It Gets Easier

My first two babies were born 17 months apart.

One morning, when Adam was one and a half and Stephen was a newborn, I was leaving ladies' Bible study after having picked them up at the nursery.  In my left arm was Stephen and his 14-ton baby carrier, two diaper bags and a tote bag.  In my right arm were my car keys, three coats and the pudgy hand of little Adam.  Just as we exited the building, Adam exploded into a tantrum over something–I can't remember what–and I carried all 25 pounds of screaming boy, dangling from my right hand, his feet refusing to touch the ground.  A woman saw me struggling, and with sympathy in her eyes said, "It gets easier."

I went to my car and cried.

Fast forward a few years.  Adam had just turned four, Stephen was two and a half, and Joseph was a newborn.  It was the end of the day, just before Hubs was supposed to return home.  Things had fallen apart.  All three of them needed me at once, and all three of them were crying.  I sat on the couch, rocking the baby back and forth, a preschooler weeping on each shoulder, and I felt more overpoweringly inadequate than I'd ever felt in my life.  I can't do this, I thought, as I focused, quite simply, on breathing in and out.  In and out.

Surely, I thought, it must get easier.

This time, I was too spent even to cry.

Those moments, and hundreds more like them, are seared into my heart.  As much as I treasured parenting my little pack of preschoolers, the extreme exhaustion and mental drain that comes from that season of life nearly did me in more than once.  I look back on those recent years, and I wish I could give the "me back then" a whisper of encouragement from the "me today".

It gets easier, I'd whisper to my bleary-eyed self.  They sleep and they reason and they take charge of their own bodily fluids.  They make you laugh and they feed the dog and they remember where you put the car keys.  They become functioning, delightful little people who can read the notes you leave them.  It gets easier.  It really does.

Since I can't go back in time to share it with "me back then", let me happily share it with you moms of little ones.  You know who you are.  I pop in on your blog sometimes and see that precious, frantic season of life you're in.  You're sitting there at the computer, right now, and you may have crusty spit up in your hair.  You may have assembled 364 miles of Thomas the Tank Engine track today.  You may have sung the Dora the Explorer theme song until your head is ready to explode.  You have little ones, really little ones, and they need you so very much.  And, oh my friend, I know you're tired.

So yes, I tell you, it really does get easier.  Sure, you inherit a different set of parenting challenges as they age, but at least everyone can cut his own meat.  You will get through this time.

And if that's not encouragement enough for you, let me share with you something a friend shared with me during a particularly trying episode of Young Mommy Fatigue.  She e-mailed me the following verse (Isaiah 40:11):

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.  [emphasis mine]

Never have I felt as loved as I felt the moment I first read those words.  The God of the universe, the Master Creator, stopped in the middle of telling The Greatest Story Ever Told for just a brief moment to whisper, "Moms, I know it's hard.  But I will lead you.  And I will lead you gently."

As I read it, I laughed and cried altogether, speechless with thanks at a God who could express such specific tenderness to His creation.  I wasn't alone.

And neither are you, moms of those precious little ones.  You may be up to your ankles in pureed carrots, but many, many of us have gone before and lived to laugh about it, urged on by the gentlest Shepherd.  Take all our word for it.  It gets easier.  And it gets good

164 thoughts on “It Gets Easier

1. Yvonne says:

I was reading a devotional this morning and another great verse for those weary moments is Isaiah 40:31 ” But those who wait for the Lord (who expect, look for, and hope in Him) shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up (close to God) as eagles(mount up to the sun); they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint or become tired” (Amp)
    Yvonne :o)

2. Sheila says:

Thank you. I especially appreciate hearing that some day they WILL take care of their own bodily fluids. Having a 3 1/2 year old still in diapers (and not allowed into preschool until that changes) plus a 20 month old who never stops pooping is hard.

3. An Ordinary Mom says:

Thank you, I needed that. Right now I feel like I am precariously balanced on the edge of insanity and some days I feel like I am going to totter right off in the wrong direction. I am glad to know that it really will get easier.
    Thanks, too, for sharing the scripture from Isaiah 40:11 … the tender mercies of the Lord never cease to amaze me.

4. Jill says:

It is amazing, after writing the post I did the other day about trying to find my place in this big old world, I keep running across posts that speak to me. Some of them whisper, some speak softly, some yell.
    Yours? This post right here? It was loud, and beautiful, and exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you.

5. Lynne says:

Ah yes, the baby years. But it does get easier when they hit school age.
    Enjoy the quiet times, but beware, my pretties (she says with a wicked laugh) – the TEENS are coming! You ain’t seen nothing yet!
    This coming from a grandmom who raised her own two to adulthood and is now raising her 16 year old granddaughter!

6. Doris says:

Indeed, it does get good(er). LOL Mine were three years apart so I didn’t have as many of “those” moments as some. But I do have remembrances of one or both of them being upset crying “I want Daddy” and me responding “I want him too!”.

