :O

12. Valerie says:

No, everybody does not do that (me) already. That is a good idea. I need to do something with our mass of cd’s and this might just be the solution.
    Thanks!

13. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) says:

I live with a houseful of barbarians who cannot seem to get the DVD back into the case, not matter how organized I make them. DVDs end up under the sofa, used as coasters, and I’ve even discovered one outside. My problems may be to widespread for any type of help. But, I love this idea. And I’m willing to give it a go.

14. Elisa says:

Believe it or not, we did this for ourselves years ago (not because we left the cases on the living room floor, but because we had little room to store our oversized collection), but have yet to put in place for the kids. Thanks for the kick in the pants to get it going!
    However, the girls got disc players from their almost uncle for Christmas and we encouraged them to use their allowance to buy cases to carry their CDs with them (on vacation, in particular). So, I guess we’re moving the right direction!
    Blessings,
    Elisa

15. Babystepper says:

My husband has made me do this with all DVDs, CDs and games for a while now. It really is great. I’m glad you shared it, because there are still a lot of women out there suffering from “Little-Case Syndrome”

16. Everyday Mommy says:

Okay, I confess…(head hanging in shame)…I’ve never thought of this. But, it is a fantastic idea! You have no idea how much aggrevation you’ve saved me. I’m heading to Target to pick one up today.

17. Jenn E says:

Well I hadn’t thought of that! Great idea. I was just thinking how ugly it looked to have all those cases on display in our living room. I’m going to have to do this. Thanks! 🙂

18. An Iowa Mom says:

Actually … no, I hadn’t thought of this. I do it with the kids COMPUTER games, but not their DVD’s. What a great idea! We have several cases that are destroyed because the boys get them out to watch and the girls “play with” and “destroy” them!
    Thanks! I’m off to Target to get a case RIGHT NOW! I am going to get one for the Game Cube games too … then everythng will be organized together in the playroom closet.
    GREAT IDEA!

19. mommablogger says:

We’ve actually done that for a while. We went on a long car ride and hooked up a tiny tv with a dvd player in the backseat to keep the kids occupied for such a long drive. They were happy, we were happy, and the drive didn’t seem nearly as long.

20. amblin says:

I must be the last mom in the world to catch on to this but I had NEVER thought of doing that! What a great idea! I’m off to Target to get one this week. We are forever having to look for lost DVD’s etc. It will be wonderful to have them all have a “home” in the same place! And a place with a zipper?!?! Even better! LOL

21. Shannon in Arizona says:

Oh hey I heard from a friend last week and we were talking about this. She said Target actually carried DVD carrying cases. Just like the CD one’s. I guess you can even put the graphic work in the slip cover too. I know my kids only seem to remember the movie when the see the cover. Going to “heaven” today (Target) and I was gonna look for them…..

22. Flybaby_Amy says:

I love the tip about the kids’ DVD’s… I hadn’t thought of that! I think I’ll add one of those cases to my WalMart list.
    I just discovered your blog a few days ago & I’m enjoying it. I posted my own first WFMW tip today!

23. Williamsmommy says:

I just think that is the greatest idea–especially since we are planning so many day/vacation trips for 07 —-and also it helps to not make a DVD tower(UGLY) visible or a DVD pile anymore….GREAT IDEA!

24. J.Fergie says:

Hi Shannon!
    We actually don’t do this with DVDs — what a great idea. We do do it with the girls’ CDs though.
    The once-a-month themed WFMW is perfect. Looking forward to it.

25. Kit says:

We do this with our software. The problem is that, now that the kids are getting older, there are a LOT more of their programs than mine. Well, it seems that way sometimes. I need to get off my rusty dusty and go purchase a second case so that the kids can have their own organizer. Great tip, though! I just posted my first WFMW, so I hope I did it right.

26. jen says:

Sounds like a great idea to me….I have finally posted my first WFMW….yes I’m a virgin to this…LOL! Come check me out….I dont think I linked you correctly…..I think I did my whole web page…..I’m too smart on these things…..so glad you host these things….
    For an idea for the themed WFMW how about a Valentine theme….crafts, dinners, snacks for kids, decor for parties for adults and kids, gift ideas for parents , grandparents, and spouses…
    waht do you think?

27. Tammie says:

I love this idea but what do you do with all of the cases the DVDs come out of? Throw them away?? That makes me nervous because what if you want to get rid of a no longer watched DVD on eBay or a garage sale or something?

28. Jenn says:

I think that’s a great idea! It seems like such an obvious thing to do yet the thought has never entered my mind. Space saving at it’s finest. I know what I’m going to do today!

29. Nancy says:

I’m in for today.
    Love your idea….just don’t do what I did.
    I put all of my music CD collection in one of those and I have lost it……in my house.
    I moved here three years ago and have not been able to find it since. (pathetic, I know!) It is so frustrating to see the cases and not be able to find the CD’s.
    Grrr….it will probably show up in a box marked “canning jars” or something. I was a bit brain dead near the end of my packing.

30. Sarah says:

No, I hadn’t thought of that, and I think I’m going to go do it right now because I need to do some sort of organizing project or my brain will explode. I think it’s a great idea.
    I am not throwing away the cases, but I will put them in the closet…

31. Susan G. says:

I have meant get a case for my DVD’s for a long time. (Put it on the list for Target!!)
    Shannon – please don’t feel you need to post a tip every week – hosting Works for me Wednesdays is helpful enough!!

32. GiBee says:

I hadn’t thought of this idea … thank you for sharing it!!! So … do you throw out the original jewel case the DVDs came in?

33. Laurie says:

Not everyone knows the DVD tip. We’ve been doing it for a few years and everytime a friend notices they’re amazed.
    Shannon, I want to thank you for WFMW. The best part for me has been finding lots of new blogs to follow!

34. HolyMama! says:

mike and i are in bed (keeping it PG here, relax), and i go ‘huh.’ mike asks what i’m talking about. i point to your post and say, ‘look. how smart. shannon puts all her dvds in a cd case – like for car trips.’
    mike said, ‘I DID THAT! i did that on the last car trip!”
    me: oh. yeah. so you did.
    mike: why is it so smart when shannon does it? (fake pouty)
    and to that i just say i dunno. she’s The Shannon and you’re not.
    no. of course i didn’t. hee hee.

35. Jayme says:

I have been trying to figure out what to do with all of our DVD’s so after reading this I went out to Wal-Mart and purchased a CD case and put all of our DVD’s in it!!! Thanks for the great tip

36. Barbara H. says:

Thought last night of another “themed” WFMW idea. I was think of something and wishing there was a forum where I could ask other ladies for ideas, and thought, that might be a good theme: “You ask a question” — an opportunity for ladies to ask for help or ideas on a housekeeping or childraising (or whatever) question they have.

37. Sarah says:

This is my first week doing “Works For Me Wednesday” and I am so excited! Hope I can offer a worthwhile tip for someone out there because I know I have gotten many from you all already. 🙂 Happy Blogging!