7. ~liz says:

have you been in my house the past few days? how do you know that i wore the same snot-caked black turtle neck (that was on inside-out most of the day on sunday) for two days in a row? and how many times i wait for my husband to get home, rocking a tired baby, and serving as the indoor jungle gym for a 2 and 3 year old?
    oh, this was the perfect thing to read this morning, bleary-eyed at 5:47 a.m. with my 7 month old who was awake for the day already. and while it’s GOOD now, it’s also oh-so-exhausting, and it’s so tempting to just complain.
    thank you for the great kickstart to my morning! (even before my coffee!!!)
    ~liz

8. Laura says:

As a mom adjusting to life at home with a newborn and a toddler, reading this was like a breath of fresh air. The reminder was a blessing! Thank you for the encouragement!

9. Katie says:

I don’t have kids yet, but we’re trying to start a family… this brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely, honest post. I’m trying to soak up as much of this kind of wisdom as possible BEFORE I have kids and am too mired into the day-to-day to remember. Thanks. It’s also a nice refresher from people who like to say “But just WAIT until…” My neighbor already likes to do that – we have a rough weekend, she responds, “Just wait until you have kids.” That’s not encouraging. Your post was beautifully uplifting. It’s obvious you love your family a lot.
    (I saw this one someone else’s blog the other day, and liked it a lot, too – http://homesanctuary.typepad.com/rachelanne/2007/01/fearless_parent.html)

10. Catherine says:

Thanks for this encouraging post! When baby 2 arrives this June I will have two little ones 17 months apart, and so I’m putting that verse in my memory cards NOW! πŸ™‚

11. Amy says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It’s so good to hear that I’m not alone. As dear as my husband is, he just doesn’t truly get how hard it is to keep everything running. I had a cry just last night about feeling inadequate and not living up to expectations as a mom. Now I’m crying again, but out of thankfulness to you and the Lord, for speaking the words I need to hear. Thank you.

12. Just Jana says:

Shannon, I can SO relate to this. My two youngest were 14 months apart and I already had a toddler, as well. Oh, the tears. I wish I had discovered that verse back then. I will keep that in mind for all my friends who are just starting to have their babies now. THANK YOU for sharing this!

13. Kim (MercyDays) says:

This really took me back to the *reality* of those “break-down” moments. It’s easy to romanticize those baby days when mine are growing up so quick! What a sweet encouragement πŸ™‚
    I linked this post on my blog to lift up the momma’s with little ones in my life. (I almost put the “baby momma’s” hee hee)
    Blessings!

14. HappyGoMommy says:

Thanks, Shannon! As the mom of a 6 1/2 year old, it is fun to see them (as you said) reading our notes, helping around the house, learning Bibles verses and so much more.
    And as the mom of a toddler and 3 month old, as well, I still have crazy, sticky, icky days too!
    We are all so anxious for them to get past some of these stages, but I know we will look back and miss those slimey hugs, slobbery kisses and floor-time jungle-time too!

15. Jessica says:

I am so glad you shared this with us. I know it made me breath a sigh of relief to know I am not alone. I only have one 15 month old right now, but sometimes it feels like more. I love the verse. I am going to post it on my refrigerator to remind me that God is with me every step and is keeping me sane!!

16. Anne-Marie says:

Oh, I do love this verse so much! I have a rather funny story of God teaching me through this verse and certain experiences taking small children with me during a short term time in the mission field…perhaps I’ll have to post it one of these days! Great encouragement for those hard mommy days!

17. BJ says:

Thank you for this. I am a mom of three boys and one girl. They are all close in age. And our fifth is on the way in May. I love what I do, but there are days when the weariness sets in, and I feel like I CAN’T DO THIS!!! Thanks for that reminder – I do so love that verse!

18. Tara says:

I posted this to my MOPS list. I did direct them to your blog. Hope that was okay. I was ministered to by your writing this morning and wanted to share that with other young mommies I love!

19. Katrina says:

What a wonderfully uplifting post, Shannon! My oldest is 8 and my youngest (and only other one) is 8 months, so by looking at all that my first-born is and does, I know in my mind that it all gets easier. But sometimes, when the baby’s sick or when he absolutely refuses to sleep, it still feels like I’ll never get to that “easier” place. I love the verse you shared – I’m going to be sticking it up in my kitchen today as a reminder of God’s gentle and constant presence.

20. Tracy says:

I may print this out and put it on my fridge. Thank you so much for encouraging me with exactly the right words at the right time! What a ministry you have provided!

21. Lauren S. says:

Thank you! The last few weeks have been difficult. However, I find myself going back and forth between wanting these days to be easier and wishing I could stop time! I have to remind myself not to wish their lives away!

22. Anne Glamore says:

It does. I just found a picture of all 3 of my boys in the den. The twins are about 18 months old and are wearing only diapers, duct taped on. My oldest is 3 and wearing only underwear. You can tell they’ve been playing in the ashes in the fireplace, and there’s not a sign of adulthood anywhere– only toys and a wastebasket with dirty diapers.
    This morning one twin scrambled eggs for his brothers. Praise the Lord!

23. amelia says:

Oh, it has been a tough few days and I needed to be reminded of this. (I just rescued the 3 month old from the sneezing, coughing 2 year old who was sitting on him in his swing…)

24. Rachel says:

Thank you so very much. I have been feeling very much that way recently. A four year old boy, two year old boy, 9 month baby girl and one due in July. You really helped me today. Thank you!!

25. Janelle says:

Thanks Shannon! Sometimes I need to hear from a Mom who’s gone before me, that we’ll make it. I’m starting to see the light myself, #2 is potty trained!

26. Sarah says:

That was wonderful! I have only one who is almost 7 months old and I hope to have more. So, I’m just starting on this Mommy journey. I look forward to the easier days and I also treasure the baby days. It is an interesting line I walk. Thank you for the scripture. I will probably write that on an index card and carry it with me. It greatly lifted my spirits. Thanks!

27. Jean says:

Oh I do remember those days! My two oldest boys are 12 months and 16 days apart. At that time the “baby” was 3 months premature so I not only had to “lug” both babies around to multiple trips to the doctor, but his oxygen tank and their supplies. Fun times! I did somehow make it through even though at the time I never thought it possible. Both are the bestest friends ever at 7 and 6 and nothing to “lug” around but the 2 year old.

28. Mrs. Schmitty says:

I SO know what you are saying. Mine are 8 (a very ACTIVE 8), 4, and 3. The youngest are only 10 months apart and with that active then 5 year old, 10 month old and newborn a few years ago…I thought I’d could NEVER handle it. Things are still hard, but yes, somewhat easier. And you know what? I’d love for another baby and do it all again!

29. aggiejenn says:

I really appreciate this, Shannon! This has been a trying week, and I’m so glad you spoke from your heart about this. Thanks for the Scripture, too…I think I’ll blow it up and stick it on the fridge! πŸ™‚

30. Jessica says:

Thanks so much for posting this. Even though I am young and my oldest is only five, I am the most experienced mom in my circle of friends. I haven’t had anyone encourage me like this in a long time. Wow, you have made my day.
    I am going to print that scripture out and tape it to my fridge!

31. Kelly says:

Oh, sweet woman, thank you. Thank you for whispering words of truth to a mommy’s heart. I AM sitting at my computer with spit-up in my hair, toddler boogers on my shoulder, and tears in my sleep-deprived eyes. Thank you for the encouragement.

32. Karlanee says:

Amen, sister, amen. I sometimes wish I could go back and be “now me” back then. How I’d love to have had the wisdom I do now. But I suppose, the wisdom came from enduring those days of being too overwhelmed to even cry.

33. Jill says:

That is a beautiful post, and as the Mommy of a two year old testing each and every boundary he possibly can, I certainly appreciate it!

34. nicole says:

Oh geez! I am totally crying now, and I am not even feeling overwhelmed by my circumstances lately. That is a beautiful verse and I never noticed it before. Thanks for your encouragement to all who need it (even those moms with older kids, b/c they are still lambs in every mother’s heart).

35. Amy says:

Oh, thank you!
    I’m 7 months pregnant and taking care of a 17 month old and wondering how on earth I’m going to be enough for both of them in 3 months when they’re both on the outside.
    Thank you.

36. Karen says:

After having spent the last week stuck in my home with three sick kids (two under the age of four), I THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for the encouragement you give! At times, I feel inadequate as a mother, barely in control of my own emotions — the only thing that gives me peace is the Word of God and knowing, as you have said, that He leads me.

37. Kassandra @ Blessed Quiver says:

Shannon as you always seem to do, you have peeked right inside my heart. As a mom to 4, I have had many of those moments! And I know that as the Lord fills my quiver, I will have many more. I thank you for sharing your wisdom with other moms!
    Bless you!
    Kassandra

38. Jenn says:

Thanks for the encouragement. My oldest is 5 and our fourth will be here in a couple of months. It was a great day when one could buckly their own car seat. After we put the fourth car seat in the van, no one else can fit!!

39. Liza says:

Well said Shannon…
    I too had my kids 15 months apart, I was going to work full time, my husband had 2 jobs (we were tying to pay off our huge credit card debt) – I honestly don’t know how I survived those years…but I did. Now it is easier..kids are now 8 and 9, hubby works only one job and my job is a little bit flexible.
    The verse you mentioned is awesome. I will copy that and send it to our friends with little ones.
    Love you post as usual.

40. Emily says:

Shannon, thank you for such an encouraging post. It came at exactly the right day for me – I needed to be reminded that my Shepherd is taking care us. I’m days away from birthing my second child, and my 21 month old, while the joy of my heart, takes so much ENERGY. I got up this morning and cried, wondering how I would ever get through the day, much less the continued sleep deprivation that I know will follow the birth! Thank you for a post that has helped restore some of my equilibrium. I’m off to read stories to my son. πŸ™‚

41. Jenn E says:

Oh, how I needed this today, just like everyone is saying. I have been feeling guilty lately dreaming of the day the last one who isn’t even born yet will leave home. Terrible thoughts, but it is so hard! I guess we have to learn to be content in any situation. It’s just good to hear from so many that have been there and are there now since we feel like we’re the only ones going through it being alone at home.
    Thank you! πŸ™‚

42. Another Heather says:

We have five under seven, the youngest is 10 mo. and no. 6 is on the way. What an encouragement! I’m not the only one that gets that person wailing inside my head that “I CAN”T DO THIS ANYMORE!” I actually just got out of the shower and all the kids are clean, too so now I am off to the kitchen to clean up there. Thanks again.

43. Laura in KY says:

This is so, so true. My first 2 children were 13 months apart. Child #2 and #3 were 14 months apart. Those were hard days. Despite the fact that I have 7 children now, many of them are quite little (ages 9, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, and 11 months), it is actually easier now than it was then. This is the second time that I’ve had 4 children ages 4 and under, and it’s much easier now than when my oldest was 4. The older children help out and I’m actually able to carry on intelligent conversations during the day. It’s a great balance. My prayers go out to the mothers with several little ones. It *WILL* get easier! πŸ™‚

44. Robin says:

Thanks Shannon. My two youngest are less than a year apart. My 7 year old already seems so big that I try to absorb all the baby moments- even the trying ones because they change so fast. Blogging about it helps me see the humor in the situations we get ourselves into- so that helps! πŸ™‚

45. Antique Mommy says:

This is a signature “Shannon” post – one that I think really reflects the essence of you as I know you – truthful, beautifully composed and encouraging. Very good my friend.

46. Jenny says:

I’m delurking to tell you that tears are streaming down my face. I REALLY needed to hear this since I have three little ones of my own. Some days I am about falling apart when I realize it is only 8am!! I’m glad His mercies are new every morning. Take care.

47. Becky says:

Thank you Shannon. Today is a particularly good day for me, but I often have those days when I don’t feel like I can do it. And, why oh why, did God choose me to be a parent. So, thank you, for your words of wisdom and encouragement and for sharing God’s words with us! All of us need to hear these things even if we know them already! It is so nice to know that we are not alone and that it does get easier. Thanks for sharing!

48. Jenny says:

Thank you Shannon! We are waiting for a referral from Ethiopia for our first babe. This is perfect! I’m going to have to linky to this post on my blog.

49. Mama says:

Mine are 13 months apart. I remember people telling me this and thinking they were crazy!!! But now I know. Some days are easier than others, but at least at 3 and 4 they can walk, go potty, one can buckle herself in the car….God is good!
    People now think I’m crazy when I say it would have been easier to have #3 when son was 13mo old instead of now when he’s 3yr. πŸ˜‰

50. MamaKoch says:

It doesn’t always get easier…it gets “different”. I had three boys very young (not real close tho) and it seems like I’ve had kids FOREVER! I had sympathy cards sent to me because I had my handsfull, and over the years I wonder/ponder how in the world I ever survived.
    They are productive (well, almost) citizens and that is the reward. Looking at them and realizing that my time with them was wonderfully spent and that they still LIKE ME! They may be in therapy some day complaining about me, but I was definitely a big part of their lives and they were definitely a big part of mine…and still are thankfully!
    Good post. Thanks for bringing back memories….no wonder I was so skinny back then!

51. edj says:

So true. I had 3 kids in 20 months–3 in diapers, etc. It was unbelievably hard.
    Now I can stay in bed and yell “Get up kids!” and go back to sleep while they get their own breakfast and get themselves ready for school. Not that I would ever do that. Not me. I’m a good, attentive mother. Really.

52. Lucy says:

My mother keeps telling me this is the hardest year of my life. Actually, it’s been the hardest two years, between the pregnancy and the first year of #3’s life. My kids are all about two years apart, so it’s not as bad as having them all be babies at the same time, but it’s still hard! I think I’m going to put this whole post on my fridge!
    Thank you. Obviously, you struck a cord for many overwhelmed and desperate mothers. Bless you for posting this!

53. Jenna says:

I’m sitting here bawling because that is just what I needed to hear! I’m a first time Mommy to a six month old, and honestly, I don’t know how moms can handle more than one! But the Lord is good. His grace is sufficient. Thank you so much for sharing this! It’s just perfect…

54. Jessica Snell says:

Thank you so much! I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve posted a link to this post on my blog, so people can come over here and read it – it’s exactly what any mom of little ones needs to hear! (Let me know if linking’s not okay, and I’ll take it off.)
    I remember when I first realized that it was NORMAL to feel like inertia was against me when I had to get not just myself out of bed, dressed, pottied and fed, but two whole other people as well! In college just getting myself up could feel like too much some days, and now I have to get THREE people up and going (okay, with my husband’s help!) – no wonder I’m tired!
    peace of Christ to you,
    Jessica

55. Tami says:

Thank you so much, from a mom of three (5,3, and 2) who just found out I am expecting our fourth. This post was a real blessing to my heart. Scripture ministers like nothing else can.

56. Dini says:

I also posted a link to this post on my blog. It feels so great to have someone actually validate what we are all feeling at this time in our lives. That’s all I want to hear when I’m having a bad day with the kiddies…not advice…just “I know what you are going through”. So thank you Shannon.

57. jen says:

Ah – what a great verse! I can’t wait to share “you” with a friend of mine who just wrote this morning saying she wasn’t so sure about #3, who is coming a bit faster than they had planned!
    Great post!
    jen

58. Lei says:

Oh I just love this… right up my alley. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this! We have to believe it will get better, or we might not desire to put in the effort. πŸ™‚

59. Lari says:

Wonderful post Shannon! Sometimes you say exactly what’s in my head! I remember those days too…when they won’t nap and I hadn’t slept in days…and everyone’s cranky…it’s a nice reminder and encouragement to new moms that “it’ll be OK!” and it does get better.

60. Luv2bhsmama says:

What a wonderful post. A much needed encouragement no matter where you are at the parenting stage. I have 2 under 2 and I am pregnant but I also have 2 older ones. Each age has different needs but sometimes everyone needing you can be overwhelming. THank you for pointing to God’s Word as well as your own experience.

61. Sally says:

My girls are 4 1/2 years apart, but the oldest decided to give up naps right after we brought her new baby sister home. And the new baby did not sleep through the night for 5 months!! I was SO exhausted at the time, but I would do it all again in a heartbeat. They are teenagers now, and they both sleep a LOT these days!! Times can be trying when your children are young(or when they are teenagers!!), but it is all worth it.

62. trina says:

I REALLY needed this today. Lately I have felt very overwhelmed and underqualified so to speak. I hate feeling this way as it crowds out my ability to treasure my children while they are young.
    Thanks, Shannon for being a vessel of encouragement. The Lord knew I needed that.

63. Lisa says:

My two young ones are 8 months and 21 days apart. It does get easier, or maybe just different. God always allowed me to find the strength, and encouragement that I too could perservere. Prayer is awesome.

64. Alli says:

Thanks, Shannon. My oldest just turned 4 (his name is Stephen) while the younger two are 2 and 3 months. It’s been a hard couple of weeks. I always say that this is what I’m supposed to be doing (staying at home with them) and I love it and can’t imagine doing anything else, but all that doesn’t make actually DOING it easy. It’s hard most days and I just live in survival mode. Thanks for the wisdom and encouragement. You’ll never know how much of a difference it has made!

65. Christy in TN says:

Wow. Thanks for writing this. There were so many days when I thought I was going to go over the edge and never come back. For some reason, it always seemed like all the other moms had it together, so I felt like there was really something wrong with me. Now that my little ones are almost 4 & 2, it’s getting better. Unless you count this morning … I wrote about it over at The Abundant Life.

66. CanadianCarrie says:

Thank You! I needed that today. It’s a little crazy around here today already. As are most days. Thanks again!

67. Sarah says:

Thank You for your encouragement. I have four young boys… and have been feeling soooo overwhelmed and tired. God has used you to speak to me.

68. Amy says:

God Bless You! It is so comforting to know that others have been there, done that. As I am enjoying a quiet moment to myself and reflecting on all that you have said, I remember that God puts people in our paths to comfort, encourage and support us. You are one of those and I thank you for opening yourself up and helping me see that the bad days turn into “wet smooches” from the little one and those melt your heart grins that make one realize how truly blessed I am to be a mommy.

69. rach says:

this post made me laugh out loud AND cry. you’ve doneit again, friend. just this morning i thought, “how am i EVER going to be able to leave the house again????????????”

70. Julie says:

I just found your blog today, and tears are flowing down my face as I type this. I SOOO needed to read today’s post. Thank you so much. You now have another faithful blog reader in me.

71. Nancy the Romancechick says:

I have a 17-year-old daughter and a 4-year-old son. One is sleeping because she missed school for a bad cold (woke up at 4:15 and spent an hour trying to breathe) and the other is lying on the living room floor watching Thomas the Tank Engine. I saw in my recliner, knitting the little one some socks and I thought, “I have a great life. At least right now.” You’re right. There were times when each of them was little (since they weren’t at the same time!) that I wondered why I ever decided to that kids were a good idea. Now, though, as I see her turning into a Godly woman (who still needs to learn to clean the kitchen and her room!) and he is becoming a funny, interesting boy who apparently thinks deep thoughts about Jesus that he’s not quite able to express yet, I know that all the pain and tears and trials are worth it.

72. Liz says:

my eyes got teary when i read that. i have been holding a 10 month old all day with a 100 fever. by the way, i really like reading your site.

73. Holly says:

from a mom of a 2 1/2 yr old, 1 1/2 yr old (13 months apart) and twin 2 1/2 month olds (15 months)
    through my encouraged tears…thank you.

74. laurakathryn says:

Thank you! I have three precious girls – 4 yrs., 2 yrs. and 3 months…little stairsteps of cuteness. I try to be thankful in everything and it’s nice to be reminded that this is a difficult job and we are not alone…lots of supportive friends and fellow mommies and of course our Heavenly Father. Thanks for reminding me today when I am so tired. You inspire me!

75. Char says:

Delurking to say THANK YOU!! I have two boys, ages 4 and 1 1/2, and a baby girl on the way in just a few weeks, and I’ve been struggling a LOT the last couple weeks as I reach the “I don’t want to be pregnant anymore!!” stage. I’ve been on modified bed rest with this pregnancy, which is pretty laughable with two little ones to care for, and I’ve been wondering a lot how I’m going to take care of THREE! It’s been overwhelming, and she isn’t even here yet! I so needed this post. I’m going to print it out to read whenever I need it again.. and again.

76. cbg says:

Thank you so very much for this post-I like so many others who have commented really needed to hear this today. What a blessing your blog is!!!

77. Christine says:

You obviously hit on something with this post judging by all the comments. I am one saying, “Thank the Lord!!!” as I read. I’m expecting my 4th and his brother just turned one, so they’ll be 17 months apart- the shortest span of all of them- and I’m wondering daily, “How will I do this???”
    We all love you for this post, those of us dragging toddlers in melt-down mode, that is…

78. Shelly says:

Thank you, thank you! What a blessing this was to me today. Hubby (the best one in the world, BTW) somehow doesn’t quite get how I can love being a mom so fiercely and still feel this way! Thank you for reminding me that there are many out there who relate.

79. Leanne says:

Simply….thank you. I got goose bumps reading that verse, how wonderful to know that He knows, and understands.
    There are days and then there are days….

80. Mommy Dearest says:

You truly brought tears to my eyes. I have older, younger, and everything in the middle. I just finished being a study hall monitor at my kids’ music program for one hour. I had to take my 19-month-old, 3-year-old, 5-year-old, and 7-year-old with me. All of the older kids were looking like “What are those little kids doing here?” and my little ones were showing off as if no one had ever paid them a moment’s attention. I was one of the longest hours of my life. Thanks for the words of encouragement and the verse.

81. Jody says:

Shannon,
    What a blessed gift you’ve given to so many today. It made me tear-up as I remembered Those Days. As the mom of five who are in their twenties and teens now, I can join in your chorus,
    “It gets easier and it gets good.”
    May I add, “VERY GOOD.”
    Thanks,
    Jody

82. MarciaVigil says:

You’re right that time between toddlers and teens is so wonderful and teens are fun too but older, driving, dating teens a different type of exhausting so I would take back the poopy diapers, crusty hair,mindless rhyming books and sleepless nights in a heart beat.

83. lori m says:

Shannon,
    Once again you have written what many people need to hear….including me. Being pregnant with my third, I have often wonder how you do it with four and keep your sanity (as you seem to do). My 2.5 year old is a handful with lots of challenges on a daily basis. I keep wondering if I/we’ve made the right decision on bringing just one more in to this world. Of course, it’s too late to change our minds but never too late to wonder. Thank you for the wonderful post. As someone told my husband, about children, “long days, short years”. That helps put things in perspective….most days!

84. Jen says:

It does get easier. And as you watch your teenagers struggling with new issues, you remember those preschool years with such fondness.
    Every stage is wonderful! Sometimes we just forget that while we’re in it, though. :o)

85. JenMom @ LotsofScotts says:

SOOOOOOO good. I am the mother of 3 toddlers. I linked to this on my blog today. I was just writing a few days ago about how people steal young Moms joy by saying…”just you wait…” with a negative connotation. Thanks for the antithesis of that attitude!

86. Heidi says:

I have one toddler and one on the way and you don’t even know (well you must) how amazingly needed these words were today. That verse is going up on my fridge and I am so very grateful to you for this post!

87. Christine says:

My new mantra, “It will get better, It will get better!”
    Thank you for the encouragement. Sharing this has helped me feel not so alone with my sometime “feelings of helplessness”.
    A wonderful verse too.

88. Karen says:

With all the others, Thank you!
    For such a long time I cried and spent my days as a frustrated, irritable mother, looking for help NOW. I didn’t think I could wait for “someday.”
    Then God showed me what He’s doing TODAY that gave me hope for every day and every trial. He is using my children and my struggles as a mother to make me into the woman He wants me to be. Now, while I have the real hope that things will be better someday, I also have joy knowing He’s using TODAY for good, too!

89. Kelley says:

I can echo so much of what you wrote today, Shannon. I have 3 kids, 11, 6 and 4. And while there were times when I really thought I would never see daylight again, I can also testify that life is once again (dare I say?) GOOD. Though I wouldn’t turn back time for anything, I now look back and see the joy my kids have brought to my life at EVERY stage.
    Shannon, I can see that so many have been encouraged by your story. And that’s the way it should be.

90. on the Rock says:

This is so nice even as I read it as a pre-mom. What I am going through now to become a mom is horribly insane as it is. Your words are nice “It gets easier…” Thanks.
    Blessings!

91. GranolaGirl12 says:

How does it feel to make so many women cry in one day? πŸ™‚ I definitely had tears when I read this post this morning.
    You should submit this to something– a parenting magazine? a newspaper? It’s beautiful and just what so many of us needed to hear as we mother out babies. Thank you for being our mentor and our encourager. What a blessing you’ve been to the Blogosphere.

92. Rhonda says:

I had 4 little girls in less than 4 years, and this verse is one of my favorites, too. My oldest is just 6, so I still cling to it. Thanks for your beautiful words of encouragement.
    I am linking to this post from my blog, hope that’s ok. πŸ™‚

93. Jenny says:

Thank you so much for this really, really encouraging post. I am 2.5 months from having my 4th baby. My kids are 8, 6, and 19 months. I know in my head that it gets easier because I have 2 “older” children, but I’m also a little nervous heading back into the days of 2 in diapers and very dependent on Mom. Thanks for reminding me that I am not doing this alone. I’m going to put the verse from Isaiah onto a 3×5 card and it’s going to be my theme verse for the next however long. Thanks again for the encouraging post!!

94. Sarah's in the Midst of It says:

“A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”
    Your words, sweet friend, are a balm to so many. I needed to read this one tonight. Every night:)
    Thank you for saying it with compassion–that’s a blessing.

95. Tamara Cosby says:

Passing this on to my friends. Thank you. Please let me know if this is something I can put on my blog, linking of course to yours! πŸ™‚ One of my other friends just found your blog, she loves it as much as I do, thank you!

96. Liz Borbe says:

Thank you for this post.
    Obviously it has been a blessing to many mommys out there, myself included!…the verse you wrote is a great reminder of how gentle God is and so lovingly gives us the grace to embrace and get through each day…
    thanks again,
    Liz

97. peach says:

Shannon,
    I don’t know what I could possibly say that hasn’t already been said, but I do remember so clearly those years as well when my days were filled with the needs of a 4yr.old, 16mo. old and newborn. I would go days at a time without ever leaving my house, and if anyone got sick–I might not have seen “real” clothes until everyone was well. Why ruin the good stuff on boogers and throw up?
    Thanks for being a beacon in the otherwise dim tunnel that mommyhood can be at times when we are surrounded by so many so small. You are truly a blessing to hundreds of thousands of women all over the world. I am so glad to call you friend!

98. Lane says:

I just found your blog and wanted to say “hi” and thanks for the encouraging words. I’m a mom of four small ones (getting bigger all the time)and that verse is very conforting. Thanks! I’ll be adding you to my blogroll if that’s ok.

99. Lane says:

I just found your blog and wanted to say “hi” and thanks for the encouraging words. I’m a mom of four small ones (getting bigger all the time)and that verse is very comforting. Thanks! I’ll be adding you to my blogroll if that’s ok.

100. HolyMama! says:

oh shannon. if i had a ‘favorite post ever award’ kinda thing, well, this would get it. i’ve heard that same scripture in my spirit the last few days, and just been awed by its power to calm me and reassure me.
    what a MINISTRY this blog has become – especially this very post. WAY TO GO!

101. Dana says:

What an encouraging post. I have been struggling with my 2 (almost 3) year old tantrums following the birth of our 3rd child in September. He never did tantrums but the last 5 months have been full of them. Thanks for reminding me it will get easier and to cherish them now.

102. Kelly M says:

Thank you, Shannon. Over her from Owlhaven, almost didn’t read past the WFMW, sooooo glad I caught the title of this post. Boy, you summed it up better than I could. I have two almost-three-year-olds and a one-year-old, and we’re getting ready to adopt a new baby in the summer. Just having the girls almost three has been a relief too, because they can talk, they can obey, they can run and get a diaper or a pacifier for the baby, they love to help… my girlfriend who has a newborn and an 18-month old is beginning the craziness, and is calling me with the weepy “does it EVER get better?” I’m sending her a link to this post. I think I ought to print this on notecards and hand it out to every mama of young ones I know!

103. Mx5 says:

My 5 kids range in age from 7yrs to 16yrs. I am amazed at how much better everything is now, but I do miss those baby days (at least the snuggling, cooing stuff).
    I look at moms with 2 or 3 little ones and wonder, “How did we live through that?”. It didn’t seem that difficult at the time, just extremely exhausting.
    I have told many young moms that, in my opinion, chasing 3 little ones is like a new level of parenting. It’s chaos. When we added baby 4 and 5, it didn’t add to the chaos, it just added to the laundry. The good thing is that everyone gets older.
    Now EVERYONE in my family can tie their own shoes and make their own breakfasts and lunches. They even clean the house. Ahhhhhh. It does get easier. I tell young moms to mentally add 5 years to each child’s age and think about how life might be different then; and we know how quickly 5 years flies by.
    Great post, Shannon.

104. Pieces says:

Your post has perfectly captured the reason why I became a Mentor Mom for a MOPS group this year–so I can tell them it gets easier. And to help them carry that load to the car on the way out!

105. kiki says:

I know you have received 142 other comments, mostly thanking you, but I too want to say THANK YOU! I am a SAHM with a 2.5 yr. old boy and a 10 month old boy. Those words of encouragement are what I needed to read today after commenting to my husband this morning, do you think I will ever get to sleep through the night again?! Thanks for the encouragement! Funny how the Lord provides what we need in a place I would not have thought.

106. Jackie says:

Dr. Dobson said that a mother with a toddler and infant has the hardest job of all. He was right.
    I have seven children, 15 to 6, and it was hardest when they were young. But, Shannon, you’re absolutely right. It does get easier! It really does! Precious words!
    Another piece of advice that was given to me when I had my first baby was to enjoy each stage of the child’s life. It goes by so fast!

107. Aimee says:

I happened upon your blog from Holy Mama!
    I was so encourage when I read you’re post! I am a mom to a 4 1/2 yo, 2 1/2 yo and a 15 mo. As I’m sure you know, it is not easy, but I’m happier to hear that it does get easier! Thanks for the encouragement!!

108. Amanda says:

I just wrote about it being hard sometimes on my blog yesterday. PEople have been telling me about this post and from the amount of comments you have recieved, it’s obvious you were sensitive to teh Holy Spirit when writing this. We all needed this! I have a four year old, two year old and two week old. Yesteday was a bad day and this makes me smile. The paragraph you wrote about Thomas and Dora, wow! You read my mail.
    Thanks for this. You blessed me!

109. Amanda says:

I just wrote about it being hard sometimes on my blog yesterday. People have been telling me about this post and from the amount of comments you have received, it’s obvious you were sensitive to the Holy Spirit when writing this. We all needed this! I have a four year old, two year old and two week old. Yesterday was a bad day and this makes me smile. The paragraph you wrote about Thomas and Dora, wow! You read my mail.
    Thanks for this. You blessed me!

110. Amanda says:

Thanks for this. You blessed me!

111. Christa says:

Thanks for this encouraging post to keep my eyes fixed on the Lord who will guide and sustain me through all that He wants me to be and do. God bless!

112. Code Yellow Mom says:

Thanks so much – this is a sweet and helpful reminder. Even better than the little old men who sometimes stop me at the grocery store and say, “There’s a special place in heaven for mothers of boys.” πŸ˜‰ I’m going to post this one in my heart, as boy number three in four years will be here in June. πŸ™‚ Always wonderful to know there are footsteps to follow. And that it really can be done with grace and hope.

113. Gina says:

Oh wow. Many thanks to my friend who emailed me a link to this today – after she read my meltdown on my blog. After almost 10 years of infertility, I’ve had 3 baby girls in 35 months (only the first one was with medical assistance – the other two have been wonderful surprises from God). Never in my life did I think I would be struggling with an ungrateful heart about motherhood – but I have been the past few days. I really want to be the woman in Psalm 113:9 (He makes the barren woman a joyful mother of children and causes her to abide in a happy home). I’ve been far from a joyful mother and my home has certainly not been happy. I literally sobbed as I read your post. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! Motherhood is hard work. Motherhood of babies close together is just plain insanity sometimes!

114. Monique says:

I am a mother to 4 children ages 4 and under. I have a 4 yr. old, 3 yr.old, 18 months and expecting #4 in 2 months. My husband is a Lutheran pastor (Missouri Synod) and so I have a lot of long days by myself. I Sooooo needed to read this blog. I’m copying down the verse from Isaiah and putting it on my bathroom mirror. Thanks!

115. Sarah Joy says:

Well, since there are 160 comments, I’m sure what I have to say has already been said, BUT thanks for a wonderful article!
    I have four young’ns under the age of five. (Until next month) All of them needed me last night several times.
    That was an encouragement, and on that note, I’m going to bed!

116. Jennifer says:

Oh my word… I have never cried over a blog before — you silly goose. This brought tears to my eyes!!!
    SIGH — it’s gets easier… but the LORD paused, and said to me — a mommy of young ones, “Moms, I know it’s hard. But I will lead you. And I will lead you gently.” Oh me… there goes those wet things again… yes tears.
    MAY THE LORD BLESS YOU TODAY — MAY HIS FACE SHINE UPON YOU MY FRIEND!
    I followed a link from mamabecks blog… Ü

117. Erica says:

I am so SO GLAD that I came across this post today. I linked to it today on my blog post..I hope you don’t mind. I do a blog surfing post each Friday where I share a few links to posts I had come across throughout the week that I liked.

118. Laurie in TN says:

Shannon,
    What a beautiful post. Yes, it does get easier. My children are grown now but I remember “those days.” Someday your children will tell you that you’re the best mom in the world. And your heart will smile and it will all be worth it. I used to say that God doesn’t give us more than we can handle but I’ve changed my view on that. Sometimes I think He gives us more than we can handle so we can lean on Him and call out to Him. Thank you for sharing.